- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
Best Homemade Remedies for Acne
Are you tired of trying commercial treatments available in your dermatology clinic because it doesn’t work on you? Or you don’t have enough money to spend for your dermatological treatments? In this era of beauty and cosmetics, people might judge you, belittle you because of your skin. This is why many become furious when they have acne and all other skin problems. I mean, who doesn’t want a glowing, acne-free skin.
Treating acne is not that easy. Human skin is very delicate that applying some treatment may either cause damage or better results. There should be a perfect combination between the skin type and the type of remedy.
Different Skin Types
Neither oily nor dry; Small pores; Non-shiny; No wrinkles and blemishes; Even skin tone
Tight skin; Flaky skin; Regular irritation; Invisible Pores; Small wrinkles
Large sebum production; Visible shine; Pimple breakouts
Both dry and oily; Partly flaky; Often shiny and oily
Say acne no more. There are so many alternative home remedies that you can try in treating your acne. What is more convenient than using your available resources at home to treat your acne. Ingredients where you can just pull out from your refrigerator, your kitchen, your bathroom or even your garden.
Here are the 10 home remedies for acne that you wouldn't believe.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Many people consider Apple Cider Vinegar as miraculous as it heals so many acne problems. Due to the overflowing reviews about the curing powers of apple cider vinegar, many were encouraged to try it and luckily, experienced better results.
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the best antiseptic home remedies for clearing the skin. It is an ingredient that kills the bacteria in your pimples, renews your skin by removing the dead skin cells and helps reinstate the condition of your skin by balancing the natural acid existing within. Aside from clearing your pimples, apple cider vinegar also has components that reduce the darkening of the spots in your face and cut visibility of acne scars. It can also be used to further remove all the excess dirt and makeup seated on your face.
Apple Cider Vinegar acts as an astringent which makes it function as a pimple treatment. It dries up pimples overnight and restores the beauty of your damaged skin due to the UV rays from the sun and free radicals. Another advantage of using apple cider vinegar is that it is a good alternative to your harsh soaps and toner that just damages your skin. If you are afraid thinking apple cider vinegar is so acidic, then you are right. But, according to studies, apple cider vinegar becomes alkaline when consumed by the body. That is also why there were also cases like preparing apple cider vinegar and transforms into soap or used as a toner, water is present, to somehow reduce the acidity.
Step-by-step Procedure in Applying Apple Cider Vinegar on Face
1.Wash your face with a mild cleanser before starting with the treatment.
2. Use a cotton ball in applying apple cider vinegar on the face. It's better if to apply only to affected areas or parts of your face that have acne.
3. Leave it there on your face for 5-10 minutes.
4. Rinse well with lukewarm water. Pat dry.
5. If you think that you cannot handle the apple cider vinegar itself because your skin is sensitive, dilute it with water.
There are already many people who use potatoes as a remedy for acne. Some consider it as efficient but some do not. What do you think that makes potatoes good remedy for acne? Well actually, potatoes have an effective absorbent property. They absorb all the sebum from your face that causes the clogging of pores. Just like any other ingredient, potatoes paired with other ingredients are more effective. You can pair it with coconut water, rose-water, raw milk or the potato alone. Potatoes contain vitamin B and minerals that help fights acne. Potatoes have antioxidant properties that kill bacteria in your pimples thus preventing future breakouts. After weeks of applying raw potatoes, you will notice your skin getting clearer.
Step-by-step Procedure in Applying Potatoes on Face
1. Clean your face using a mild soap or cleanser. Always remember to clean face before doing any home treatment.
2. Pick a large size potato and grate it.
3. Extract the juice out of the potato. Do it by squeezing the potato or use any equipment capable of extracting juices.
4. You can directly apply it to your face after extraction. If you prefer a mask-like treatment, pair it with other ingredients like milk and rose water.
5. Leave it on your face for 15 minutes.
6. Rinse well with warm water and pat dry.
3. Feminine Wash
I know it’s a bit terrible just the thought of using a feminine wash on your face. But there are already people who have tried it and astonishingly, resulted well. This has been a trending topic in some of the Asian countries, especially in the Philippines. Teens in the Philippines have the most number of the population experiencing acne problems. According to some sources, many teens revealed their stories about the use of feminine wash as an acne remedy. According to them, their faces cleared in just weeks or possibly just a few days.
