Cross Florida Greenway: The Land Bridge Trail
What is the Cross Florida Greenway?
The Cross Florida Greenway is also known as the Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway. Stretching from the Gulf of Mexico to Saint John's River, it was formerly known as the Cross Florida Barge Canal. This land is approximately one hundred and ten miles long.
The Land Bridge
The Land Bridge Info
The Land Bridge is America's first land bridge. It is located in Ocala, Florida. It gives access to allow equestrians, hikers, cyclists, and wildlife to cross I-75 safely. The land bridge was a 3.1 million dollar project and was completed in the year 2000. The Land Bridge is 52.5 feet wide and 200 feet long.
Do you plan on visiting The Land Bridge Trail?
Are Pets Allowed?
Yes. Pets are allowed. Well-behaved cats and dogs are allowed on the Florida greenway as long as they are on a six foot hand held leash. Owners must pick up after their pets.
Land Bridge Trail Map
Activities and Amenities
The Land Bridge Trail offers the following activities and amenities:
- Hiking and Nature Trail-is a 1.75 mile long loop.
- Bicycling and Mountain Biking- 2.5 miles of unpaved, mountain bike trails.
- Horse and Equestrian-Some of the trails are available for horseback riding. Horse trailer parking and a horse wash station is located at the trailhead, along with a paddock.
- Parking-paved areas for hiking and biking access.
- Picnicking-picnic tables to meet your needs.
- Restrooms-restrooms and potable water is available at the trailhead.
The GPS coordinates for the Land Bridge Trailhead are: N 29.0598 and W -82.1549
What To Bring?
The following are some suggestions that I would recommend bringing if you are going walking or hiking:
- Insect Repellant
- Light Clothing
- Good walking shoes
The State of Florida requires proof of current negative Coggins test for horses. State of Florida law also says that riders under the age of sixteen must ride with a helmet.
Land Bridge Trail
I recommend the Land Bridge Trail to everyone. It is a great family activity. We recently just visit and did some hiking for Fathers Day 2014. My husband had an awesome time and so did my children!