- Sports and Recreation
Some Items That You Will Need To Get You Backpacking!
Are you confused on what to bring?
Backpacking is one of my favorite things to do and I hope that it will soon be one of yours! What can you say about it that you don't like? It is a great source of exercise, you get to see breathtaking views, and it is a great way to get away from the hassles of everyday life. The great part about backpacking is that you do not need that much stuff to get you our on the trail. Since you are reading this article I am guessing that you want to know what to take on your first backpacking expedition! This article is here so that you have a pleasant first experience in the sport of backpacking.
The Big ticket Items You Will Need.
A person never wants to have a miserable trip because you forgot to bring something to keep you somewhat comfortable so I made you a list so that you don't hate backpacking the first time that you go.
- A good quality backpack - I am sure that you know that you need this but I really wanted to emphasize the "good quality part." Trust me you do not want to be stuck in the wilderness with a pack that is falling apart.
- A Sleeping bag - There is nothing better than getting in your sleeping bag after a hard day.
- A comfortable and light sleeping pad - You don't absolutely need a sleeping pad but they are very nice.
- A good quality tent.- Just remember that your tent will be your house for the trip so you might as well get a nice one.
- Lightweight clothes that are good for layering. - I would really recommend that you get a nice pair of hiking pants and get clothes that pack small so that you don't have to use a really big pack
- Food - Food does take up a lot of room in your pack and it is quite heavy but obviously it is essential. Mountain House is the most reputable backpacking food company and in my opinion it tastes the best. If you have a dehydrator you can make your own food! Also bring snacks for on the trail.
- Something to cook your food with and eat it out of. - Many companies make nice compact camp stoves. The common ones are jetboil, and pocketrocket.
The smaller items....
As you probably know, the stuff that I listed above is not all that you need. In fact you actually need quite a bit more small stuff to make your trip/adventure truly wonderful. I made you just another small list of the small items that you will need! (keep in mind that these are the items that somehow fill your pack more than you expected)
- Water Purifier or Iodine tablets - These do not completely take the risk out of getting diseases from the water but they sure make you feel a lot better about drinking water.
- Rain Gear - It is always possible that it could rain in the mountains!
- Compass - They are always very nice to have.
- Map or GPS - You wouldn't want to get lost would you?
- Camping Pillow - Some people do not take these but they do make your night much more comfortable.
- Ground Cover for your tent - This is just a light plastic thing that protects the bottom of your tent.
- A fishing pole if you want but its not something that you will always take - Why not bring one?
- A camera - There is nothing better than updating your profile picture with a fresh new selfie with mountains in the background.
How many of you out there always take a fishing pole
The big picture.
Just remember that backpacking is all about seeing new places and having fun! The items that I listed above are all about ensuring that you have fun while you backpack. I have some simple tips for you though! Do not bring to much thinking that the extra stuff that you are bringing will make you comfortable because you will really be hating that extra weight when you are making a steep ascent. Another thing that I would really recommend is to always test your gear before you leave on your big adventure. I hope that I helped! Happy Backpacking!