Top 5 Best Hockey Sticks
This is a comprehensive guide to the best five hockey sticks on the market today. The information will educate you on the various sticks on the market today and hopefully match you with the perfect hockey stick. Hockey Sticks come in all different ways shapes and forms, but it is important to remember with the advancement in stick technology there is not a significant performance difference between the top sticks on the market. All of them perform well, but some of them perform differently than others. The challenge is not finding the best hockey stick, but the best hockey stick for you.
Hockey sticks today come in mainly two varieties; ones created for power, and ones created for control. Among the sticks reviewed the Reebok 808 and one95 are built for powerful shots and might be better for defenseman. They are built for power through the use of a larger taper, a taper is the region towards the bottom of the stick near where the blade and shaft connect that is responsible for the energy transfer of the stick. A large taper provides for maximum energy unloading and a booming shot. A smaller taper is used in the Bauer X60, Reebok 10k, and the S19. The smaller taper provides a faster transfer of energy for quick shots and also provides a better feel for the puck than larger tapers.
In the reviews below I will supply you with information from the manufacturer, some unbiased reviewing, and some videos if you need more information. Towards the end of the article I will provide my opinion for which stick is best for durability, performance, shooting, dangling, and sniping. There is a lot of information in this article and by no means do you need to use it all. Take what you need and find the best stick for you.
The 10K offers a lightweight durable stick, built for maximum control and feel. The 10K was made for the dangler, while the 808 is built for the sniper. Explosive kick now combined with lethal control. The 10K features Sickick II Technology™ that combines the fast release of the original Sickick with a new matrix fiber construction. The newly added matrix construction increases shaft stability and reduces blade deformation for ultimate control and precision. Add the new Pure Fiber Technology™ and new Blade Control Technology to feel the explosive control.
I would compare the Reebok 10k to Bauer’s X60 when buying. Both offer superior control for stickhandling and enhanced feel for the puck. The Reebok 10K is one of the lightest sticks on the market, and if weight is an important factor for you than look no further than the 10K. The 10K is the best performing light stick on the market. However, lightweight is not necessarily that important. Some people prefer very light sticks, but most buyers should look for the best balanced stick.
Reebok’s 808 O-stick is unlike any other hockey stick on the market. The 808 features what Reebok refers to as power ports. Power ports are holes or arches in the lower portion of the shaft. These holes are meant to reduce air resistance, thus giving the player a faster stick speed and harder shot. The O-stick also has Pure Fiber Technology™ which are individual carbon fibers that run through the shaft straight down to the blade for maximum energy transfer. The stick also has a Griptonite proprietary grip coating which enhances control for better reaction speed. Reebok Griptonite is possibly the best grip feel of any stick on the market. The 808 also features top end carbon construction that minimizes weight and maximizes strength.
The Reebok 808 is a great stick and can be readily compared to Bauer’s One95. Both sticks offer a more powerful construction to maximize your shot. The 808 stick is unique and should seriously be considered by any player looking to maximize their shot power.
The new Vapor X:60 stick is designed with Intelli-Sense Shot Technology that senses shot type and adapts its flex profile to maximize loading and energy transfer on either wrist or slap shots. Add the Pure Shot Blade Profile for improved accuracy, Monocomp Technology for optimized balance and feel and Bauer's exclusive light weight TeXtreme carbon fiber construction and you have Bauer's smartest scoring machine to date.
Features provided by Bauer:
- Monocomp Technology - The overall balance and weight of the stick have been optimized by the removal of excess material at the joint. An industry leading single molding process delivers consistency and easier loading for improved shooting.
- Pure Shot Blade Profile - Expansion of the connection point of the blade and shaft reduces the torsional deflection of the blade resulting in maintained blade control and a more accurate shot.
- Intelli-Sense Shot Technology - Through advanced engineering the flex profile of the shaft can now sense the type of shot based on the positioning of the player's hands. This results in maximized loading for optimal performance on wrist or slap shots.
- Micro Feel II Shaft Dimensions - Rounded corners and double concave shaft walls allow the shaft to fit comfortable in your hands resulting in easier puck handling and superior control
- Vapor Premium Dual Taper - The combination of the Micro Feel II shaft and a secondary taper along the top/bottom surface equals decreased torsional deflection for increase puck control and accuracy upon release.
