- Fashion and Beauty
7 Best Drugstore Shampoos For Oily Hair
Having to deal with oily hair can be so frustrating and annoying. Even if you have had a shower a while a go you can look dirty and sloppy, because of greasy hair.
To combat the grease and oiliness, it’s important to put the right stuff in your hair.
Take a look at some of these inexpensive shampoos which have been specially formulated for different types of oily hair.
1.L’Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
Average price=4$ for 12oz bottle
Having an oily scalp but dry ends is an odd combination. It becomes so challenging to find the right shampoo. If you use a moisturizing shampoo for such hair the ends become soft and smooth but roots become greasy too soon. And if you use a deep cleansing shampoo it might remove the grease but makes the ends a dry tangled mess.
L’Oréal Paris Laboratories have combined 3 REFINED CLAYS to create a shampoo that would suit such hair type. L’Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Clay Shampoo is a perfect balance between moisturizing and cleansing.It cares for your hair at both ends.
Comes in the sturdy plastic packaging, the shampoo is just of the right consistency neither too watery nor too thick. This makes it easy to handle in shower and it also lathers very well.
The pre shampoo clay mask and the hydrating conditioner in this line are great too. Use all three as directed on the packaging for best results. The shampoo and conditioner have almost the same type of packaging so while washing your hair make sure you have selected the right one.
This shampoo is definitely worth a try, especially at such an affordable price.
- Very affordable
- Lathers well
- Hydrates the ends while removing grease from roots.
- The scent is nice, clean and mild.
- Extends the duration between washes.
- Silicone free.
- Gentle enough to be used frequently.
- Matching conditioner does not make hair oily
- A little goes a long way.
- Does not work well on those who have thin hair.
- If you are prone to allergies use it cautiously.
- Contains sulfates
- L’Oréal’s claim of ‘’ 48hr purified roots + hydrated ends’’ may not hold true for those with very oily hair.
2.Desert Essence Organics Hair Care Shampoo for Oily Hair
Average Price=12$ for 8 oz.
If your hair is full of grease and product build up, and you think you cannot afford a professional to clean it, give this product a shot. You will not regret it. All the junk from products and dry shampoos will be effectively washed out.
Desert Essence Organics Hair Care Shampoo contains powerful natural ingredients like Lemon tea tree oil and lemon peel extract, which effectively remove oil and grease build up and help keep the scalp dry. It’s other natural ingredients like organic maca root extracts strengthens hair and prevents it from falling out. Yucca Brevifolia Root Extract regulates the sebum secretion in oily scalp and improves overall health of hair.
Desert Essence Organics Hair Care Shampoo is an effective product to deep cleanse oily hair.
- Contains powerful natural ingredients that effectively dissolve excess oil.
- Sulfate free, paraben free and silicone free.
- One of its ingredients, the lemon tea tree oil, has effective anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Regulates oil secretions in the scalp and improves the overall health of hair.
- An excellent natural deep cleansing shampoo that leaves Hair squeaky clean.
- Readily available online and at drugstores.
- Wheat & gluten free! 100% Vegan.
- Works well, but needs more lathering power.
- Strong lemon scent. If you are sensitive to scents order the fragrance free version.
- Not for daily use .Containing many natural ingredients does not automatically make it an ideal product for daily use. There are natural products out there that would strip wallpaper so be careful. It’s a deep cleansing shampoo if you wash your hair everyday with it might over dry your hair. Make sure to follow up with a good conditioner, every time you wash your hair with this shampoo.
- The packaging is not user friendly. It’s challenging to get the product out of the small opening.
3.Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo
Average Price=8 oz bottle for 10$,16 oz bottle for 16$
If you want an all-natural shampoo for your oily hair, Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo is an excellent product to try. Rich in vitamins, antioxidants and powerful plant extracts this shampoo is not only effective at removing oil buildup but is also very nourishing. Its unique botanical formula balances the oil production in your skin leaving you with clean scalp and silky tresses that appear weightless. Maple Holistics claims that, as you continue to use this product you hair condition will improve and the interval between the washes will extend.