Feminine wash, as we already know is acidic. Just like the apple cider vinegar, its acidity helps one's face be treated by balancing also the acid present in the skin. Again, there is no scientific proof about the use of feminine wash as a treatment for acne. But if you want to give it a go, you can try it by applying a little amount on your face every night using a cotton. These solutions have a nice, fragrant smell so if you don't like the idea of applying a feminine wash on your face, you could just visualize it as an ordinary toner sold in the market.
Step-by-step Procedure in Applying Feminine Wash on Face
1. The first thing to consider is the brand of feminine wash to buy. Consider buying a feminine wash that is popular in your country. Don’t just buy brands that are not known where that could be fake and would just cause more damage and irritation to your skin.
2. Second, wash your face and make sure it is clean enough before you apply the feminine wash.
3. Lastly, apply a small amount of feminine wash on your face using a cotton.
4. Rub in a circular motion for minutes especially to the parts where you have acne.
5. Rinse well with lukewarm water.
It is not quite shocking that lemons are good remedies for pimples since it has lots of benefits in the body. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and make the skin brighter, whiten the teeth, treat blackheads and wrinkles and lastly, lemons treat acne effectively. In the matter of acne, lemons are very acidic that’s why they are very good in fighting bacteria on the face. They have astringent elements that help force a large amount of sebum on the face to pull out. It is one of the cheapest alternatives for acne remedy available in the market.
Lemons are associated with different ingredients that are also available in your homes. One of the best partners with lemon is sugar. Exfoliation and unclogging of pores are the main roles of sugar in the lemon-sugar combination. They are perfect for each other because once the sugar exfoliates the dead skin cells on your face, lemons will do their job by penetrating through your face and do the cleansing.
Step-by-step Procedure in Applying Lemons on Face
1. Clean your face with mild soap or cleanser. Rinse well with warm water. Dry your face for 5 minutes.
2. Cut a lemon in half. Squeeze them into a bowl.
3. Apply using a cotton directly on your face. If you have a sensitive skin, pair it with water and honey.
4. Rinse again with lukewarm water and pat dry.
Do you have new big acne that is swelling on your face? Cool it down and reduce the redness and protrusion using an ice. Ice is actually best for newly born acne. It is the cheapest and the most natural ingredient among the home remedies available. They naturally transform large acne to small sizes, shrinking it without enormous effort.
Ice works both as a treatment and a prevention. It will treat acne by mitigating the pain and itching of your acne. Through time, sizes of acne diminished because of the cooling effect and reduce the breakout thus, removing the pimples. After application of an ice, pores tightened and minimized so dirt won’t clog anymore preventing future breakouts.
The only consequence of this treatment is a just a minor thing. You might gotta be in cold-pain while doing the treatment. You can use an ice pack to at least lessen the coldness and always remember not to apply ice directly to your face. If you have a high tolerance of coldness, then doing this ice treatment might be something you want to do every day to treat and prevent acne.
If you are after hydration while cleaning your face, go with the honey treatment. I know you’ve been hearing so many news about honey as an acne treatment. Honey is good in healing serious acne scars and repairs the skin back to its smooth, youthful texture. Since honey is an antibacterial organic ingredient, it is a good aid against environmental hazards absorbed by the skin. It is also one those remedies that you can use alone or with other ingredients like lemon and baking soda.Just make sure to use the raw honey to preserve all the nutrients and ingredients that are useful in clearing acne.
Step-by-step Procedure in Using Honey as Acne Treatment
1. Clean your face.
2. Use cotton in applying the honey on your face. It's best to put more on the affected areas.
3. Leave it there for 30-45 minutes.
4. Rinse with lukewarm water and cold water right after.
5. Do this regularly to achieve best results.
8. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves are a good antiseptic remedy for pimples. Ever since its main use is generally for cleaning and leaves as believed by many, are more helpful than the fruit itself. Guava leaves have anti-bacterial properties that help in fighting bacteria in pimples.
