Texas Passes Catfish "Noodling" Bill
What is Noodling?
Noodling is the sport of catching catfish with one's bare hands.These hand caught catfish can weigh up to 100 pounds! "Noodling" was a Class C misdemeanor in Texas, punishable by a fine of up to $500. But since the bill has passed, it is no longer a crime to be engaged in an activity that screams "hey look at me I'm a redneck!"
Cute Girls Catfish Noodling
Gary Elkins Proposed the Bill
State Rep. Gary Elkins, R-Houston, introduced a bill to legalize "noodling." He was originally unaware it was an illegal activity and despite of his lack of desire to participate in the activity; he felt the State should play no part in prohibiting "noodlers" from forcing their hands down the throats of the un-expecting catfish.
What Was it Illegal?
- Snakes - Like the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin contain a venomous bite.
- Snapping Turtles - Can cause the loss of fingers.
- These Catfish can weigh an enormous amount, and are know to be aggressive. This creates a combination that is potentially dangerous.
There are also proponents are claim the sport that is most commonly practiced during the summer season will be destructive towards the spawning season of the catfish. The fisherman who "noodle" these catfish are leaving the eggs in the burrow vulnerable to predators.
Funny Noodling Redneck Fishing Catfish
- NOODLING: The Sport Of Letting A Catfish Chomp On Your Hand Could Soon Be Legal In Texas
This is weirder than planking.
- There's More Than One Way to Land a Catfish in Texas 82nd Legislative Session | The Texas Tribune
The Texas Tribune is your source for Texas Legislature News. Read this article for more on Texas Laws and Gary Elkins. Statewide Texas News.
- Rachel Farris: Texas Republicans Pass "Noodling" Bill
Perhaps, for voters, this will be a lesson learned. From fishing to the Texas legislature, it's not the size of your noodle but how you use it.