Whether you have greasy scalp but dry hair or greasy and itchy scalp with dandruff this shampoo can help. Being a sulfate free shampoo it’s also very gentle to colored hair.
Follow the directions well that come with product. You do not need a conditioner with this shampoo but if you want to use, silk 18 Natural hair conditioner by Maple Holistics works great with this shampoo, just use it over your lower ends.
You may not able to find this shampoo in your local drugstore but it’s reasonably priced and an excellent product for oily hair. It’s available on Maple Holistics website and amazon. The customer service behind this product is very efficient and helpful. You will not have to face any issue while buying it online.
- Gentle enough to be used every other day.
- Lathers decently compared to other sulfate free shampoos.
- Natural smell, you can tell that there are not chemicals in it
- Good for greasy scalp with dry ends.
- Good for greasy scalp with dandruff.
- Paraben free, silicon free and sulfate free.
- Available for bulk purchase.
- Helps with itchy scalp.
- Excellent customer service.
- Helps with frizz
- It’s very concentrated, a little goes a long way. A bottle will last you about 5 months.
- Not available in stores, you have to order online.
- If you are sensitive to plant extracts or products, this shampoo will make your scalp itch.
- The scent can be a problem for some.
- The packaging is not good. The shampoo comes in a bottle of firm clear plastic which is very difficult to squeeze to pour out the product.
- The bottle cannot be placed upside down. If that’s a problem for you empty the contents into another bottle.
- In the initial days you might get little bumps on scalp and itching which may go away after a few washes .If the itchiness continues stop using this shampoo.
4.Organix Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
Average price=11$ for 13 oz bottle.
Is your hair limp, lifeless and also oily? Finding a shampoo for such hair can be challenging.
Organix Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo instantly gives an appearance of thicker and fuller hair while effectively removing oil and grease from your hair. A healthy blend of powerful ProVitamin B7 biotin, collagen and hydrolyzed wheat protein. ProVitamin B7 biotin infuses nutrients into the hair strandse, collagen adds volume and wheat protein strengthens the hair, preventing further hair fall.
Also this thickening shampoo is free of sulfates, parabens and alcohol making sure that there’s no further damage to limp, lifeless hair. This shampoo will bring new life and fullness to your hair.
Immerse your skinny looking strands in this super volumizing shampoo to create fuller looking, shiny hair.
- The scent is divine
- Effectively removes build up and leaves hair feeling fresh
- Biotin and wheat proteins help to nourish and rebuild damaged hair.
- Sulfate free
- Cleanses hair without stripping it.
- Gives an appearance of fuller hair.
- Paraben free
- Alcohol free.
- Cruelty free
- Some may not like the sugary scent
- The biotin may cause break outs in some people.
- Packaging is bulky without any pump. The bottle has been designed in such a way that it’s difficult to hold in shower.
- For a drugstore brand it’s a bit pricier but definitely still affordable.
- The packaging does not allow you to store it upside down and it’s also not travel friendly.
- You have to use a lot of shampoo at once to make it lather well.
5.Herbal Essences Bio renew Cucumber & Green Tea Sheer Moisture Shampoo
Average Price=6$ for 13.5 oz bottle
A very good product for those who have dull, lifeless and oily hair.
Enriched with cucumber, green tea, sea kelp , and aloe Herbal Essences Biorenew Cucumber & Green Tea Sheer Moisture Shampoo delivers lightweight conditioning to bring your thin lifeless hair back to life without making it greasy. Herbal essence claims that the shampoo has been specially formulated to fight environmental factors, free radicals and impurities that dull hair over time. Just after 21 days of use, Herbal Essence Bio renew shampoo brings your hair back to life.
- Cleanses hair without stripping it.
- Good for thin oily hair.
- No overpowering long lasting scent.
- Rich in antioxidants and hair nourishing ingredients.
- silicone-free conditioning technology.
- The shampoo is crystal clear without any color.
- Paraben free.
- Gluten free.
- The scent is very light and it quickly fades away. Those who want their shampoo to smell fresh and green might find it disappointing.
