How To Wear a Babydoll Dress Without Looking Frumpy
Spring-Summer Fashion 2016
The baby doll dress is again in the fashion spotlight for spring/summer 2016. To look stunning in a babydoll dress just make sure you choose the right length, match it with high heels and don't forget to get proper support from your underwear.
Wearing a Babydoll Style Dress
What Is A Baby Doll Dress?
If you have been living on another planet and have failed to see Hollywood icons like Sandra Bullock wearing baby doll dresses, don't worry you are not too late to catch up. A baby doll dress is, as you can imagine, highly inspired on the baby doll nightgown.
The dress is feminine, and flirty, ideal for those days when you are feeling a bit bloated. It usually skims gracefully through curves accentuating your best assets like beautiful breasts or a great pair of legs.
Floral Babydoll Dress
Rihana Wearing a Babydoll Dress
How to Wear a Baby Doll Dress
The thing about a baby doll dress is that it can make you look incredibly sexy or horrendously ridiculous. If you have an ample bosom and relatively flat stomach this look can make you look both sweet and sexy. However, if you have heavy thighs you would be better wearing a long version.
- Get proper support from your underwear. This goes for every item of clothing. Proper underwear that holds everything in place can make a big difference to your overall look. If you want to wear a baby doll dress with a deep plunging neckline choose a push-up bra to enhance your assets, this will drive attention away from ‘problem' areas and will help the effect of the hourglass figure. Some of the Victoria's secret baby doll dresses come with in-built brassieres.
- The length: Just a few inches above the knee is best. If you are petite, you can wear it a bit shorter but not too much. Bear in mind that baby doll dresses are flowy and they will "show off" in a windy day. Which takes me to the next rule for wearing a baby doll dress: never wear one during a windy day or for doing vigorous dancing like a Ceilidh or a Salsa party unless of course you want to show your "jewels" on every turn!
- High heels go very well with baby doll dresses. Look at Paris Hilton wedges, they are just perfect for her dress, not too flashy but with enough added high. If you are wearing your dress on the beach, you can even get flip flops with a little heel or wedge to add high and glamour.
- Printed dresses look better on tall girls. If you are petite a one colour only dress will look nicer on you. If you have a small bust, you can enhance its looks with a different bust colour, like the Paris Hilton dress on the right.
- To avoid the "pregnant" look you should wear appropriate make up and avoid going out with a "morning sickness" look. Wear high heels and walk tall! Look at the model on the right, she is wearing a vibrant red babydoll dress with high heels and proper make up you cannot say that she looks pregnant, she just looks stunning!
Layers of sheer chiffon with an embroidered structured bodice. Lightly padded bust, corset lace-up back, fully lined.
How to Wear a Babydoll Dress If You Are 40+
- If you are over 40 I would recommend you wear babydoll dresses on darker shades and heavier fabrics
- Another tip for the over 40 group age is to wear your babydoll dress with long leggings as they will create a more mature appearance.
Looks to Copy: The Sequined Balenciaga Babydoll Dress
Looks To Copy: Empire Waist Babydoll Plaid Dress
Proenza Schouler Graphic Silk Babydoll Dress
Baby Doll Dresses
In 1956 the movie Baby Doll starring Carroll Baker gave origin to the popularity of the "baby doll" nightgown, the costume worn by Baker's childlike sensual character in the film. Although the film was heavily censored and banned in some countries, the baby doll style gained force and more than 50 years later it is still fashionable.
With the years, the baby doll has made a jump from the bedroom to the high street where women of all shapes enjoy the freedom of wearing a baby doll dress.
High heels Always Add Glamour To A Baby Doll Dress
Everybody Says That Babydoll Dresses Make You Look Pregnant, So They Are The Perfect Thing To Wear When You Actually Are Pregnant
Why Wear A Baby-Doll Dress?
The baby doll dress keeps coming back over the years because it is very "forgiving". With an empire-waisted dress you don't need to be extremely thin to look good and sexy in a dress. It allows you to show off a nice bust and great legs while skimping over a not-so-toned tummy and hips area.
When you are buying a baby-doll dress to last for a long time, regardless of fashion trends, go for a long wearing fabric like wool or silk. Regarding the shape, an A-line dress or a trapeze babydoll dress is also more flattering for most women. Avoid the extremely voluminous baby-doll dresses as they make most women look pregnant.
A babydoll dress is perfect for everyday use and adding some accessories it is a perfect option for an after work drink.
Looks to avoid: "too sweet"
Looks to avoid: "Too short"
Baby Doll Dress Horrors To Avoid.
As much as you like the baby doll style please do not fall into the trap that the shorter you wear it the taller you will look. It is true that a short dress will make your legs look longer, but TOO short will only make you look "tarty". The shorter styles are only suitable for young girls. If you are over 30, a hemline just a few inches above the knee is more flattering.
Another thing to avoid is lace trim. A Babydoll dress with a lace trim looks too much like a nightgown!
Keep Accessories to a Minimun
© 2008 Wendy Iturrizaga