- Sports and Recreation
Dodgeball Strategies to Improve Your Game!
Everybody knows about the game of dodgeball, but that doesn't mean that you are good at it. Below are ten ways to succeed at the fun, and sometimes scary game!
1. Don't be afraid of the ball. If a ball is thrown at you, don't automatically assume you are going to have to dodge it. If the ball is not going to fast, THEN CATCH IT! It's not rocket science. However, by saying this I am not telling you that you should automatically go for catching the ball as soon as one is thrown at you. If you think you can catch it, then do, if not, then don't. Its simple.
2. Make smart throws. If someone is ready for you to throw the ball at them, wait for them to look away, and then throw it! DO NOT THROW THE BALL, IF THEY ARE LOOKING STRAIGHT AT YOU AND EXPECTING IT. Chances are they will catch the ball, and you will be out. So use your brain, and don't throw a ball at someone unless you know that you are going to hit them.
3. Use teamwork. This is a big one. Sometimes, teamwork is all you need to get someone out, and possibly even win. It is extremely hard to catch two balls thrown very hard at you at the same time, so you could probably do that. Which brings us to...
4. Don't waste your throws. Don't go throwing your ball as soon as you get it. Wait for the right opportunity to throw the ball. Say someone is as far away from you as they can possibly get, in this case, DON'T GO AND THROW THE BALL AT THEM! For the 1 out of 10 chance that you will actually hit them, it is not worth the throw. Especially because there is a big possibility of someone catching the ball.
5. Lead people on. If someone on the other team is running full speed across the field, don't throw it straight at where they are. Lead them on a little. It will do no good aiming at where their body used to be; it will just be wasting a valuable throw. By leading them on, you increase your chances of actually hitting them (unless you have a VERY strong arm).
6. Sometimes hiding isn't a bad thing. By this I mean that sometimes waiting in the back until a ball is either lofted to you, for you to catch, or rolls to you, you should maybe play it safe by just waiting in the back of the playing area. Especially if you would consider yourself one of the worse players. If that is the case, then I would actually recommend this strategy.
7. Make moves. If you know that someone is about to throw a ball at you; DON'T JUST STAND THERE! That does no good whatsoever. I would recommend either ducking, jumping, or the hardest one, making an abrupt stop. If the player throwing the ball at you tends to throw it high, then duck. If he tends to throw it low, then jump. If he is leading you on, then you should probably make an abrupt stop so that he will lead you on to much. NOTE: Making an abrupt stop is hard, and very risky, same with all of these strategies. I recommend trying to catch the ball.
8. Throw it hard. This should go without saying. But it is harder to dodge a really fast moving ball, then a ball that has been lightly tossed (and is very easy to catch).
9. Aim for the waist. Aiming for the waist is the best way to go when throwing a dodgeball. Since it will be harder to duck, and you can't jump that high. Also, while aiming for the waist you are more likely to just hit somewhere; anywhere on the other person. Aiming for the waist will increase your accuracy, and your chance of winning.
10. Give the ball to the stronger person. If you don't have the strongest arm, and you know it, then perhaps you are better off not throwing the ball, and giving it to someone with a stronger arm than you. By doing this, it decreases your chances of getting out, and increases the chances of eliminating the other team.
I hope that these techniques were found helpful, and that you will use them to your advantage. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GAME!