Types of Wrestling Matches: A to Z on the WWE
Wrestling Match Variations
Which is The Best Match?
Which is your favorite Wrestling match?
Wrestling DVDs on Amazon
What is It?
view quiz statistics
20 of The Best Types of Wrestling Matches
1. Singles Matches: Singles matches are usually scheduled for only one fall and the time limit can vary. Some of the best wrestling title bouts ever were basic one-on-one wrestling matches. Singles is the number one match that occurs in wrestling. Head to head to see who the better man actually is.
2. Handicap Match: This is a match where one wrestler is at a significant disadvantage. A prime example of this is two-on-one or a match where one wrestler has a weapon and the other one doesn't. These contests occur very often and the handicap can vary from match to match.
3. Iron Man Match: This is a multiple fall match with a certain time limit set. Whichever wrestler wins, will have to win by pinfall, disqualification or count out. These bouts require desire, heart and plenty of stamina. They are usually part of special events and thousands attend and millions more watch these bouts.
4. Steel Cage Matches: A steel cage match is a match in which a cage is lowered over the ring. To win the match, the wrestler must climb over the top of the cage and out to the floor. This is my favorite type of wrestling bout. The first wrestling event I ever watched was a steel cage bout involving Hulk Hogan and King Kong Bundy.
5. No Count Out Matches: This match can be wrestled inside or outside the ring because there's no count outs. These matches are different than no disqualifications matches because there are still rules.
6. Retirement Match: In this match the loser of the bout agrees to retire from the sport of wrestling. Sometimes, permanently. Although some wrestlers who have lost and retired have returned.
7. Ladder Matches:
A championship belt is lifted high above the ring just out of the reach of the wrestlers. Although, the wrestlers can hit each other with the ladder, the goal is to use the ladder to reach the title belt.
8. Battle Royal:
Twenty men wrestle in the ring. The object is to throw the wrestler over the top rope. The last wrestler in the ring is the winner of the contest.
9. Hardcore Matches:
These matches tend to have no rules and emphasize the use of weaponry. Some of the most common weapons used are: steel chairs, time keeper bells, ladders and tables.
10. Tag Team Matches:
A tag team match is a two on two wrestling contest. When one wrestler gets tired, he tags his partner who enters the ring to take his place.
11. Casket Match: This match was inspired by The Undertaker. To win the match, you must place your opponent in an open casket, located outside the ring and nail it shut.
12. Buried Alive Match:
The Undertaker also inspired the buried alive match. The wrestler must throw his opponent into a dug out grave and then he must cover him with the dirt to win the match.
13. Scaffold Match:
A scaffold match is a match that is fought twenty feet above the ring on a scaffold. In order to win, the wrestlers must throw the other down to the floor.
14. Barbed Wire Matches:
The ring ropes are laced with barbed wire in this wrestling match. Also any weapons used including bats are wrapped in barbed wire as well. It is important to keep your back off the ropes.
15. No Disqualification Match:
You might as well call this a no holds bar match. No matter what happens, you can't lose by disqualification. Weapons are commonly used in these contests in order to get the victory.
16. Boxing Match:
Usually a boxing match take place between a wrestler and a professional boxer. Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield once boxed hard core champion, Jeff Hardy.
17. Falls count anywhere:
The wrestlers can be pinned inside or outside the ring. These matches have been know to take place in parking lots of wrestling events as well as in the audience and in the locker rooms.
18. Lumberjack Match:
This is a one-on-one wrestling match except the ring is surrounded on all sides by other wrestlers. They are called lumberjacks and they will toss you back into the ring if you jump out or fall out.
19. Arm Wrestling Match:
This is a standard arm wrestling match pitting two professional wrestlers to see who has the strongest arms. More often than not one of the wrestlers ends up cheating.
20. Parking Lot Brawl:
These matches take place in a parking lot of automobiles. Anything can be used as a weapon including parked cars and garbage cans.
* Please feel free to list any matches that I may have missed in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this page.
Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy
Wrestling Hardcore Matches
No Holds Barred
Barbed Wire Matches
First Blood Match
No Disqualification Match
No Count Out Match
Last Man Standing Match
Parking Lot Match
Scaffold Match: Road Warriors vs. Midnight Express
Wrestling Match Rankings
- Best Matches in Wrestlemania History
This article documents the top wrestling matches in the history of the WWF and WWE. Bouts including Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are listed in this hub.
- Best Wrestlers in WWE History
This article is about the top WRESTLERS in the history of the WWE and the WWF. Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Andre the Giant and Stone Cold Steve Austin are all listed here. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are in this blog. Hulk Hogan s
- Best Wrestlers in WCW History
This wrestling hub features the top WCW wrestlers of all time. Goldberg, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Sting, Scott Steiner and Hollywood Hogan are listed in this article along with other facts and information about this King's of the ring. Hulk Hogan was
- Best Wrestling Tag Teams of All Time
This article focuses on the top tag team wrestlers in history. The Road Warriors, The Rock and Roll Express, The Midnight Rockers and the Hart Foundation are listed in this hub along with pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary. The Roa
- Best ECW Wrestlers of All Time
Terry Funk, Bam Bam Bigelow, Shane Douglas and Mick Foley were some of the most successful wrestlers in the history of the ECW. Pictures, videos, polls and commentary are featured in this article.
- Best Managers in Wrestling History
This wrestling hub features the top managers of all time. Bobby"The Brain" Heenan, Jimmy Hart and Paul Bearer are listed in this article along with other facts and information about these men behind the wrestlers. You tube videos, pictures, maps, pol
Steel Cage Match: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant
© 2013 Buster Johnson