- Fashion and Beauty
5 Homemade Hair Treatments for Winter
Tis the Season for Winter Hair!
You know the feeling - getting ready to go to that long awaited christmas party, dress is on and you're all glammed up, ready to go...apart from that dreaded winter hair. Dull, flyaway, branching out into what seems like a million split ends. Winter is a season of many lovely things - hair is not usually one of them.
Help is at hand however, surprisingly from your fridge! Try these home made hair treatments to have your hair looking lovely, nourished and smooth in no time.
Avocado & Mayonnaise Conditioner
Give your hair deep hydration with this deeply nourishing treatment without the need to think about any moisture depriving chemicals
- Mix 4 tbsp mayonnaise, half an avocado, and 2 egg yolks into a bowl.
- Beat with a fork until the mixture is of a smooth and thick consistency
- Smooth the mixture onto your hair from root to tip, paying special attention to any split ends
- Cover your hair in a plastic shower cap (or any plastic wrap) and cover with a hot towel
- Leave on for 25 minutes then rinse out thoroughly with warm water
Will give you gorgeously smooth hair with none of the nasty chemicals!
Warm Olive Oil Hair Mask
This is the simplest of all the hair treatments, and one of the most effective. Olive Oil's rich moisturizing properties make it ideal for use on dry hair.
- Heat the olive oil for around 2 minutes (don't let the oil boil)
- If you wish, add 2 drops of lavender oil (or any other scent)
- Apply the oil to your hair starting at the roots and massage
- For very dry hair, leave the mixture on overnight. For normal hair leave the oil on for 1 hour
- Rinse with warm water and shampoo with normal haircare routine
Hot olive oil is an essential winter treament for hair dried out by harsh winter weather. Use this once a month for hydrated, soft hair.
Ginger Dandruff Repair
Eliminate dandruff flakes and itchy scalp with this simple ginger repair treatment
- Squeeze ginger root to get 1tbsp of juice
- Mix ginger juice, 1tsp olive oil and 2 tsp of lemon juice in a bowl
- Apply the mixture directly to your scalp and let dry for 45 minutes
- Shampoo and rinse hair as normal
Honey Egg Hydrating Mask
Honey naturally attracts and locks in moisture. This mask is especially good for sun or heat damaged hair
- Mix half a cup of honey with one egg yolk
- Massage into hair and let sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse and wash hair as normal
The egg yolk helps replenish any lost keratin from the hair, and honey works at locking in moisture. Repeat the masque once a month for gorgeously hydrated locks!
Banana and Egg Mask
Massage in this rich mask to bring life back to your hair
- Mash 1 banana, 1/2 avocado and 1 egg in a small bowl
- Add in 2tbsp honey, and 3 tbsp olive oil
- Apply to hair from roots to tips
- Leave in for 30 minutes then rinse out and follow normal washing process
Use this mask twice a month for gorgeous hair with volume!