- Fashion and Beauty
A Natural Solution to Dry, Damaged Hair
What You'll Need
- 1-3 eggs
- A towel
- Plastic wrap or a shower cap
- A bowl and fork
- Olive oil
Are you searching for an easy, inexpensive way to get your hair back to being healthy? Then you've come to the right place. I was once struggling with dry, brittle hair because of overuse of heat tools and coloring. I went to my mother for advice and she gave me a recipe that her mother used. By combining mayonnaise and eggs you can create a natural deep conditioner! I decided to try it out to see how effective this little concoction could be.
The first time I tried the homemade conditioner I used two whole eggs and about half a cup of mayonnaise. After leaving the odd smelling mixture in my hair for 20 minutes, I rinsed it out. I was pleasantly surprised that there was an immediate change, even though it was subtle, my hair was definitely more moisturized. I then began to experiment with other combinations to find the best conditioner for my hair.
What I found to work best is as follows:
- Start with getting a bowl and a fork for mixing.
- I like using one whole egg and separating the whites and the yolk in the second and only using the yolk in the conditioner. You can use up to 2 whole eggs in the mixture but just remember, the yolks are what have the most protein and nutrients that is going to help your hair. If you have very long hair you may want to use three egg yolks. Just experiment and find what works for you.
- Add between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise to the eggs in the bowl. The mayo serves as an intense moisturizer since it has so much oil in it.
- For extra moisture mix in about a tablespoon on olive oil or honey.
- After mixing all ingredients, its time to get down to business. Put a towel over your shoulder to reduce the mess you make. (This can get pretty runny!)
- Apply the mixture lightly at the roots and work it through your hair. I just apply the mixture with my hands but if you prefer, you can use gloves on this step.
- After your hair is completely saturated, wrap it up onto the top of your head and put on a shower cap if you have one. If you don't have a shower cap, don't worry! Use plastic wrap or another towel instead.
- Leave on your hair for at least 15 minutes, but no more than an hour.
- Rinse and wash your hair in the shower as normal. Repeat once a week for gorgeous, soft, healthy hair!