- A good shampoo for oily hair but this should be just one step in fighting the dullness in your hair. You have to take additional step to rejuvenate your hair. Reduce the use of harsh chemicals and styling products. There are so many youtube videos which teach you how to make beautiful hair styles without using harsh chemicals and products.
- Using it daily might dry or damage your hair.
6.Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
Average price=10$ for 11oz bottle.
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo is a natural alternative to dandruff shampoos for oily hair. It Deep-cleanses with organic Matcha green tea and ginseng extract- to remove all the product build up that may cause dandruff in some people. As a clarifying shampoo it also performs quite well. It so effectively cleanses your hair that you should use it only once a week. It deep cleanses your hair and hair last cleaner for longer periods.
It’s unlikely to cause any damage to your hair if you use it infrequently. Free from toxic and carcinogenic ingredients, it’s all ingredients are natural. You can read every ingredient’s nonscientific name on the product.
The consistency of this shampoo is thin and watery which might make it hard to lather well if you are not careful. To properly apply this shampoo, pour quarter sized amount in your palm. Dip the fingers of your other hand into the product and apply it to the top of your head. Dip again to apply it to the sides or back of your head. Thus apply the shampoo to all over your head. Massage well to make sure it gets to your scalp. Then put your head under running water very briefly so that the product does not rinse out completely and continue to massage, this way it will lather up really well. Rinse now and your hair will feel so clean.
- Cruelty free.
- Nice all-natural clarifying shampoo
- Available at Walmart and online.
- Lathers up well for a natural shampoo
- Phthalate free.
- A natural alternative to dandruff shampoos for oily hair.
- Sulfate free.
- Suitable for those who have oily hair and use a lot of styling products.
- Paraben free and gluten free
- Thin, runny formula makes it hard to get the right amount out of the bottle. Pour it into an old shampoo bottle which has a pump.
- Some may not like the earthy herbal smell. The smell goes away after you rinse your hair
- Not suitable for daily use.Should be used weekly or at least after 3-4 days. Being natural does not make it suitable for daily use, It’s a clarifying shampoo.
- Do follow up with a good conditioner, as it might make your hair feel very dry.
7.Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture Shampoo, for Normal to Oily hair
Average price=10$ for 13 oz bottle
Those with thin oily hair know that it does not take much to weigh it down.
Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture Shampoo, for Normal to Oily hair has been designed to effectively remove grease and oil from hair without weighing it down. Enriched with deep sea minerals and pure concentrated elastin protein, this shampoo does not dry out your scalp but nourishes every strand and gives your hair the body you desire. You will feel the softness and difference even when you are rinsing your hair.
Nexxus hydra-light weightless shampoo does not leave any nasty residue or build up in your hair so that the hair feels weightless, bouncy and very clean.
It has an ocean or beach scent that’s very refreshing. If you are not a fan of fruity scents you will love its fragrance.
Nexxus is a salon brand but you can find this shampoo and the matching conditioner at your local Walmart and Walgreen. It’s a high quality salon shampoo available at drugstores at a very reasonable price.
- There is just enough moisture in this shampoo that it doesn't weigh down your hair and doesn't make your scalp oily.
- Available at Walgreen, Walmart and amazon.
- Lathers really well.
- Good for colored hair.
- A nice volumizing shampoo
- Good for oily hair especially thin oily hair.
- Contains a hydrating polymer to condition and strengthen your hair.
- Cleanses hair without stripping it.
- Safe enough to be used 3-4 times a week.
- Fresh beachy scent.
- The bottle does not come with a pump .The liquid is runny in consistency so if you are not careful you can easily use too much. Transfer the contents into another empty bottle with a pump.
- The smell can be overpowering for those who are sensitive to strong scents.
- isothiazolinone,one of its ingredients, may cause allergy in some people.
- The shampoo and conditioner bottles look exactly the same. It's hard to tell them apart in the shower without reading the bottle.
If you know any inexpensive shampoo that is good for oily hair,please mention in the comments section.