Why I love my Berghaus Gore-tex Jackets
I am a huge fan of the Berghaus brand. I have three Berghaus jackets ( see the pictures below). The first one is over 20 years old, the second is a teenager, and the third one is a baby at just two. I live in the Lake District National park in England, and I love the outdoors. I go for a hike almost every day, whatever the weather.
The Lake District has a high rainfall ( no rain no lakes we say when we feel like moaning about the rain). For those of you in the USA, think Seattle and you get the picture. I need a jacket that will keep me dry, and to me that means that I need a jacket made of Gore-Tex, a high tech material that repels the rain whilst keeping you ventilated and dry inside. All my Berghaus jackets are made using Goretex.
Why do I love my Berghaus jackets?
- Berghaus jackets use top quality materials like Gore-Tex to keep you dry and comfortable.
- Berghaus jackets come in a good range of sizes for the perfect fit..
- I love the high zip up neck feature that keeps me cosy in windy or wet weather.
- I love the hood with a little peak, that rolls up zips away in the collar when I don't need it.
- You can unzip the hood completely if you are sure you won't need it.
- There are three zipped pockets- one on each side for keeping bits and pieces in , ( and for keeping your hands warm) and an inside pocket which is perfect for keeping maps, cash and credit cards dry and safe.
- The sleeves are long and wide enough to cover your hands in cold or wet weather, but they have a velcro fastening if you want to tighten them up over your gloves.
- There are cords on the neck and hem for flexible adjustment.
- Berghaus jackets come in a range of colors. Mine are blue, red and pink.
- My Berghaus jacket looks smart enough to wear down the high street as well as out hiking.
- Berghaus jackets last for years. I still wear all three of mine, though the oldest has been designated "for gardening" now. This is a bit of a problem, as you might want to buy a new Berghaus jacket just for a change, but your old one will still be perfectly fine!
- Berghaus is a German word that means "mountain center", but the company originated in Newscastle in NE England, not far from my home. They deserve their worldwide success as they have produced an excellent range of outdoor equipment at very reasonable prices.
I have selected the Berghaus Bowfell Women's jacket to feature here. Bowfell is a mountain in the Langdale Fells area in England's Lake District. It is 5 miles from my home as the crow flies, and it is one of my favorite hikes. The Berghaus Bowfell jacket comes in a range of sizes , with a choice of pink, green or blue.
There are many other styles of Berghaus jackets for men and women. My husband is a big fan of the men's jackets, and we also have Berghaus fleeces and back packs.
I have no hesitation at all in recommending Berghaus as a brand, and I can personally confirm that the Berghaus hiking jackets are outstanding.
Buy the best equipment you can afford for comfortable hiking.
Hiking and trekking is so good for you. Hiking keeps you active and mobile. You can do short hikes, long treks, uphill, on the flat, by yourself or with friends. Hiking will help keep you trim. Hiking is also good for the mind. Getting outdoors in the fresh air is a big step towards good mental health.
Here I'm showing you a few items that I believe should be top of your list for basic but good quality hiking equipment. If you are comfortable in your body then you will enjoy yourself so much more than if you are wearing ill fitting poor quality gear.
Make this this year that you get hiking, even if it's just down to the store or around the local park.
You need a good jacket if you are going out in all weathers, and I've covered that.
I would suggest that the following should be on your list.
- Proper hiking socks
- Boots or shoes that are designed for hiking ( mine are Meindl boots)
- Good gloves for colder weather
- A comfortable backpack
- A trekking pole- mine is a LEKI
I favor Thorlo socks. I have worn socks like this for many years. Available in different weights and lengths, for men and women, to suit your needs. These are top quality hiking socks.
Hiking poles are important to me
I use a LEKI pole which I've had for years.
I never go for a hike without my LEKI pole.For stability, posture, reduction of strain on the knees and all round confidence and comfort, you can't beat a LEKI trekking pole.
Which boots to buy?
Well fitting boots really are the most importatnt thing. I'm a big fan of Meindl boots. I have two pairs, one is trainer style, and one is high sided. Here is my favorite Meindl boot.
These are the boots I have at the moment. I always pick Meindl boots as they suit my feet,.A prpoper pair of hiking boots and soes will give you much better support than that pair of old trainers you've been wearing.
Here I've added videos to show you the features of Berghaus jackets.
I've also shown some other Berghuas products which I use- the fleece and the backpack.
Finally I've shown you some pictures of Bowfell ( "fell" is the local word for a mountain), the mountain that the jacket is named after, and I've included a walk around my home area, at Rydal Water.
This is very similar to the Bowfell. Take a look at the great features.
Here is a video made by Gaynor Sports, a shop just down the road from me in Ambleside. The features of this Berghaus jacket will help you understand the brand.
Berghaus also make great back packs ( or rucksacks as we call them in the UK) This is the one my husband has.
This is Bowfell, the mountain that gave it's name to the jacket.
I've included this walk , as this is where I live, at the end of Rydal Water.