Multani Mitti (Fuller's Earth) - Benefits for the Skin and Hair
What Is Multani Mitti | Fuller's Earth
What we call Multani Mitti in India is known as Fuller's Earth in the West. It is a calcium based clay which is smooth in texture and is found in a variety of colors like off white, brown, yellow and even green.
Fuller's Earth is a natural mineral that has been traditionally been used for thousands of years to heal and maintain skin and hair health. It has no side effects.
For about 7000 years Multani Mitti was one of the ingredients used to remove oil from sheep's wool because of its amazing oil absorbing characteristics. It also in the process decolorises oil or liquids. This was a chemical free treatment to remove oil. Fuller's Earth mainly consists of bentonite..
It is a much used ingredient in skin and hair care products. In fact, it lightens skin color and is therefore also applied as a facial bleach.
Multani Mitti derives its name from Multan in Pakistan where it is found. It is widely available and cheap.
Though USA produces the largest quantity of Fuller's earth other countries like Spain, Senegal, Mexico, Japan too chip in with notable production. Pakistan and India too are among producers of Fuller's earth which is found abundantly all over the world.
Components Of Fuller's Earth
Fuller's earth is primarily composed of hydrous Aluminium silicates like montmorillonite, kaolinite and attapulgite and others like calcium, magnesium, silica, iron, calcite, quartz and dolomite in small amounts.
Multani Mitti Applications
Though most of us are aware of just the cosmetic uses of Multani mitti or Fuller's earth, the fact is that it has a wide variety of applications. Some of these are listed below.
- As an absorbent for oil, grease and animal waste as well as a carrier for pesticides and fertilizers.
- As a filler in paints, plaster and adhesives.
- As a cleaning agent for marble as it removes dust, dirt, stains and brings back the lost shine to the marble.
- Used in commercial cat litter because of its highly absorbent, deodorizing and non toxic properties.
- Used extensively in the Motion picture industry.
- Used to decontaminate clothing contaminated with chemical agents.
- Used to refine edible oils and fats.
- Making carbonless copy paper.
- As a fiber and filler retention aid in paper making.
Fuller's Earth & Bentonite Clay - Are They The Same?
Both are cosmetic clays and because of this many of us are under the impression that Fuller's earth and Bentonite clay are one and the same thing. The fact is; they are not!
Fuller's earth is not Bentonite clay though it is also a bleaching clay like the former. Bentonite clay is a swelling type of a clay while fuller's earth is a sedimentary clay and this difference is because of their different chemical composition.
Bentonite clay contains sodium as the exchangeable ion where as in Fuller's earth it is calcium. However, Fuller's earth or calcium bentonite can be converted to Bentonite clay by cation exchange process or acid activation.
Properties And Benefits Of Fuller's Earth For The Skin
Some of the benefits of Multani Mitti for the skin are:
- Antiseptic and soothing action
- Improves blood circulation
- Cleansing and toning
- Adsobent, absorbent and decolorising
- Anti inflammatory and calms irritations
- Non toxic and safe
Health Benefits Of Multani Mitti For Skin And Hair
In this hub we will be looking into the beauty (health) benefits that Fuller's earth provides for the skin and hair.
As a face pack Fuller's earth improves and lightens the complexion, eliminates fine wrinkles and tones up the skin and the best part is that it suits all skin types. For those with oily skin it is a boon as it removes excess oil.
Multani mitti also helps to treat and prevent pimples and acne, removes blemishes and scars and even exfoliates the skin.
It treats dandruff, removes excess oil and as it improves blood circulation it aids in hair growth and prevents split ends.
A Basic Pack | Scrub With Multani Mitti
Mix equal quantities of water and multani mitti to make a paste. Apply as a pack or scrub for the face, hair and body.
Some Beauty Recipes For Face And Hair
- To Remove Oiliness From The Face
Make a paste of multani mitti with a little rose water. Apply on face and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- To Tighten Skin
Add egg white to multani mitti and mix in curd to make a smooth paste. Apply on the face.
- For Silky Hair
Soak multani mitti in water for a few hours, then apply on the hair and scalp. Massage lightly for a couple of minutes and then wash it off.
- Face Pack For Dry Skin
Soak few almonds in water overnight. Next morning, remove the skins and make its paste with a little milk. Apply on the face and wash it off when almost dry.
- To Remove Blemishes And Marks
Take equal quantities of multani mitti, sandalwood powder and gram flour (besan) add just enough rose water to make a paste. Apply and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- To Remove Blackheads and Whiteheads
Make a scrub by mixing multani mitti, oatmeal and glycerine. Apply and scrub it off while still wet.
- For Pimples & Acne
Add some neem leaves powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder to multani mitti and make a paste with water. Apply and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- For Skin Lightening | Suntan Removal
Mix 1 tsp besan and 1/4 tsp haldi in 1 tbsp multani mitti and add rose water to make a paste. Apply and leave it for 15 minutes.
- For Glowing Skin
Soak multani mitti in rose water and add equal quantity of fresh fruit like papaya, banana or strawberries. Blend to form a paste. Apply and leave it for 20 minutes. Then wet it and scrub it off gently.
- To Condition Hair
Soak a little multani mitti in water then make a thin paste. Add a few tsp of olive oil and apply on the hair. Wash off after 20 minutes.
- For Soft Skin
Soak 2 or 3 almonds in water overnight. In the morning grind them and add a little multani mitti. Mix in a little milk to make a paste. Apply this paste on the face and keep it for 15 minutes.
- Do not talk when you have applied multani mitti pack on the face.
- Do not turn your neck when the pack is applied on the neck.
- Always wash it off before it dries up completely but leave it on for at least 10 minutes. Wet with again with water if necessary.
Some Home Uses For Multani Mitti
- Multani mitti is great for minor burns, menstrual or muscular pain and even insect bites.
Just apply a paste made with water and bandage it.
- You can use it to deodorize carpets and shoes. Just sprinkle them with some Fuller's earth and leave it for sometime. Then dust it off.
- Fuller's earth also helps remove spots and stains caused by oil, grease and fats. All you need to do is sprinkle some of it on the area to be treated and let it remain overnight. Dust or brush it off.
Some Other Articles By The Author
- Natural Apple Cider Vinegar Remedies And Does Apple ...
Apple cider vinegar, the folk medicine, has both supporters and detractors. Does apple cider vinegar cure? What are the apple cider vinegar remedies? Read on to find out...
- Ritha, Aritha Or Soap Nuts - The 100% Natural Deterg...
Soapnuts, Ritha, Aritha are the fruits of a number of trees of the Genus Sapindus. Find out the benefits, uses, and surprisingly, the many health benefits of this 100% natural detergent & cleaner.....
- Alum Or Phitkari - Uses And Benefits
Alum has long been used to clear the turbidity in water. Apart from its many other uses it has some health benefits as well. Read on to know more about them...
- Amazing Health Benefits Of Baking Soda Or Sodium Bic...
Baking soda is not only used for baking but has multiple uses in the home. But beyond all that it has some amazing health benefits which you will read in this article...
Multani Mitti Face Packs for Intense Glow, Smooth & Clear Skin
Multani Mitti Face Pack
© 2016 Rajan Singh Jolly