The Best Female Athletes of All Time
Fantastic Female Athletes
Who is The Best?
Who is the best female athlete of all time?
Serena Williams Book
Olympic Legend: Jackie Joyner- Kersee
Top Ten Women Athletes
1. Babe Didrikson Zaharias (Golf, 80M Hurdles, High Jump, Javelin, Basketball) Zaharias was an All-American basketball player. She won three medals, two gold and one silver, for track and field in the Olympics. She is most famous for Golf and she even helped found the LPGA. Babe excelled in each sport that she chose to participate in and, she was an inspiration to not only women but, anyone who wanted to play sports for a living. She always had a positive attitude and she even had a postal stamp named for her.
2. Jackie Joyner-Kersee (Long Jump, Heptathlon) Joyner-Kersee won six Olympic medals, 3 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze, for the long jump and the heptathlon. At UCLA college she excelled in basketball and track, and was ranked the 15th best basketball player in UCLA Women's basketball. Joyner-Kerse holds The Women's World Record in the Heptathlon and she is second on the all time list for the long jump. She appeared in four Olympic Games and received a medal in each. She is one of, if not, the most famous female athlete of all time. She was a regular on television shows and commercials during the 1980s.
3. Annika Sorenstam (Golf) Sorenstam has won 90 women golf tournaments worldwide which makes her the the female golfer with the most wins in history. She won ten Majors as a tennis pro and a total of 72 LPGA tournaments during her distinguished career. She holds many records including, being the 8 time female golf player of the year, only woman golfer to shoot a 59, and she has the lowest season average of 68.69. One thing that made her special, was that she was excellent in every area most of the time. Sorenstam could putt, play on the green, and fairway and of course drive with equal measure. Also, She never folded under pressure but, rather on the contrary she excelled in the spotlight.
4. Mia Hamm (Soccer) Hamm is a legendary forward in ladies soccer and she is the women's U.S. Soccer team leading assistant maker with 144. She has been inducted into the Soccer Hall of Fame and she was a tenacious player to say the least. Hamm holds many ACC college records in ladies soccer with 103 goals and 72 assists. She took the North Carolina Tarheels to four NCAA National Championships in five seasons of play. She won a gold medal in the 1996 Olympics and her professional career was just amazing. She was highly skilled and never seemed to tire. Hamm could and has proven that she can play even when she was hurt. She was commercialized well by signing contracts with several companies including: Gatorade, Pepsi and Nike.
5. Steffi Graf (Tennis) Graf is a Tennis legend who has 22 Grand Slam Singles Championships to her credit which is second on the all time list. One of the biggest things to look at when judging greatness, is longevity. Having said that, Graf has a record that may never be broken in tennis and that is, that she was ranked number one in the world for 377 weeks in total. She has 103 total championships which is third on the career all time list. She had a ruthless, forehand drive and, she was super fast as she often showed by dashing the court to save the volley. She never seemed to run out of steam and she was very famous in America and Europe for her never say die attitude, and her tough play on the court.
6. Billie Jean King (Tennis) King is very famous in tennis and part of it was because of her Battle of the Sexes dual against Bobby Riggs in which she famously beat a man after back and forth bickering in the media. The other reason she is so famous is because she was skilled in every aspect of the game of tennis. She won 39 Grand Slam Titles, and 129 total titles throughout her solid career on the court. She was could compete with anybody and her competitive drive was second to none. She had a never quit attitude, as evidenced by the multiple times that she staged comeback wins.
7. Ann Wolfe (Boxing) Brown Sugar as she was called was a deadly puncher with her left hook and her overhand right. Wolfe held championships in Jr. Middleweight, Middleweight, Super Middleweight, and the Light Heavyweight, all at the same time! Her final career record is 24-1 with 16 knockouts. She has a steel chin and she threw lots of punches to overwhelm her opponents. She now trained her daughter and professional 154 pound male boxer James Kirkland. Wolfe came from homelessness to the top and her training methods for herself and for any of her fighters is more like a military boot camp. She trains them very hard. This in turn gives them the stamina that they need to last the 12 rounds (that is, if they don't get a knockout, before then).
8. Serena Williams (Tennis) Williams is the only female athlete to amass over 50 million in professional prize money and she is widely regarded as the best grass court player in ladies tennis history. Also, Williams is the oldest player to ever reach the number one world ranking in female tennis competition. Williams has won an amazing four gold medals in the Olympic Games and she is very athletic and known worldwide because of her in your face game, and her success on television in commercials, and on talk shows.
9. Martina Navratilova (Tennis) Navratilova is a legend in tennis on the court and as a coach. She holds many records including: being the only tennis player to be ranked number one in the world in both singles and doubles for 200 weeks. This is simply astonishing. She connected with the fans, and almost like an over achieving underdog and she was very outspoken on topics that she shared with the press and public.
10. Christy Martin (Boxing) The Coal Miners Daughter fought in a style similar to Mike Tyson by bobbing and weaving and throwing short and compact hooks with both hands. She became famous in boxing by fighting on paper view under cards featuring Mike Tyson and it culminated with her appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Martin has a career record in boxing of 49-7-3 with 31 knockouts. She is partially responsible for helping kick start women's boxing and she did it with an offensive style that appealed to female and male sports fans.
Serena Williams Tournament Wins
Olympics (Gold medal)
Tennis Great: Serena Williams
Legendary Ladies of Sports
Ann Wolfe: The Trainer of Men Boxers
Ann Wolfe who is one of the best female boxers in history and her training habits were amazing. Well, Wolfe has began training fighters, in particular, James Kirkland. Kirkland is a top ranked jr. Middleweight boxer and he is best known for his outstanding training habits especially the conditioning which is conducted by none other than Ann Wolfe herself. She is also very motivational in the corner and focuses on non stop aggression to help her boxers overcome obstacles in the squared circle.
* Please share your thoughts on these great athletes in the comments capsule at the bottom of this sports hub.
Jackie Joyner-Kersee Highlights (Olympic Runner)
Women's National Basketball Association
The WNBA started officially in 1996 and it is composed of 12 ladies professional basketball teams. This professional sport is definitely a work in progress with mixed results so far. Like most sports that women have started, hard work and never giving up, will end up impressing people and making them want to see watch the sport.
Ann Wolfe Destroys Vonda Ward (Boxing)
The Wide World of Sports
- Best Female Boxers of All Time
This article documents the top women boxers ever. Laila Ali, Christy Martin and Anne Wolf are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, maps, you tube videos, polls and commentary are listed in this hub also.
- UFC Legend: Royce Gracie Tribute
This article documents UFC and Martial Arts Legend, Royce Gracie. He is one of the pioneers of cage fighting and he won the first 3 UFC Tournaments. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed in this Fighting hub.
- Best Female Golfers of All Time
Annika Sorenstam and Mickey Wright are featured in this Golfing article. Pictures, videos, a map and poll and other facts are listed here. Also, commentary and other information are in this hub.
- Best NBA Players in History
This article is about the top basketball players in NBA history. Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabarr are listed here. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed in tis hub.
- Sports on The Water!
This article describes the top water sports in the world. Fishing, boating and sailing are featured in this water sports hub. Pictures, videos, a poll and commentary are also listed in this blog.
Serena Williams Tennis Highlights
view quiz statistics
Birthplace of Jackie Joyner-Kersee (East St. Louis, Illinois)
© 2014 Buster Johnson