Which Is The Best Adult Tricycle Bike?
Three of the best adult trikes.
Cycling is fantastic. It's a great exercise and so much fun to get out on the road, and it's a great way to commute to and from work without spending a penny on gas.
But unfortunately a bicycle isn't an option for everyone. If you suffer from balance issues, injury or disability, a bike may not work. A good quality adult tricycle bike is an alternative for anyone missing the road.
Adult three-wheeled bicycles are great for a lot of reasons. Like conventional bikes, they are fun, fast and a great source of exercise. Trikes even have some significant advantages over conventional cycling.
This article will take a look at adult tricycle bikes and what makes them tick. We'll weigh the advantages and disadvantages and offer some tips on purchasing, riding and storing them. Then we'll review three great models I'd recommend checking out.
Let's get started!
Why adult 3-wheeled bicycles are growing in popularity
The adult-sized tricycle is in demand today because there is a growing need for a middle ground in the cycling industry.
There are a lot of people who find a conventional bicycle is difficult or undesirable for a number of reasons, but still want to enjoy the many benefits of cycling.
Full-sized tricycles for adults aren't new. They have actually been around since basically the birth of the bicycle around 150 years ago. For some reason, however, they have been relegated to the background, and today they're commonly associated with children's toys, taxi service vehicles and utility cargo carts.
I suggest that we start to think differently, since in many ways trikes are a lot more practical than the two-wheeled variety!
Luckily, today is a great era for those interested in riding adult trikes. Popular bike brand names like Schwinn are coming out with some functional and attractive options, like storage carts.
1) Kent Bayside: A comfortable, versatile full-sized tricycle for adults.
A proper three-wheeled bike with a generous basket
The . It's a fully steel-framed adult tricycle bike with a seven-speed Shimano grip shifter, so if you do run into any hills you'll be prepared. Kent Bayside is a nice option for anyone who requires some versatility in gearing and a bit more comfort and support than what other models offer
The trike is built with an adult rider in mind, and it's very comfortable and easy to get on and off. You'll notice the lumbar back support behind the seat, which is nice for when you need to lean back.
There's a front suspension fork for a softer ride, and a front fender for wet weather or gravel. Finally, it has a large integrated rear basket for groceries, bags or whatever you need to bring along.
This adult-sized tricycle gets great reviews (worth a read), and it's definitely one of the best three wheeled tricycles for adults available today. And it's pretty affordable considering the basket, the gearing options and all the free extras it comes with.
Schwinn Meridian: A large 3-wheeled adult bike that's fun to ride
Full-sized wheels increase your top speed
The . The step through frame makes it easy to get on and off, and the aluminum construction makes it on the lighter side as adult tricycles go. Schwinn Meridian is getting a lot of positive attention for its great looks, nice features and accessible price tag
It's a single speed, so it's best suited towards flatter areas with few hills. It's awesome for the beach or the boardwalk.
This is one of my top choices because you would be hard pressed to find a more affordable option than this. It's a lot less expensive than many conventional bicycles, so it's wonderful for riders wanting a stable, stylish and cargo friendly ride without breaking their bank account.
The padded seat and riding position are really comfortable, and you have a few color choices to pick from. And it comes with a rare inclusion: 26-inch wheels, meaning a higher top-end speed and smoother ride.
Long and lean, it's got a dragster-like feel to it. If you're an adult looking for a three-wheeled bike or trike and don't want to sacrifice fun, give this one a look.
Mobo Triton Pro: A recumbent trike for a different riding position
. Recumbent means that you sit in a reclined position with your feet in front of you while you cycle. It's a bit of a strange feeling at first, but ergonomically speaking it's probably the easiest and most comfortable position to do it from. It's a fantastic choice if you suffer from back or knee pain and feel more at ease in a reclined position. The Mobo Triton Pro is an affordable, unique recumbent tricycle for adults
With a single speed hub, a low center of gravity for great stability, direct steering and a high seat, this is comfy and easy to ride. You'll also get a ton of attention at the park or beach, and everyone will want to see how it works and find out where you got it.
The Triton Pro has an extendable frame, meaning it'll fit a wide range of riders. Pedaling is low impact and you steer using the two levers instead of a set of handlebars. It's fun!
One note, if you opt for a recumbent adult tricycle, I'd make sure to fit it with a flag if you're going to ride on the road, so vehicles can see you. The Triton Pro sits a bit lower to the ground than most upright trikes do, so buses and trucks might not see you very easily.
Why pick an adult trike over a regular bike?
Here are a few reasons why you might consider a three-wheeled bicycle over a standard bike.
- Stability: tricycles are extremely stable in most situations. While they do take a bit of getting used to (they ride differently from a bike, no leaning involved), they are great for all weather and terrain situations that bikes normally face. For anyone with balance worries, an adult tricycle is worth taking a look.
- Cargo Capacity: adult tricycle bikes can actually hold a decent amount of cargo compared with a regular bicycle. Many of them come with rear baskets that are quite large and stable. They are ideal grocery getters, and the ample storage capacity is a real advantage.
- Comfort: Tricycles for adults can be quite a bit more comfortable than a traditional bike. The riding position is relaxed, and there's no tension involved with the effort to stay balanced. You can ride for a longer period without getting fatigued on one of these things.
Cons and potential detractors
There are a few ways that bicycles are more advantageous than tricycles. I'll list them here.
- Weight: Tricycles are obviously much heavier than bicycles. That means that they can be a little harder to control, and you need to be sure your brakes are operating correctly. Re-aligning them or pulling them around can be a challenge.
- Storage & Transportation: Storing your adult tricycle bike can be a pain, because they take up more room than a regular bike. They are still portable compared to a vehicle, but you should make sure you have somewhere to stash it. Likewise, transporting it in a car can be tough unless you opt for a folding variety.
- Mechanically Complex: This is unlikely to be a major detractor, but the best tricycles for adults are usually more mechanically complex than a bicycle. That means they should have regular tune ups at a bike shop to make sure they're running correctly.