Guava trees are abundant in Asian countries, especially in the Philippines. It is known in the Philippines as a good cure for any wound. Believed by Filipinos, guava leaves kills the bacteria in wounds and help in the closing of wounds for faster recovery.
There are so many ways on how to use guava leaves as a treatment for acne. One thing you can do is extracting guava leaves, boiling it and use it as a toner. In that sense, a warm solution of guava leaves will combat your acne problems by opening your pores thus, cleaning your skin thoroughly.
Step-by-step Procedure in Using Guava Leaves as Acne Treatment
1. Pick guava leaves from your tree. You can also ask for leaves from your neighbors.
2. Crush the guava leaves using mortar and pestle.
3. Mix the crushed leaves with water. Stir it until it turns into a paste.
4. Apply directly to your face using cotton. Beforehand, wash your face with lukewarm water.
5. Leave it there for 30 minutes. If itching occurs, rinse it immediately.
1. Aside from crushing the guava leaves, an alternative method for preparing an acne treatment from guava leaves is by boiling.
2. Wait until it turns into brown.
3. Use a cotton ball in applying to your face.
4. Rinse well with water.
Ever wondered applying toothpaste on your acne? Just like an ice, toothpaste also sorts out the redness and swelling of your acne. Its coldness is the main reason for its effectiveness in treating acne. They are also good in reducing acne scars.
But there are some preventive measures to consider. Most kinds of toothpaste contain fluoride. Fluoride or Fluoroderma is a component that is seen in different foods, tap water, and toothpaste that can cause acne. Proven by dermatologists, fluoride irritates your skin thus stimulating cysts acne and are most probable to appear around the mouth area. In order for you to utilize toothpaste well, choose a toothpaste that is fluoride-free.
10. Baking Soda
Does baking soda use only in making food? The answer is NO. Don’t just let your baking soda be in your refrigerator for days waiting for a certain occasion where you can use it. Baking soda has so many benefits on the skin. You have so many things to do with baking soda like making affordable treatments of acne out of it.
What makes baking soda good for acne? Firstly, baking soda is an alkaline. Since acne is a result of too much acidity on the skin, applying baking soda will help neutralize the pH level of the skin. Second, baking soda relaxed and renews the skin by eliminating dead skin cells. As part of the treatment, exfoliating is good to recover your beautiful skin and remove all the unwanted impurities. Lastly, it fixes the collagen in the skin to promote skin growth.
Just like any other ingredient, baking soda forms a great combination with other natural ingredients to combat acne effectively. Baking soda associated with water, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or just the baking soda alone. You can make a mask, a scrub, use it as a toner or even a cleanser.
Step-by-step Procedure in Using Baking Soda as Acne Treatment
1. Baking soda as a treatment for acne comes with partners. You have the option to choose but lemons and water are the most recommended.
2. Apply the baking soda baking soda-water paste on your face and rub it gently with a cotton.
3. Leave it there for 15 minutes.
4. Rinse with water 2 times. Do this regularly or 5 times a week.
1. Prepare a bowl. Add 3 teaspoons of lemon juice to 4 tablespoons of baking soda.
2. Mix and apply directly to your acne using a cotton.
3. Leave the paste on your face for 10-15 minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
5 Repeat these steps at least 3 times a week.
Everything mentioned above does not necessarily apply to everyone. It may cause you goodness or it could cause you more damage or no progress at all. These ingredients vary as some have scientific proofs and some do not. There are also instances that these ingredients work well with each other like potato paired with honey and lemon and so on and so forth. Always remember that it all depends on your skin type, the way your skin reacts to a specific organic ingredient is one factor to be considered. It’s always best to do a research more about a certain ingredient and see if it fits your skin. It is also advisable to avoid eating foods that stimulate more of acne and the most effective thing to do is to drink lots of water.
Feel free to comment down below if you have any concerns or suggestions about this article.
Pick your favorite acne remedy
Which among these home remedies you like the most?
© 2017 John Ray De la Cruz Cuevas