USA Tuesday Night Fights (1982-1998)
Have You Seen It?
Have you ever watched Tuesday Night Fights on USA network before?
Tuesday Night Fights Top Moments
1. Andrew Golota T.K.O. 5 Samson Po' uha (1995) Golota and Pouha traded shots with Golota getting the better of it. In the third round Golota actually bit Samson on the neck and it drew blood. Golota ended up pounding Pouha into submission in the 5th. Golota also landed two head buts and an elbow during this dirty bout. Andrew Golota went on to bigger and better paydays while Po'uha's career went downhill.
2. Jorge Paez W15 Calvin Grove (1988) Paez and Grove engaged in the last ever 15 round championship bout. It was close throughout until Paez opened up and floored Grove three times in the final round of the match. Paez won the IBF Featherweight title in this bout. What a brilliant comeback by aez in one of his finest moments in his pugilistic career.
3. Vinnie Pazienza T.K.O. 12 Gilbert Dele (1991) The Pazmanian Devil won the Jr. Middleweight championship with relentless aggression and body work. The early rounds were slow and close but Paz never let up and even tournedos it up a notch down the stretch.
4. Fights on Marine Aircraft Carrier (1993) The network has done shows from Casino Barges but doing a show inside of an aircraft Carrier with the ring in the center and a small intimate audience at ringside.
5. Roberto Duran T.K.O. 8 Tony Menefee (1993) Hands of Stone was far past his prime but it was still a big night because it was the legends 100th bout Nd he did not disappoint. Even though Menefee was a novice boxer it was still nice to see Duran ripping body shots and uppercuts to end the fight.
6. Rock Newman Starts Fight (1992) Rock Newman (Riddick Bowe's manager) and Mark Robert (Ray Mercer's Manager) were being interviewed by both Sean and Al when they started exchanging words. Rock Newman carried the loud talking but when Roberts got in his face Newman pushed him and security had to restrain them.
7. The Return of George Foreman (1987) Big George retired in 1977 after losing to Jimmy Young. Ten years later he surprised the boxing world by returning to the squared circle.
8. The Return of Larry Holmes (1991) The return of The Easton Assassin was just as shocking as that of George Foreman because three years earlier Holmes was last seen on the canvas after being knocked out by Mike Tyson.
9. Riddick Bowe Wins by DQ in One Round (1991) Big Daddy Bowe was boxing well against Elijah Tillery but when the bell ended round one Tillery kicked Bowe twice. Bowe chased Tillery to the ropes and threw a long right hand. Rock Newman who manages Bowe climbed the ring apron and pulled Tillery over the ropes like it was a wrestling match.
10. Kostya Tszyu W10 Hector Lopez (1994) Tszyu won easily landed razor sharp punches and short hooks at will but to see the up and coming boxer on the air was awesome. Lopez was competitive but not enough to win more than one or two rounds at the most.
* Leave comments in the capsule at the bottom of this article. Let me know what your favorite fight or knockout was on Tuesday Night Fights.
Top Boxers That Fought on Tuesday Night Fights
Roy Jones, Jr.
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Oscar De La Hoya
Sean O' Grady
USA Tuesday Night Fights Knockout DVDs
O' Grady and Al
Sean O' Grady is a former lightweight world champion and a good commentator to boot. His sidekick Al Albert delivered good commentary and he was often comical with the audience.
To be honest Sean O' Grady who should be respected as a former champion, was silly at times and sometimes said some incorrect things on air. But either way the duo of him and Al Albert was still an excellent team that fit the show. Both guys were extra friendly and easy to like.
view quiz statistics
The Ring Remembers......
The Ring Remembers segment of the boxing program was an occasional segment remembering an important part of boxing history. They have showed clips of classic bouts including greats such as: Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano and George Foreman. And it aired more recent prizefighters such as Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard and several others. Personally, I really loved watching these flashbacks to the past.
On a rare occurrence Tuesday Night Fights would host the replay of a previous PPV card. Two of the replays were the fights between Roberto Duran and Vinnie Pazienza.
Sometimes boxers from the audience would stop by for a ringside interview or the series would do interviews via satellite.
Rock Newman Goes Nuts!
Rock Newman made headlines during the early and mid 90's almost every time you seen him. He got into a pushing and shouting match with Mark Roberts, he pulled boxer Elijah Tillery over the top rope to the floor during a boxing match and he was very vocal and outspoken on many other occasions. He definitely was not the only person to cause a ruckus during the shows run but he was definitely the most infamous.
Rock Newman wanted to be bigger than the boxer he represented just like Only in America Don King.
- Boxing Tribute: Three Legends Lost
This blog documents three very important and beloved members of the fight game who passed away recently. Emmanuel Steward, Bert Sugar and Angelo Dundee are featured in this hub along with pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary.
- Boxing's Most Outrageous Characters
This article documents some of boxing's wildest characters including Don King, Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed and Hector Camacho. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are also featured in this hub along with other facts and information on t
- Best 3rd Round Knockouts in Boxing History
This prizefighting hub describes some of the top 3rd round knockouts in the history of boxing. Evander Holyfield knocking out Buster Douglas for the heavyweight crown and Marvin Hagler creaming Tommy Hearns in under nine minutes are listed in this ar
- Pictorial History of Boxing's Cruiserweight Division
This hub describes the best Cruiserweight boxers ever using pictures to do so. Videos, maps, polls and commentary are also listed in this boxing blog. Evander Holyfield and James Toney are here.
- Prizefighter Tribute: Mike Tyson
This hub describes Mike Tyson's life in and out of the ring. I hope that you learn something that you may not have known about Tyson. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are also listed in this article.
Clips of Tuesday Night Fights Knockouts
© 2014 Buster Johnson