- Fashion and Beauty
The Status Handbag and the Modern Woman a Love Love Relationship
Women and Bags
The disco queens from Essex are famous for dancing in circles around them, ladies notoriously congregate in wash rooms clutching them. Men obediently sits in expensive boutiques, protecting them, allowing wives, daughters and sweet hearts time and a free hand to sort through mountains of glad rags.
Little girls play house carrying them, Maggie Thatcher, 'the iron lady' would never leave home without one. Hillary Clinton admits a fetish for them. Old ladies are known to beat attackers about the head with them, Sex in the city wowed us with them. Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Dior, and Versace continue to dazzle us with them. These branded accessories are so sort after by the female population, not only do the designers and manufacturers make millions each year, but the fakers also do a roaring trade in replicas.
Yes my friends, we are talking bags... big bag, small bag, pretty bags, ugly bags, saucy bags, shoulder bag, cross body bag, travel bags, purses, and of course, almost as a rite of passage, the every girl must have one, yes! the designer fashion bags.
What is it about women and their bags? .... generations of men are known to struggle with this question, they shake their heads, bless em!!.. 'why don't women just carry their shit in pockets like men do?' they asked bewildered.
But men just don't get it. We don't feel complete without our bags, most women without their hand bags are like ex-smokers who no longer know what to do with their hands, women without a bag feel equally lost, especially in social settings. The handbag has become a virtual extension of most women, second only to the other great extension of the 21st century, the omnipresence iphone?
Handbags and purses
- What's in a Woman's purse? the purse was originally a small bag for holding coins. If we look further back, we'll see that purses and hand bags were used by the early peasants from rural societies, they used small bags to carry seeds, bags were also used to carry religious items and medicine. In the 15th century, a purse was a gift traditionally given to a bride from her groom. The bag would be elaborately embroidered illustrating a love story. Romance, it would seem, was alive and kicking. African priests are known to carry beaded bags, and even the Bible tells us that Judas Iscariot wore a purse. However, more importantly, where else would a rich celeb carry her precious Chihuahua?
- More uses for bags and purses; handbags and purses often serves as a crutch or security blanket for the modern woman. For some, it is something solid to hold on to in uncomfortable situations. The clutch or purse, can easily slip under the arm, it can be held casually by the side, or make an effective barrier between ourselves and those we wish to give the no go signal, 'keep your distance.' The purse or evening bag is small enough not to be too intrusive but large enough to keep our most important repair kit handy, after all , a girl can never tell when she is going to need a little extra ammunition.
- Make a statement; the bag we carry can makes a strong status or fashion statement, a woman's bag says a lot about her, the obvious is that she need to carry her personal stuff. But the bag tell us about her sense of taste and style, in some cases a sense of humor. it can tell where a woman fits into society, and a little about her economic status. Some women just want a bag that goes with everything, they are not particularly concerned with the social implications. But there are still others who want a bag for every mood and are willing to pay a lot of money to get them.
- Handbags a psychological war fare; A woman's handbag can be used to intimidate. Many men are said to be hen pecked, tip toeing behind the lady wife, holding tightly to the dreaded handbag. The same goes for the brow beaten put upon, long suffering personal assistants, following the vengeful powerful lady boss who uses the handbag to demean and demoralize.
- Ladies bags and purses a tactical weapon; It is said that when the iron lady ran Britain, her handbags was often seen as a ticking time bomb that can make grown men tremble. Mrs T's ministers lived in fear of the handbag, never knowing what she will pull out of it next. The British Prime Minister would often place her hand bag strategically on the table, rather like a chess master pondering the next move.
- A Personal secret space; a woman's handbag enables her to be ready for all eventualities, from a spare pair of stockings and a change of knickers, to pepper spray or something more deadly. Handbags are not just a handy carrier for the lippy and powder, it is also somewhere to drop the diamond earrings, in an emergency, when we finally succumb to a little alcohol induced ear nibbling, yep, you know what I'm talking about... when the girl just wanna have fun, but need to keep the rocks safe. The ladies hand bag also provides us with somewhere to keep the plastic. Imagine, right there, in the store window is the perfect Prada bag, last day of the sales, bags now reduced to half price, your dream bag is sitting there bidding you to come take it home. But no credit card... what a nightmare, well you get the drift.
The modern woman is very much attached to her bags, be it over the shoulder, hand held, or backpack, drawstring, envelope, tote or hobo. But is this bag thing a modern phenomena? Well no, not really, bags were originally made of leaves and wood, and get this.... Men were the first handbag carrier, even boys need somewhere other than pockets to carry their shit.