- Sports and Recreation»
- Hunting & Shooting»
- Guns & Accessories
Replacing A Spring To Increase FPS? Good or Bad?
If you are an Airsoft enthusiast, then you are aware that there are three kinds of airsoft guns: spring powered, electric powered and gas powered. So why would you chose a spring powered gun when the other two types are considered by many to be more powerful?
Although electric and gas powered guns seem more like "the real thing", they are not the best for long range shooting. So in order to select a gun, it depends on what your role is during the game. Do you want to get up close or do you want to be a silent killer?
Long Range vs Short Range
When it comes to long range shooting a spring powered “sniper rifle” is your best option. One of the advantages of a spring-powered rifle is that it probably has the best power and precision than any other airsoft gun, attaining firing speeds of around 500 feet per second or FPS.
If you are looking for short range shooting, then consider a different type of airsoft gun.
Spring air rifles work by pushing a spring into a locked position. The spring is released and pushes a piston forward, propelling a pellet out of the barrel with air pressure. The sudden compression of air generates intense heat, like a fire piston. Unfortunately after each time you fire the gun you have to cock the gun back into place. This can be annoying and frustrating for short term shooting and leave you vulnerable. But this disadvantage is meaningless for those who are looking for long range shooting.
Spring rifles and pistols have the reputation of not being as strong as the other types of airsoft guns, but one way to make them powerful is to replace the compression string.
The best types of springs are compression springs that have a higher spring rate. A spring rate is the change in load per unit deflection in pounds per inch (lb. /in.) or Newtons per millimeter (N/mm). The stronger the spring, the more force will be used to shoot the pellet out of the barrel, the more FPS, the further you can shoot.
If you are looking for a way to take down the enemy from a large distance, this is a good way of going about it. But there are a lot of things that you should consider before replacing the compression spring in your airsoft rifle.
What's Your Favorite Position To Play in Airsoft?
Things To Consider
- Where are you playing your game? Most indoor arenas only allow up to 450 FPS. Having a gun that shoots more than that might get you disqualified from the game. And you won't be able to play. Some outdoor arenas will allow you to have a rifle that shoots 500 FPS.
- Taking a part your gun might void the warranty or can cause you to accidentally break important parts. When this happens, you might be out of luck. So change the compression spring at your own risk.
- Tougher springs make it difficult for certain gun parts (like the slide on manual guns and the motor on automatic guns) to pull the spring back. You risk damaging these parts from the higher pressure. Compression springs can be made out of many different materials and weights. Make sure you are getting a light spring material that also will give you power.
- Just because you can achieve a higher FPS doesn’t mean you’re gun is going to be more accurate. You will still need to work on your aim!
The best way to increase the FPS of your airsoft gun is investing in high quality pellets and making sure your barrel is properly lubricated. Replacing the compression spring might help, but there are far too many risks that could potentially backfire (no pun intended). If you find that purchasing higher quality pellets and barrel lubrication isn't giving you the increase in FPS that you want, then it might be worth the risk to change the compression spring.
- Spring Manufacturers - Wire Forms | Lee Spring
Spring manufacturer Lee Spring produces wire forms manufactured to fit your exact specifications and carries a large inventory of precision-made springs.
- The Difference Between an Electric, Gas, and Spring Airsoft Gun | eBay
Airsoft is a popular military simulation sport that allows players to compete in a friendly and safe version of military combat. While these guns may look fierce, they are harmless when used with proper...
- Airsoft Warrior | All about airsoft guns, gear, and tactics