Best Buys for Beauty on a Budget
Look fabulous with these picks for best buys.
Deep down, we all know that to look like a million bucks, you don’t really have to spend a million bucks. But more often than not it feels that way, especially when you’re strolling through a department store and you see it – the latest “must-have” beauty product – with a triple-digit price tag. Resist the urge; there’s no need to break the bank to look beautiful.
- L’Oreal ReNoviste Anti-Aging Glycolic Peel Kit is a three-step 10 percent glycolic acid peel to renew and gently exfoliate skin at home for a more radiant, healthier complexion. I am a huge fan of gentle peels. They do amazing things for the skin, for everyone from those with acne to those with fine lines.
Gentle home peels do amazing things for the skin.
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Lip Enhancer conditions your lips with a moisture-rich soy extract. I recommend this for aging lips and anyone whose lips need extra hydration. It also brings out lips’ natural color.
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser can be used on nearly any skin type. It won’t irritate sensitive skin and it’s non-drying, making it perfect for anyone who’s using skin-sloughing retinols or harsh topical acne cream/lotions. This is the gold standard of gentle cleansers. It’s hypoallergenic, a true classic.
- Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer with tinted and untinted options, is perfect to use under makeup. I recommend this sunscreen widely because everyone needs to wear one, and this is lightweight and typically won’t clog pores.
Reading labels can help you pick out the best bargains for your skin.
- Maybelline New York Expert Wear Eyeshadow. This collection has a great range of colors. All the shades blend well and have a silky feel.
- L’Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Makeup comes in an extensive palette of warm, cool and neutral shades, which make it possible for everyone to find a hue that matches her skin tone.
- Creative Nail Design nail polish is one of my favorite lines because of its array of more than 115 colors – from classic reds and neutrals to seasonal collections that are fun and trendy.
- Almay Nearly Nake Touch-Pad Liquid Blush. All the shades are neutral, so they can work for almost anyone. And because they build color so well, you can go from a sheer glow to a bright flush with just one product.
- Revlon Emery Boards. These are inexpensive enough that you can throw them away each time you use one. That way you always know you’re using a clean and sanitary board.
- Nailtiques Oil Therapy is a blend of natural oils, including sweet almond, grapeseed, sunflower and avocado oils. Plus it’s enriched with vitamins A, C, D and E. when you’re looking for a nail oil, you want to pick something with good-for-you-ingredients, such as vitamins and natural oils, that will help the skin hold in moisture.
- L’Oreal VIVE Color-Care Shampoo has filters to help protect hair from the sun’s color-fading rays. An added bonus is the absence of glycerin, which is a hydrator, but is also one of the most common color-fading culprits.
- Garnier Fructis Long & Strong Anti-Split Ends Leave-In Treatment is a gel cream that’s a new addition to a hair-care line that I love. The line has products full of good-for-the-hair ingredients, such as fruit-based oils.
- John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum tames hair and coats it to make it silky and shiny with just a couple of drops. These products are very popular because everyone wants sleek, straight hair.
Products with botanical ingredients can give you a more authentic home-spa experience.
- Te Tao Stress-Release Bath Salts dissolve in the bath to release the relaxing scent of lotus and fill the water with skin-softening green tea and vitamins B5 and E. I love this line for its fabulous scents.
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Foaming Bath is rich in colloidal oatmeal and natural oat oil. Oatmeal is a very effective and old-fashioned ingredient for softening the skin.
- Johnson’s SoftLotion 24-Hour Moisturizer is formulated with glycerin to hold in moisture and leave skin soft for hours. This moisturizer has a light scent and really is gentle. It soaks in right away and leaves skin feeling silky.
9 Bargain Buys
Here are some great deals that you can’t live without.
- CoverGirl Wetslicks are high-shine lip glosses that make lips feel smooth and hydrated. A variety of warm, cool and neutral shades make it easy to find one that will work for you.
- Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Crème contains licochalcone, a soothing extract of licorice, and works for rosacea sufferers or anyone with extremely sensitive skin.
- Calgon Age Defense Foaming Bath contains vitamins A and C, ginseng and white-tea extract to nourish skin and fight skin-aging free radicals while you’re in the tub.
- Pantene Pro-V Blonde, Brunette and Red Expressions shampoos and conditioners are formulated with ingredients like chamomile, fennel and wild cherry bark extracts to enhance different hair colors.
- RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream is a gentle retinol formula that helps reduce crow’s feet and wrinkles around the eyes and also helps to smooth skin.
- Rimmel Jelly Gloss is a sheer gloss that comes in five shiny shades with a delicious candy scent.
- VO5 Quick Hold Fast-Drying Hair Spray contains vitamins E, B3 and B5 and a filter to help protect hair from the color-fading effects of the sun.
- Olay Daily Facials Clarity Foaming Cleanser is formulated to treat occasional breakouts and oily skin. Salicylic acid prevents new pimples from forming, while aloe vera, green tea and sage extracts calm skin and keep it from overdrying.
- Shower to Shower Shimmer Effects Body Powder is silky and lightweight and leaves skin with a subtle hint of light-reflecting shine.