X-Games at a Glance
Where are They Located?
view quiz statistics
Events of the X-Games
ESPN started the X-Games and they are held twice a year. One is the summer X-Games and once is the winter X-Games. The X-Games are unique because, it documents sports that are usually considered extreme sports.
The following is a list of X-Games that are played in the summer.
After watching these games played one summer, I was hooked and I was an instant fan. These athletes give so much of themselves preparing for his event and it is just astonishing.
For the Summer:
1. Motorcross: In the motocross event, there are awards given, for the following categories. Best trick, best freestyle and of course, the award for speed on the ramps. This was the first X-Game sport that was used as an event to compete in. The higher the jump and the more unique the jump is, will earn the rider top points.
2. BMX Biking: The bicycle tournament has awards for: best trick, best air time and best freestyles in the street. Even without a motor, these bike riders can really get elevated. Many wrecks have occurred during stunts. It may look easy but, it takes hours and hours to practice these moves. Timing has to be perfect or a stunt can go bad. Most BMX bikers can usually name multiple injuries that they have had over the course of their career. Several severe, career ending wrecks have occurred. It is sad. The bikers spend so much money, time and planning only to lose it to an injury. Proper gear is required before even attempting these stunts such as a helmet, knee and elbow pads and maybe even a shield for the mask.
3. Skateboarding: In the skateboarding tournament, you get to see the best of the best including Tony Hawk, VIP, for the coveted X-Game awards. Hang time, tricks, speed and skateboarding in the street are all a part of this tournament. It has not been too many years that skateboarding to be considered an extreme sport. Skateboarding is really an individual sport. It has become very popular over the past few years. Tricks have become more and more creative to gain those extra points for originality. That might make some skateboarders try tricks that maybe they are not quite comfortable doing (in that, meaning that they have not been practicing a particular move or jump) but, would risk it just because of the points that they would gain.
4. Rallycross: The rallycross is a small car race set in short distances. These little cars propel very fast off the starting block and continue their speed on a short track. Rallycross is a fairly new X-Game as well. This is a really amazing event to watch. The speed is quite amazing. Children really enjoy this particular race.
The following is a list of X-Games that are played in the winter.
1. Skiing: These games are judged based on the speed and style you present while on the slope as well as, your freestyle and tricks performed. Freestyle is my favorite because, it allows the person skiing the freedom to pick what they want to perform. It's a dangerous sport and it takes a lot of practice to compete at the top, top level. Some people who have skied in the past, have pushed themselves to the limit and they usually pay with a crash, it is just a matter of, what do you hit? how hard do you hit? do you have any broken bones?
Always have the proper equipment. A lot of people die each year from skiing accidents.
2. Snowmobile: This tournament is based less on speed and more on tricks and freestyle while on the snow. Always watch for stones and logs when riding on a snowmobile. The element of danger is always there but, it is fun watching that snow go flying out from behind and under the snowmobile.
3. Snowboarding: Points are awarded on this event based on air time, slope style and your method throughout the race. The same rules for skiing would apply here. Snowboarding is scored by points, by the tricks that you can do all while balanced on a board.
Other extreme events of The X-Games.
1. Surfing: This award is given to the surfer who catches the biggest wave, rides it the longest and does the best tricks. Surfers flip and twists in amazing ways while doing extreme water stunts.
2. Bungee Jumping: The way you win this is to run and jump as fast as you can off the edge. The person who jumps the farthest from the platform wins the contest. It is rather dangerous but, they do have safety harnesses. Bungee jumping is not something that I have tried personally, or am going to try but, there are some out there who bungee jump anywhere. My hat is off to them.
3. Wakeboarding: In wakeboarding, you are pulled very fast behind a motorboat and you are judged on your tricks, freestyle and your coach who is driving the motorboat. Life jackets are required when wake boarding to help in case of emergency.
4. Climbing: This competition is held inside. Sometimes it has one on one and sometimes it has tag-team climbing. To win this trophy, it all comes down to speed. Safety harnesses are attached to every climber to prevent accidents.
5. In-Line Speed Skating: This game is the red headed step-child of ice skating. Both men and women race from distances such as 200m and up to 84,000m. The speeds of these skaters is very fast indeed.
* Please let me know what your favorite X-Game sport is and the reason why by leaving your reasons in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this hub.
Location of The Summer X-Games
What Is The Best X-Game?
Which is Your Favorite X-Game?
Great X-Games Moments
X- Games Are a Thrill a Minute
The X- games features some amazing moments. Just watch some YouTube clips and see for yourself. Safety gear is a must when performing at the top level and practice is a must in order to prevent serious injury.
Mixed Martial Arts
© 2012 Buster Johnson