Which Are The Best Three Wheel Recumbent Bicycles?
A Few Good Adult Three Wheel Recumbent Bicycles
Cycling is one of the best sports for you. It is (in my opinion) the ideal cardiovascular exercise, and it's a lot of fun to do. However, conventional cycling isn't for everyone. A three wheeled recumbent bicycle is great for adults seeking cycling freedom along with a more relaxing riding position.
Three wheel recumbent bikes are perfect for anyone worried about poor posture on a bike. They are comfortable, stable and every bit as much fun as a regular two-wheeled bike. They're great for your back and it's a mechanically superior position to pedal from.
Three wheel recumbent bicycles are also fantastic for a rider who has difficulties with the balance required for a two wheeler. Anyone with a disability or a balance disorder like vertigo will tell you that they miss out on stuff like this.
This lens is all about recumbent bicycles with three wheels for adults. I'll talk about the riding position and how they work as compared to a regular bike. I'll mention the price differences between the two, offer some pictures of recumbent bikes with 3 wheels in action, and of course offer a few links to great options and deals on the market today.
I hope you enjoy. If you have any questions or comments about anything in this lens, please leave a message at the end.
What Is A Three Wheeled Recumbent Bicycle?
Adult Recumbent Bikes / Trikes: An Explanation
A three wheeled recumbent bicycle is a bike that allows the rider to ride, pedal and steer while seated in a reclined position, with the feet forward. They are essentially tricycles, built to the specifications of an adult. The seat (and entire bicycle for that matter) is very low slung and sporty, leaving you quite close to the road.
All recumbent bicycles feature a riding position where you are reclined, with your feet in front of you. Usually you steer by using two handles, one on either side of your body. These handles usually have brake levers attached to them as well for easy stopping.
The brakes on a three wheeled adult bicycle are usually located alongside the wheels. Disc brakes are by far the most common because they work well with the architecture, but I have seek linear pull (otherwise known as 'V' brakes) before too.
Seats on 3 wheeled recumbent cycles are large and comfortable, more like a chair than a traditional bicycle saddle is. Long distance rides are very comfortable on these things, and they are extremely easy on the back. In particular, tall people will notice a great deal more comfort riding a recumbent cycle with three wheels than a conventional cycle.
There are typically two styles of these bikes. In one style, the two wheels are up front with the single wheel in the rear. In the other, the two wheels are in the back. In most cases, the two wheels are used for steering and braking, while the single third wheel is used as the main drive, with the chain and gears attached to it.
TerraTrike Rover 3: An affordable, easy to ride adult three wheeled recumbent bike
The TerraTrike Rover 3 is a wonderful option for anyone interested in getting into a three wheel recumbent bicycle. It's really affordable, and offers nice features for that low price. The bike offers a wonderfully small turning radius, and a three speed internal hub for easy shifting, even at a standstill. The 3 speeds make it great for getting around town or managing small hills.
It has a high seating position for comfort and visibility, and direct steering which makes handling a breeze. Compared to other recumbent three wheeled bikes out there, this one is extraordinarily affordable, and it's my personal favorite.
**They also make it in an 8 speed variety, in case you need a wider range of gears.
The Mobo Triton Pro is an entry level, cruiser style recumbent 3 wheeled bike. It's a little bit heavy for a daily commuter, but it's fun for a day at the beach or the park. Definitely good to check out!
Mobo Triton: An affordable 3 wheeled recumbent cruiser bicycle
The Mobo Triton Pro is a good entry level three wheeled recumbent bicycle. It's more intended for puttering around and having fun with the family than for serious commutes, but it does the job admirably. It's designed to be safe for all family members and most ages. It's built to be adjustable for different heights and sizes.
It is a single speed bicycle, and definitely more intended for fun and cruising around the neighbourhood than real long distance riding. It's the three wheeled recumbent bike equivalent of a beach or boardwalk cruiser, and it's an affordable and fun ride.
Is it the fanciest three wheeled recumbent bike on the market today? No, but it's fun, easy to ride and (most importantly) very affordable to purchase. Don't overlook the Mobo Triton!
With 8 speeds, linkage steering and strong disc brakes, this is a recumbent bike that's suited for all riding situations. Simple, comfortable and durable!
