Best Boxing Video Games of All Time
Classic Boxing Games
Fight Night Champion
Top 10 Prizefighting Video Games
There are over 100 boxing video games that have been produced but the following Ten stand out for one reason or another. Boxing games have evolved greatly over the last thirty years.
1. Fight Night Champion (2011) This is easily the best of the series because unlike the others you do not have to choose just career mode. Now they have story mode which is rated M for mature and your boxer starts out in jail fighting. Graphics, sound and game play are exceptional. Over 50 real life boxers are in this top notch boxing video game. The game is pretty realistic in the hardest game setting and you have to play seriously and follow your corner instructions in order to prevail.
2. Prizefighter (1993) This boxing video game came out on the Sega CD and was the first full motion sports game. You boxed in first person point of view with real live fighters bombing away at you. As you advance it takes you behind the match, to the locker rooms and so forth. The game is in black and white but it is realistic without a doubt. It is a rated M game and the behind the fights cut scenes are ahead of their time in the video game world.
3. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (1987) This game was on the Nintendo (NES) and your character was a small guy named Mac. You boxed an odd cast of characters to get to Iron Mike including the fruity Don Flamengo and the fat guy they called King Hippo. The game was a side to side game where you leap upwards to throw punches. Mario from the Super Mario Brothers games is actually the referee.
4. Greatest Heavyweights (1994) This Sega Genesis video game featyures 8 legendary heavyweights including Evander Holyfield, Larry Holmes, Ali, Dempsey and Rocky Marciano. In career mode you must battle through thirty contenders in order to challenge for the World title. The taunts and moves in this game are fairly accurate of the boxers they should belong to which is a nice improvement for the time.
5. Don King Presents: Prizefighter (2008) Prizefighter came out exclusively for the Xbox 360. The graphics and sound in this game are average but the game play is above average. Also, this video game features real life boxers from the Don King stable including: Sam Peter, Andrew Golota, Joe Calzaghe and Chris John. A true fan of boxing would enjoy this one. I have the PS3 and only bought the 360 based on the fact that the only way to get this game was on that system.
6. Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing (1992) This 1 or 2 player boxing game was released exclusively for the Sega Genesis. You play the game in 2D side view screens and there are 29 total boxers. You can win bouts by decision, knockout or eye injury T.K.O. Your forced to retire after 40 matches whether you win or lose. Holyfield is one of my favorites so I loved this game and bought it when it was released in the early 90s.
7. TKO Super Championship Boxing (1992) This game was released solely for the Super Nintendo and it has 13 boxers in the competition. It features career, tournament and exhibition modes of play. The game has 13 playable boxers in the competition and fights can end by knockout, TKO or Super K.O. It is lacking in realism and it does not have enough foes but on the other hand when it comes to fun this game is the NBA Jam of boxing video games.
8. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (1999) This one or two player 3D Boxing game was produced for the Sega Dreamcast, Playstation and the Nintendo 64. This game has fancy boxing moves but the boxing characters are just as funny as the ones in Punch Out. The Russian Bear and the guy with the Afro stand out to me.
9. Ring King (1985) This one or two player game was produced for Arcades everywhere as well as for the Nintendo (NES). When an opponent was hurt you can explode on them with a deadly special attack featuring wild punches in bunches. The game allowed you to completely circle the ring which was somewhat revolutionary for home consoles at that time and era.
10. Rocky (2002) This game follows Rocky's career from Rocky 1 all the way through Rocky 4. Also, you train by running through Philadelphia and pounding raw meat at the packing plant, Just like in the actual films. The game has loads of cut scenes cut directly from the movies themselves. The sounds, cut scenes and graphics are fine but the boxer does not move very fluid around the squared circle.
Fight Night Champion on Amazon
Prizefighter (Sega CD)
Which is The Best?
Which is your favorite boxing video game?
Prizefighter on Sega CD
10 Great War Video Games
Modern Warfare 2
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
Syphon Filter 3
Sniper Elite 2
view quiz statistics
Video Game Hubs
- Sega Saturn's Top Games of All Time
This article is about the top games for the SEGA Saturn game Console. Area 51, Virua Fighter, Virtua Racing and Daytona USA are documented in this classic video game hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary highlight this ga
- Best Intellivision Video Games of All Time
The Intellivision video game console came out in 1977 and it has hosted plenty of great games. Q Bert, Auto Racing, Frogger, Dig Dug and Demon Attack are featured in this article. Also, pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are listed
- Prison Break: Conspiracy Theory (Video Game)
This describes the video game called Conspiracy Theory which is based on the television show called Prison Break. This review is based on the Playstation 3 version of the game. Pictures, you tube clips, maps, polls and commentary highlight this inten
- Best Role Playing Video Games of All Time
This Article documents the top role playing video games ever made. The Legend of Zelda, Dungeons and Dragons and Wizards and Warriors are featured in this video game hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed here as well.
- Video Games and Boxing: A Look Back
This article is about boxing video games through the years including Fight Night Champion, Ring Kings, Greatest Heavyweights and Mike Tyson's Punch Out are documented in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in th
- Best Racing Video Games Of All Time
This article documents the top racing video games ever made. Pole Position, Daytona U.S.A., Rad Racer and NASCAR racing are featured in this hub. You tube videos, polls, maps, pictures, a quiz and commentary are also listed in this gaming blog.
Don King's Prizefighter Game Trailer
© 2013 Buster Johnson