Improve your childs Netball skills
Techniques that teach your child to play netball
So your child wants to play netball? Netball is a great sport for your child to play.
Being active and working together as a group will teach them the skills they will need now and later in life.
Netball is fun and it is satisfying to see your child engaging in a friendly sport. Using balance, co-ordination, team work, agility, fitness and timing. Kids will learn to love this sport.
Getting your child to play netball and learn new techniques, will help them improve their game play.
For techniques to teach your child netball drills and skills click here.
Learn how to play Netball - Why should your child play Netball?
Netball is a great sport to play as it is fun. It is a non-contact sport so is suitable for all ages.
With 7 players from each team on the court it encourages team work to get the ball to the goal area to shoot a goal.
Netball is a worldwide sport and is very popular in many countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, and the Pacific Islands.
Many young girls strive to be at their best and so they should. I encourage anyone at any age to do their best!
The Basic rules of Netball
Here are the basic rules of netball.
- Only 2 teams of 7 players on the court allowed
- The court is broken up into thirds *see figure 1*
- Positions: Goal Attack (GA), Goal Shoot (GS), Goalkeeper (GK), Goal Defense (GD), Center (C), Wing Attack (WA), and Wind Defense (WD).
- Only the GA, GS, GK and GD are allowed in the half circle.
- Each teams Center takes turns starting with the ball in the center ring at the start of each round.
- One point per goal shot.
- Center is the only player in all thirds of the court except for the half circles.
- The wings are only allowed in two thirds of the court.
- GS & GK are only allowed in one third of the court.
- The game starts when every player is in position and center is in the center ring.
- Netball is a non-contact sport and players cannot dribble the ball more than once.
- Each game lasts 40 minutes, 10 minutes each quarter.
- You can find out more information about the rules of Netball by visiting Rules of Netball.
Netball court and player positions.
My all time favourite place to go, to help kids improve netball skills
How to Play Netball, great if you are new to netball and want to learn about netball!
How you can help
Help your child improve their skills
Practice with your child at least once a week. Even throwing the ball around will improve their ball handling skills.
If you have a netball or basketball hoop, use it to practice goal shooting.
When at the courts, practice running from line to line. Touching the line each time. Take a whistle with you so you can toot every time your child touches the line.
Practice, stopping suddenly. Get your child to run around the court, when you blow the whistle your child has to have stopped. Turn on one foot and run the other direction.
For more great help in drills and improvement visit Netball drills.
Find a Netball Club near you - If you want to have a go at netball check out where you can join
Get into the Netball club and give it a go. Try it, it's fun and it'll keep you fit and getting involved with your child's activities.
Come and Vote!
Do you play netball?
Would you like to teach your child how to improve their netball skills?
A neat video featuring, kids playing netball.
Looking for the perfect Netball shoe?
Selecting the right netball shoes is vital to your health. As you will be pivoting, running, jumping, dodging other players and you could be wearing them in all kinds of weather.
Picking the wrong type of shoe for your feet, could prove a disaster. As you could get blisters, roll an ankle or trip if the shoe is not the correct fit.