Under Armour Long Sleeve T-Shirt/Base Layer - An Honest Review
After hearing some great reviews, I recently bought a black Under Armour long sleeve base layer top, more out of curiosity than anything else. I want to share my genuine perspective of this UA product to help assist you in determining whether the same product would be a suitable purchase for yourself or not.
Why did I need a base layer top?
Here in the UK, when Autumn, Winter and Spring hits - so does the cold weather! Obviously cold weather isn't just a phenomenon for us Brits, (nearly) everywhere gets it. And this was my sole motivation behind purchasing a long sleeve base layer top.
I play a variety of outdoor sports including football, running and golf. In order to enjoy these activities all year around, I'd previously used plain fashion long sleeve t-shirt to go under my sporting attire. However, these weren't particularly warm or didn't particularly allow me the right level of flexibility with these sports. This is when I did some research and the Under Armour compression tops came out top! Here's why:
Why I opted for the Under Armour long sleeve compression top
- Style - Whilst I looked at other long sleeve compression tops, the Under Armour's seemed a very clean design - yet stylish at the same time. I feel that whilst the primary purpose of this top was for me to wear under my sports attire, I could easily get away with wearing it by itself.
- Movement - Having put on my Under Armour top for the first time, it felt particularly weird. Whilst it felt tight on my body, I was amazed at just how free my upper body felt, especially the arms! I've since used the top during golf, football and running and it's been a revelation to allow me to stay warm during these cold winter months! The inclusion of the UA 'smooth flat lock seams' ensures that chaffing doesn't occur - and I can definitely vouch for that!
- Feel - Everyone wants to feel good in what they're wearing. And I'm no different in this sense. I'll be honest, I don't have the perfect body. Far from it. However, when I put my long sleeve Under Armour top on, it gives me a certain level of confidence in that it sculpts my body, making it look much more defined. I've heard people wear these for the gym, for exactly the same reason.
- Temperature - The compression top is very well designed to help the body stay at an optimal temperature during strenuous activities. The tops come with a choice of ColdGear and HeatGear - both specifically designed to be worn under different climates. Again, these all help keep the body warm. However, whilst the ColdGear apparently offers greater warmth in colder temperatures, mine is a HeatGear and has kept me warm throughout freezing temperatures
- Sweat / Smell - Again, Under Armour have introduced further technology to their tops. To help keep the body cool and dry, there is a 'signature moisture transport system' incorporated into the top. From my experiences to date, I have felt the compression within the base layer has always ensured that I don't feel totally gross doing the most energetic of sports. In fact, I'm actually a serial sweater (cringe!) so I feel it's worked wonders for me so far in that respect to!
I can't actually fault the quality of the Under Armour top that I bought, for my needs it's great. However, everyone has different tastes and lifestyles so a short sleeve top might appeal more to others. Especially in warmer climates/seasons.
The make of the product is second to none, and I imagine this would transpire to the other items of clothes that Under Armour also apply their compression technology to. It's been a long time since I've been impressed with a product I've never tried before and I will, and have, bought from Under Armour against since - marking my seal of approval on such a useful item of clothing.
They also make a female version of this stylish blank long sleeve top! Whilst this refers to a medium, there are a variety of sizes to choose from!
Perhaps black isn't your thing? Well another popular choice is the white version, which I personally think looks just as good!
Under Armour also make this great top for kids, offering them the same warmth and flexibility benefits of the adult version!
Have you ever tried Under Armour gear?
Check out these cool Under Armour videos. For me, these light weight tops allow you to stay warm whilst having the freedom to perform such a range of activities. These videos give a great demonstration of just how well these tops genuinely do work! I've have recorded my own, but nobody needs to see that right!? ;)
Do you own any Under Armour goods? How do you find them? As good as I have, or have you had any bad experiences? Would love to hear others thoughts, whether good or bad!