80's fashion is back. Are you on board?
Why I loved the 80's
There are many reasons why I loved the 1980s. I "grew up" during those years, spent much of my teen years in the 80's, had my first crush, first boyfriend, etc. So those things alone should cause my heart to flutter at the thought.
I'm not here to talk about love, or lack thereof, today. I am exuding excitement at the thought of the 80's fashion coming back into style!! Today's fashion is a quick-fix; simply, quick, easy. Hey, I like to keep things simple as much as the next guy, but when I was in the height of my fashion sense, as a teenager, I spent hours on my look.
That's not to say that I have forgotten today's fashion, I just can't wear it myself. There are some incredible brands of clothing out there today such as Hollister, Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Baby Phat. These companies have taken over the last decade of clothing and style. I respect these brands and I wear them today, but may I make a general statement about today's "style"? I call it the "Lazy Slut" style. Think about it, most of them have messy hair, or their hair up in a messy bun, or even just straight, flat hair. Their clothes barely cover their unmentionables. It doesn't take more than 20 minutes for them to get ready in the morning and so many of them look like they're off to work the corner for the day! If you're offended by that statement, take a look in the mirror. Now, obviously I'm not labeling the classy adults or other adults over age 25 because they were lucky enough to catch the tail end of the 80's fashion (which spilled into the very early 90's). Those of us inside that era know how to wear clothing. We wear it for its original purpose, to cover things. And of course there are many classy women and young ladies from today too, I'm not aiming this mini-rant at them whatsoever.
In case you forgot some things about the 80's (totally possible) I've outlined a list below of my own favorites. If you have the time, please leave your favorites in the comments section, I love to recall those days. Happiness was flourishing in me every day, or was it lust for my first crush? More than likely a little of both. Remember those days?
My favorites from the 80's (in no special order)
1 Hoop Earrings - Big hoop earrings
2. Extra long shirts with mammoth sized belts
3. Patterns - Flowers, big abstract shapes, vibrant colors
4. Colors - Era started out in pastels and vibrant reds and blues; ended with flourescent pink, green, yellow
5. Big Hair and Aqua Net - I always made sure that I had the biggest hair. Really, I would spend almost two hours a morning, combing and ratting my hair as crazy and animal-like as I could get it. I've realized now that I'm in my 30's that that was my eccentricity as a writer. The Aqua Net was a necessity for big hair. We all used it and loved it at one point. And then we learned that cement-like hair, is not really attractive...lol
6. Big Hair Bands - Poison, Warrant, Skid Row, Kiss, Metallica, Aerosmith....need I go on?
7. 80's songs - Cherry Pie, Every Rose Has Its Thorn, 18 and Life, Sweet Child O' Mine, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Ice Ice Baby, Baby Got Back, OPP, Let's Talk About Sex, Hot For Teacher
8. Bling - So began the era of "bling". Remember the rappers who wore alarm clocks and hub caps around their necks? If you wore under 13 necklaces at one time, you were deemed nerdy?
9. MTV - Life as we knew it, would never be the same. Mtv was born and has yet to slow down. The video that coincides with the song, perfection. Teens remain glued to their television sets to watch this legendary, iconic TV channel.
10. Coordinating outfits - Remember ladies? If we wore a green, red, and blue shirt, our socks had to be green, red, or blue. In fact, we not only matched one of the colors in our shirt, but sometimes every color! I remember wearing three different colored pairs of socks at once, one sock would come down just a little further from the next, around my calf, to accentuate each colored sock.....a big clue as to why it took me two hours to get ready in the morning:)
11. Jelly bracelets and Jelly Shoes - enough said.
12. Roller Skating - For my era and school, roller skating was the only way to go. Everyone I knew would meet there each weekend and we spent much of our young, hormonal moments on skates. Every time Sweet Child O' Mine played, everyone would make sure to skate, the rink was densely crowded but so much fun!
13. High-top tennis shoes
14. Zubaz - The ugliest, but most comfortable invention to date. Remember the patterns on these oversized sweats? Zebra, snakeskin, tiger......
15. Wearing your sweatshirts inside out, or your jeans backwards - Both of those silly fads came and went through my school. Someone was always trying to outdo the next.
16. Batman pants or Hammer pants - Batman pants had two big flaps at the hips, where they'd come together and button in the front...wow. Hammer pants had extra folds of material at the crotch that hung to your knees....another wow!
17. Jean jackets - You weren't cool if you didn't have a jean-jacket of some type. It didn't even have to be Levi's, but you had to have one.
18. Ripped and torn jeans - One of my favorite styles! I see it's coming back now, I'm in love! There's just something about someone wearing pants that look like a raccoon has nested in them.
19. Biker shorts - This style has already been back in for a couple of years. The tight, black shorts that sit just above the knee, or just below the knee. You'd wear them under shorts or skirts.
20. Blue eye-shadow - Picture it....dark blue or black eyeliner and bright blue eye-shadow. Madonna? Cyndi Lauper? Now are you seeing it?
There are many other reasons why I loved the 80's and its fashion. These are just a few. Hope I brought you on a good trip down memory lane. I know writing it was lots of fun:)
These rockin' 80's fashion photos (except for one of woman with short, blonde hair) are featured at this awesome website:
- 80s Clothing Trends
80s fashion trends The 80s produced some interesting things. Fashion wasn't its strongest point. As trends are recycled and decades revisited we can only hope that the 80s stays in the 80s, and...
- 80s Style
Wanna relive the 80s? Well, grab your legwarmers and your hi-top sneakers. It's time to get your 80s on.