Performer Trike-X: A multi speed 3 wheeled recumbent bike for adults
The Performer Trike-X is a recumbent bicycle that's well suited for touring, commuting or even just running to the store to grab groceries. It features a whopping 27 speeds, so it's geared for virtually every riding situations. With a strong chromoly frame and linkage steering, this bike has everything you need. There are bar end shifters which are easy to access, and it features Tektro I.O. mechanical disc brakes. The tires are by Kenda, and it has a Truvativ crankset. The drivetrain delivers power nicely and it shifts well too.
The race-like seat is extremely comfortable. It's pretty low-slung, but you are upright enough to see everything coming your way.
Performer is well known for their recumbent bicycles, but they've made a splash with several reasonably priced adult recumbent tricycles that would compete with the best two-wheeled versions out there. This bike comes in a wide range of popular colors.
The more professional nature is reflected in the price, but this is one three-wheeled recumbent bike that will last a long time and serve any racer, commuter or fitness rider well for years to come.
KMX Tornado: An upright, adjustable adult recumbent three wheeled bike
The KMX Tornado is intended for someone who wants an affordable adult recumbent tricycle ride without compromising on fun or capability. With an adjustable seat and a strong steel frame, this bike is tough and capable. An 3 speed rear derailleur provides flexibility and capable gearing for hills or flats, and a sporty riding position and direct steering mechanism make this three wheeled recumbent tricycle a ton of fun to ride around the neighbourhood.
As these trikes go, this is an extremely affordable ride, and it doesn't compromise on fun, fit and finish or road capability. It's one of the best three wheeled recumbent bicycles around due to its sporty and fun stance, great maneuverability, and sporty qualities. You'll be surprised at how fast and zippy this trike really is, and I'd consider it one of the best adult recumbent trikes for a new rider or someone who's looking to get into this style.
Why Should I Consider a Three Wheeled Recumbent Bicycle? - List of Pros:
So why should you consider an adult-sized three wheeled bicycle? I have listed a few of my favorite reasons here:
- Comfort: A three wheeler recumbent bike is really the most comfortable way to go, hands down. No more hard saddle, no more leaning all your weight on the handlebars (and your wrists). The large seat makes your trip fly by, and you can rest easily at any point by simple pulling over and leaning back. It's on par with a folding camp chair, comfort wise.
- Superior Riding Position: a three wheeled recumbent bicycle has a superior riding position compared to a conventional bike in more ways than just comfort. The recumbent riding position provides an optimal power delivery position and allows for better resting between each pedal, meaning you can go farther using up less energy. It's incredible how far you can go on one of these bikes.
- Stability: Having three wheels, this adult bicycle will keep you extremely stable in all riding situations. If you're a little leery about the balance required for cycling, this is a great middle ground. Also, since your'e low to the ground, you don't sacrifice any agility, and tipping is almost impossible. It's like riding a little race car.
- Read on for the list of cons...
Cons of 3 Wheel Recumbent Cycles
There are a few downsides of recumbent bikes with three wheels. I'll list a few of them here.
- Visibility: Since you're in a lower riding position, a 3 wheeler will provide a bit less visibility on the road. That means that you are harder to see, especially by big trucks and vans. Many riders get around this by adding flags or other warnings for vehicles, and simply riding with this in mind, choosing routes carefully and being cautious.
- Portability: 3 wheel recumbent bikes are not necessarily easy to tote around. Some can fold up, but a lot of them will require a bit more storage space than a conventional bicycle. Storage racks for regular bikes won't work either, so you'll need to find a dedicated spot to store it if you commute in. If you can afford it, go for the fold-up variety, it'll save space.
- Expense: On the whole, a recumbent tricycle will cost more than a bicycle. This is because they have a bit more to them, and also because they are less common and considered a bit of a specialty item. The more people riding them, the lower prices will get. Really though, this shouldn't be much of a con. They are extremely durable and will last you for many years of constant use if you treat them well.
Safety Gear and Equipment
Recumbent bicycles with 3 wheels are very stable and safe, but they still require safety equipment. You'll be on the road and vulnerable, so be sure to pick up a decent helmet and reflective clothing. I also find that cycling shoes are a big help, making riding a lot more comfortable. And don't forget about a high quality bike lock!
There are also several decent car carriers for three-wheeled recumbent bikes, so you can carry it on your vehicle without too much hassle (though you might need two people to load it up!)