The Bauer X60 is made for crafty players who need a little extra touch in their game. The x60 is one of the best balanced sticks available and offers a quick release. The X60 allows for maximum feel for danglers and unique flex points for snipers. The x60 is one of the best all around sticks on the market and is surprisingly durable.
Engineered and refined to deliver explosive one-timers and scorching slap shots, the Supreme One95 stick is built for the strong and powerful. Designed to withstand maximum loading, it delivers pure power in each and every shot. With its low-mid flex and a torsionally stiff lower third, the overall design creates more energy transfer per shot, resulting in greater velocity.
Features provided by Bauer
- Monocomp Technology - The overall balance and weight of the stick have been optimized by the removal of excess material at the joint. An industry-leading single molding process delivers improved consistency and better balance for improved shooting.
- Blade profile - The squared-off profile of the Supreme One95 provides improved blade-to-puck-to-ice contact, resulting in superior shot velocity. The blade is finished with a matte black paint to avoid any distracting reflections.
- Power Taper - The .520" power taper boots torsional stiffness to maximize loading with less torquing and twisting for better control and precision.
- Low Mid Kick Point - Torsional stiffness in the lower third generates more stored energy, creating increased power in every shot - whether it's a booming slap shot from the point or a blistering one-timer from the slot.
- Tactile Evolution - The tactile texture technology has been evolved to focus solely on critical areas creating better precision and a more secure grip - not to mention a 10 gram reduction in weight.
- Shaft Dimensions - The One95 also features double concave shaft walls with squared corner radius for a heightened sense of feel for the stick.
I would wait before buying a One95 because they are likely to go on sale later this fall, after the release of Bauer’s TotalOne stick. The One95 is built for players who need a strong stick to deliver strong shots. The One95 is built for players with a booming shot looking for a durable stick to maximize their shot speed. The bottom line is the one95 is built for power.
If you have $240 to spend on a hockey stick look no further than the S19. With its steep price tag, the S19 delivers arguably the best performance of any stick on the market. Its elliptical taper creates a fast whippy release. S19 will improve any players shot and release. The sticks also offers control and feel that rivals most sticks on the market. The S19 is very light and can perform for danglers, snipers, or even big shooters. One of the most complete sticks on the market. If $240 is out of your price range very similar performance can be experienced with the X60 and 10k, however, if you do have $240 and are an elite player, the S19 is worth the money.
Features provided by Easton:
- Lightning power and great feel come from Easton's Kevlar® wrapped Compression Molded shaft. Thinner layers of material allow Easton to use twice as many, giving the shafts an unmatched responsiveness and allowing them to stay lively longer.
- Quick release shots come from our TORX™ Elliptical Technology shaped to store and release torque and flex simultaneously allowing shots to get off faster.
- Release the puck faster with Easton's Micro-Bladder™ Multi Rib™ blade engineered to control torque and flex when shooting, providing great feel and pinpoint accuracy. Carbon wrapped high density core lets you feel the puck so you can look at the target, not your blade.
- Tuned taper section built with Elite Stiffness Profile to pro specs
- Improved blade feel with newly engineered materials
- Upper core – structural
- Lower core – solid core for improved feel
Durability: All of these sticks are fairly durable, but in my experience the X60 has been the most durable.
Performance: The S19 offers the best all around performance of any of these sticks. It’s good for just about everything, especially shooting.
Shooting: If you want a stick that can handle your howitzer than look no further than the One95. Built with defenseman and heavy shooters in mind. The 808 is not a bad alternative.
Dangling: For the ultimate dangling stick you have to get the 10K, built for danglers like Pavel Datsyuk.
Sniper: A sniper needs a quick release and many different shots in his arsenal, the X60 provides a quick release and multi flex points to give the snipers what they need.
- Bauer - Player Home
Bauer innovative hockey skates and gear.
- Reebok Hockey
Reebok is an innovative and high performance brand that is a global leader in the sporting goods industry, offering a broad portfolio of products available in virtually every country of the world. Reebok Hockey is the official outfitter of the Nation
- Easton Hockey
Manufacturer of skates, gloves, sticks, protective equipment, pants, bags, accessories and apparel.