- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
sunglasses for surfing
Sunglasses for Surfing
Surfers spend long hours in the sun and absorb the reflections of the sun off the water. Regardless if you short board, long board, stand up paddle surfing or big wave surf your eyes will eventually pay the price. Damage to your eyes can be avoided by simply wearing sunglasses designed for surfing. Even if you're not concerned about your health, surfing sunglasses can be a lifesaver when surfing in the morning or evening glare of the sun. They also make a wonderful Christmas gift idea for a surfer. Below is some common medical conditions that affect surfers and these can be avoided by simply protecting your eyes while in the water.
The Health Benefits of Sunglasses for Surfing
- Eye Sunburn - This happens when your eye gets sunburned from UV rays and long term occurrence can lead to cataracts and pterygium.
- UV Radiation - Ultra Violet, is intense light that isn't visible but is damaging so you should protect your skin and eyes from it. For surfers, the concern is up to 80% of electromagnetic radiation can be reflected off the surface of the water.
- Cataracts - Cataracts is a clouding of the eye lens and disrupts vision. UV radiation is the concern for surfers and the surgery to fix the issue isn't cheap.
- Pterygium - Pterygium is a growth in the clear membrane that covers the white of the eye. This is also known as surfers eye. For surfers,the concern is the exposure to UV radiation and the wind.
- Macular Degeneration - Macular Degeneration damages the central part of the retina and is a progressive disease. Symptoms include spots of darkness near the center of your vision. The concern for surfers is they expose themselves for long periods of time to blue light.
- Physical Trauma - Don't laugh, it's true. Surfers are at risk for injury to the eye from surfboard fins, surfboard noses, reef and rocks, and body parts. Surf sunglasses can help protect your eye from these types of injuries.
Surf Eye - Is it true? Watch the video
Questions? Please leave a comment and I will update this article as necessary.
The materials contained on this website are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute professional advice on any subject matter. This website / author does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Some links within this website may lead to other websites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you, and the presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents. This website and its contents are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. This website / author is in no way affiliated nor endorsed by the above mentioned companies.