How to do finger waves a fun curly hair style
The finger wave hair style was started around the 1920s. This hair style became more and more popular throughout the next few decades. It is still used all the time. Even some celebrities wear this hair style. You can wear it whether your hair is short or long. It looks great for every occasion. For a fancy look you can dress it up with a couple of nice hair clips . This hairstyle can also go casual. It is a great hair style for adding some edge to your usual look.
How to do the finger wave for short hair
When your hair is short this is a very easy simple hair style. It takes a little time but once you get it down it is much easier.
What you will be needing
- Hair gel or hair lotion
- Spray bottle of water
- Dampen all of your hair
- Comb all your hair straight back
- Part your hair
- Put a hand full of gel in your hair (at least)
- Take your two fingers and place them right next to your part
- Take the comb and brush the hair next to your fingers froward in a c shape
- Then remove the comb put two more fingers next to the hair you just shaped
- Repeat this process all over your head
- It is best to start with the front section and work your way back
- make sure that your curls line up into a line or pattern
- Now you have the finger wave hair style!
I found this video on finger waving to be very helpful
How to do the finger wave for long hair
This style is a little more complicated and time consuming for long hair. I think that it is totally worth it though. It is a very elegant looking style for long hair. This style was not meant for long hair originally because the woman of that time usually favored shorter hair. They also had no way to heat style yet because curling irons and blow dryers had not been invented yet.
What you will need
- Hair gel
- Spray bottle full of water
- Hair spray (optional)
- Curling iron
- Hair clips to pin hair into place
- Hair dryer
What to do next
- First follow all of the above instructions above for the top half of your hair
- Either wait for the top half to dry completely or use a hair dryer
- Next separate the bottom half of your hair into two rows
- Start with the the bottom row
- Curl small strands of your hair in this row in one direction and the pin them up so they can set
- After the first row is finished start curling the second row in the opposite direction (one row should be towards your face the other should be away from you face)
- Pin all of these curls up as well to let them set.
- Lightly spray with hair spray (optional)
- Let all the curls down and adjust how you would like
Helpful video for finger waving long hair
Some different ways to wear the finger wave
So if you decide you really love this hair style there are few things you can do to dress it up. You can do what they did in the twenties and thirties and wear it with a cute hat such as a fedora. You can get some cute hair clips like butterflies. Adding a couple of feathers is another cute accent. Any of these accessories will add some flare and personalize this look. Also for long hair pinning it up into a bun like the video above is another great option. You can't go wrong this style can be worn just about anywhere for any occasion.
Some more of my work
- Tips on fixing damaged hair
Damaged hair can be tough to work with. These tips will get your hair back to being healthy, shiny and beautiful without having to take a trip to the salon. These tricks are easy, inexpensive and can be done at home with natural products.
- How to Darken your hair color naturally at home
How to darken your hair color with natural products at home. Use ingredients like cocoa and sage.
- How to lighten your hair naturally at home
Tips to naturally lighten your hair at home. These tips use natural ingredients, are inexpensive and will not cause much damage to your hair. These methods are fast and easy to use.
Some related hubs
- Home Salon - Different Ways to Curl Your Hair
Bye-bye boring straight hair. Let's create some curls, kinks and waves.
- Vintage Curls Without Heat!
Want to curl your hair without heat, well try Vintage curls! This how to guide with pictures shows you how to curl your hair overnight!
- Hair Curling Tips and Techniques- Tricks You Wish Yo...
Battling your hair? Check out these hair curling tips that will have you looking fantastic in no time.
- How to do Sock Bun Curls
How to Curl your hair without heat and overnight with a sock! Sock bun curls guide and information with pictures