- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Spirit 120 Kayak by Future Beach - A Great Choice for a Beginner Kayak
Just over a year ago, my oldest son and I drove from Maryland to Florida to visit my youngest son and family. Typically, our visits consist of catching up with each other. watching movies, playing video games, and eating good food. We spend most of our energy during visits just being with each other. It is always such a special thing when we are together and the visits always seem too brief.
During this last visit, my sons took me on an adventure of a lifetime.
We went kayaking on a river in Florida. We spent the day paddling and watching the flora and fauna as we drifted past. This included a plethora of turtles and small alligators sunning on logs. Initially, I was petrified. I held my breath and grabbed the sides every time the kayak rocked. However, it didn't take long to loosen up a little bit and enjoy the trip.
When we started the kayaking adventure, they put me in a tandem kayak, so I wasn't alone. On the way back, I was brave enough to try the little solo kayak. I was amazed at how effective of a mode of transportation that little piece of plastic was.
As we exited the kayaks and left them at the rental hut I knew that someday I would own my own kayak. I had just expected some day to be a long time down the road.
How I came to own a kayak now
I had a bit of online writing cash that was earmarked for the purchase of electronics. But on a lazy Sunday, I was clipping coupons and checking the Sunday paper for good sales. I noted that a local sporting goods store was having an amazing sale on kayaks. I placed the ad to the side.
That sale nagged at me for a week. On the last day of the sale I drove over and purchased my own kayak. I didn't have much of a clue about what to look for. My only criteria was that I'd buy a sit-on-top as opposed to a sit-in. In the event I flip off of the kayak, I imagine that a sit-on will continue to float. There probably isn't much difference between the two styles and it is probably just a matter of personal preference.
I chose a 10' sit-on-top Future Beach kayak. And I have to say, I couldn't be happier with it.
Why I love my Future Beach Sit-On-Top
- I have the confidence that if I flip over, no matter what, a sit-on kayak will float.
- The handles (on each side and on the front and back) help me handle my kayak easily
- Waterproof cubbyhole in back - keeps my phone protected.
- Bungee cords on front - secures my fishing supplies, fishing pole, and etc.
- The cup holder between my legs prevents my frozen bottle of water from rolling around
- Graduated foot holds allow me to place my feet where they are most comfortable depending on what i'm doing
- The special shape of the hull makes me feel more secure than V-shaped hulls do. The very bottom of this kayak is shaped more like a "W" than a "V".
- I am able to paddle and turn my kayak easily. I feel as though it is responsive.
- It was inexpensive.
Here you can see how I haul my kayak on my softtop Jeep.
A great area for kayaking: Hammerman Beach, Maryland
The Spirit 120 by Future Beach is a Great Kayak for Beginners.
If you are looking for an inexpensive kayak that is great for beginners, I highly recommend the Future Beach brand. I also recommend the Spirit 120 sit-on. It is a great size, easy to handle both in the water and out, and is very affordable. If you have dreamed of kayaking but have let anxiety hold you back, I say you should give it a try. It is a wonderful activity for individuals or groups. I am thrilled that I purchased my kayak. I think you will enjoy yours too.