Biotin for Hair: Pros and Cons, Side Effects, and Precautions
What Is Biotin?
Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin also known as vitamin B7, vitamin H, or coenzyme R. It plays an important role in cell growth and the metabolism of fats and amino acids, which make up protein. A biotin deficiency can result in hair loss, dull skin, and a lack of energy.
There are many pills on the market that contain not only biotin, but also other B vitamins that also help with cell metabolism and other nutrients, such as vitamin A and C, silica, and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
These pills can do wonders for your hair, but they can also harm your skin and health if you do not understand how to use them. While I am not a doctor or a dermatologist, I have done a lot of research on biotin capsules.For professional help you may consult my skin doctor, the link to her website is at the end of the article.If you are thinking about buying biotin pills, here are my tips and review. Let’s talk about biotin-only capsules first, then the all-in-one pill.
Biotin Review: The Effects of Biotin on Hair and Skin
You can buy pills that contain nothing but biotin to add to your daily routine. Nature's Bounty sells pure biotin. However, it contains gelatin and beeswax, so if you're a vegetarian or vegan, you'll want to go with Solgar or Natrol, which use vegetable-based alternatives.
- Healthy hair: Biotin has been proven to make hair grow faster, thicker, and stronger for those with biotin deficiencies. You can actually see the results in a month or two. There’s also evidence showing that biotin can improve the health of your hair even if you’re not deficient.
- Strong nails: It makes your nails grow faster and stronger as well.
- Stretch marks removal: Biotin makes your skin healthier and helps get rid of stretch marks.
- Acne and Breakouts: Biotin may cause acne and breakouts. The results on your skin may be terrible, but the following precautions will reduce the risk of this happening.
- Dosage: It is extremely important to only take one pill a day. Take it with a heavy meal, and start out with the minimum dosage. For all those who are taking it for the first time, start out with 1000 mcg or less, and see how your body reacts to it. If you have good results, you can increase the dosage if you choose.
- Water: As I mentioned, biotin is a water-soluble vitamin, so drink lots and lots of water—health authorities recommend two liters, or eight cups, a day normally. But with this medicine drink atleast 3.5 ltrs a day.
- Vitamin B complex: Biotin is just part of the vitamin B complex, which also includes vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6, B9 (folic acid), and B12. All of the B vitamins contribute to cell metabolism, so their quantities should be balanced. So, if you are consuming biotin, you should also take vitamin B supplements to avoid acne. However, while there are no adverse side effects for having too much biotin, you want to be sure to limit your vitamin B3 supplements to 35 mg/day and your vitamin B9 (folic acid) to 1 mg/day.
- Multivitamins: Instead of taking a vitamin B supplement, you can take a multivitamin. Check the label to make sure it contains the B vitamins listed in the precaution above.
- Duration: Take these pills for two or two-and-a-half months only. It is rightly said that anything in excess is a bad thing. In my research, I found that no matter how many precautions people took, they often experienced one health problem or another. After all, these are medicines, so you should not depend on them too much. You will be able to see the results within as little as one month or as much as two-and-a-half months—after that, I do not recommend continuing. Instead, maintain your beautiful hair with exercises and proper diet.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women and children shouldn’t take these pills unless prescribed by a doctor.
All-in-One B-Complex Pill
These are pills that contain other vitamins and minerals that complement biotin, such as the vitamin B complex, silica, and MSM. The silica and MSM help maintain collagen and keratin, so they are also good for hair. The all-in-one B-complex pill mentioned in the video above is by Hairfinity; in addition to Hairfinity, Nature's Bounty sells B-complex pills (their High Potency B-Complex Plus Electrolytes and Vitamin C pills contain 300 mcg of biotin), as does Solgar (their Vitamin B Complex "100" Extra High Potency tablets contain 100 mcg of biotin) and Natrol (their supplement also contains 100 mcg of biotin).
- Biotin benefits: These pills share all of the benefits of a biotin-only pill. However, most b-complex pills contain a lower dosage of biotin.
- MSM: MSM treats inflammation, pain, hair loss, and cramps, among other things.
- Biotin disadvantages: You may suffer with all the problems as mentioned above that are caused by biotin.
- Bacterial yeast infection: These pills may lead to bacterial yeast infection, which causes painful urination and sex, severe overall soreness, and mild to intense itching.
- MSM side effects: MSM can have side effects including bloating, diarrhea, upset stomach, or headaches.
- Biotin precautions: Take all the precautions already mentioned for biotin.
- Vitamin C: If your pill contains vitamin C, it is important to take it not only with a meal, but also with a full glass of water. Do not lie down immediately after taking this pill.
- Allergies: It is extremely rare to suffer an allergic reaction to these pills, but it is possible. If you experience itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
Biotin can be good for your hair, skin, and nails if you take the proper precautions. This article was not meant to scare you away from trying it! Rather, it was make you aware of how to do so safely. You should also do your own research on the topic.
I hope you have a happy, smooth, and successful hair journey!
MY SKIN DOCTOR
I have already mentioned in my article that nor am I a professional in medicine neither am I a dematologist. All the information provided above is as per my detailed research on BIOTIN. But sometimes being a human I also freak out when I get skin infections and hair problems and I am left with no solution.
That is the time when I consult my skin doctor- Dr Surbhi , MD Skin- founder of www.dermatocare.com
I can blindly trust on the medicines she prescribes and it always works for me like magic!! If you are going through skin or hair problems and nothing works then www.dermatocare.com is the guaranteed solution for you.!!
BELOW IS THE LINK TO www.dermatocare.com
- Ask your skin or hair queries to dermatologist, skin specialist, or advanced dermatology consultants
DR. SURBHI MAHAJAN: Provides professional solutions online for all the HAIR & SKIN problems by the mouth of renowned dermatologist. WORKS LIKE MAGIC