Top Matchups For Week 14 College Football 2011
13 Games To Look Out For This Weekend
1) (SEC Championship Game - Atlanta, GA) - LSU (12-0) vs Georgia (10-2) - The Tigers have roared through the regular season by winning all of there games by double digits except for a 9-6 overtime win over Alabama on November 5. Last week they were down to Arkansas 14-0 in the second quarter but scored 21 unanswered points to grab the halftime lead before pulling away in the second half and winning 41-17 holding a potent Arkansas passing attack to just 208 yards passing. Now they will face a red hot Georgia team that is on a 10 game winning streak after dropping its first two games of the season to Boise State and South Carolina. This will be the third meeting between these two teams in the SEC Title Game. LSU beat Georgia in the 2003 SEC Title game 34-13 on its way to a bcs title game win against Oklahoma but the Bulldogs returned the favor in 2005 as they beat LSU in the SEC Title game 34-14.
2) Oklahoma (9-2) at Oklahoma State (10-1) - This game will be for the Big 12 title as for the Big 12 doesn't have a championship game anymore since the departure of Nebraska to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac 12. Two weeks ago both teams had there bcs title game dreams dashed away as Oklahoma State fell to Iowa State on the road in overtime 37-31 and Oklahoma lost to Baylor for the first time in school history 45-38 on the road in Waco. If Oklahoma State wins they will have a case as well to get into the bcs title game with only one loss. But they must Oklahoma starting on Saturday something they haven't done in the last eight meetings. This rivalry is the most lopsided rivalry between two in state schools in college football with Oklahoma leading the series 82-16-7!
3) (Big Ten Championship Game - Indianapolis, IN) - Michigan State (10-2) vs Wisconsin (10-2) - Wisconsin man handled Penn State last week to win the Big Ten Leaders division and the right to play in the first ever Big Ten title game. Michigan State on the other hand wrapped up the Big Ten Legends division two week ago with a win over Indiana and a Nebraska lost and are also coming off a 31-17 victory over Northwestern. This will be the second time this season these two teams square off. Michigan State won the first meeting in October 37-31 on a hail mary pass as time expired.
4) (ACC Championship Game - Charlotte, NC) - Virginia Tech (11-1) vs Clemson (9-3) - Like the Big Ten title game this game is a rematch between teams that met in the regular season as Clemson won the first meeting in Blacksburg in October 23-3 giving the Hokies there only loss of the regular season. Clemson has lost three of it last four games including a 34-13 lost to in state rival South Carolina last week. The Hokies on the other hand are coming off a 38-0 victory over there in state rival Virgina in Charlottesville. The win gave Virginia Tech the ACC Coastal division title. Virginia Tech will be going for the 5th ACC title since joining the ACC in 2004 which they won there first year joining.
5) (Friday) (Pac 12 Championship Game) - UCLA (6-6) at Oregon (10-2) - The Bruins got to the Pac 12 title game by default since USC, who really won the Pac 12 South title cannot go to the Pac 12 title game due to probation for something that the current players didn't have anything to do with. UCLA is coming off a 50-0 loss to USC last week and now must face Oregon in Eugene where the Ducks will be going for there third straight conference title. Oregon beat in state rival Oregon State last week to claim the Pac 12 North title by a score of 49-21.
6) Texas (7-4) at Baylor (8-3) - After a 59-24 loss to Oklahoma State in October, Baylor has reel off 4 straight victories including a upset of Oklahoma two weeks ago and a 66-42 win over Texas Tech where they played mostly without heisman hopeful quarterback Robert Griffin III who suffered a concussion in the first half and did not return. Texas on the other hand had loss two games in a row before beating arch rival Texas A&M on Thanksgiving 27-25 on a last second field goal as time expired.
7) (CUSA Championship Game) - Southern Miss (10-2) at Houston (12-0) - Houston comes into the game undefeated and will need a victory to get to a bcs bowl. Southern Miss have been pretty good itself as well with non conference victories over Louisiana Tech which won the WAC title, Virgina and Navy.
Here are 6 other matchups to look for this weekend.
8) Iowa State (6-5) at Kansas State (9-2)
9) (Thursday) South Florida (5-6) at West Virginia (8-3)
10) Connecticut (5-6) at Cincinnati (8-3)
11) (Friday) (MAC Championship Game - Detroit, MI) - Northern Illinois (9-3) vs Ohio (9-3)
12) BYU (8-3) at Hawaii (6-6)
13) Syracuse (5-6) at Pittsburgh (5-6)