- Fashion and Beauty»
- Dental Hygiene & Cosmetic Dentistry
Best Homemade Mouthwash Recipes
Best Mouthwash Option ~
Are you sick and tired of forking out for expensive mouthwash brands all claiming to be the best mouthwash and most effective?
On top of that, your mouth is left feeling drier after the temporary minty and clean taste has disappeared into oblivion.
The benefits to a homemade mouthwash far outweigh the commercial brands in this writer’s opinion and go far deeper than the cost of a bottle on the supermarket shelf.
Oral hygiene is vital to us all in order to maintain healthy teeth and gums and mouthwash has earned its place along with toothpaste and flossing for being an essential step in our daily dental routine.
Making Mouthwash is Easy
over 300 commercial brands of mouthwash scientifically rated. See if your favorite is here, the results may surprise you.
Benefits to Homemade Mouthwash ~
Ingredients – You control exactly how many go into your recipe. Unlike commercial brands, you do need to have 20+ ingredients with unpronounceable names.
For a list of great familiar ingredients check out my all natural mouthwash ingredients which lists over 30 kitchen classics and their excellent mouthwash benefits. Commercial brands often include preservatives, artificial dyes and sweeteners.
Synthetic fragrance and unknown chemicals may be used in store bought mouthwash, more great reasons to make your own and avoid any harmful effects they could cause.
Quality Control – you decide on the quality of ingredients that go into your recipe. Mouthwash brands may use ingredients of an unknown quality in a bid to be competitively priced.
Alcohol Content – Most brands of quality will contain alcohol and if this is a concern for you, homemade recipes gives you the option of leaving it out and having an alcohol free mouthwash.
Alcohol is often the cause of bad breath and for drying out the mouth. It is also the cause of much research and debate over its link to oral cancer. Alcohol free is a great option for making mouthwash for kids.
Cost Effective – The savings are real and noticeable with homemade options.The ingredients and the quality will make it a variable but it will still be a more inexpensive choice with great oral hygiene benefits.
Boiling, Steeping and Straining
How to Make Mouthwash ~
There are three ways to make mouthwash so let’s take a look at them:
1 Mixing Ingredients
This method works perfectly for essential oil recipes. Put all the ingredients into your bottle and shake well. Before each use, give your mouthwash a good shake to mix up the oils.
2 Boiling / Infusing Ingredients
Bring water to the boil and add all your herbs. Allow to infuse for 20-30 minutes. Strain, cool and bottle up.
3 Steeping Ingredients
Place all your herbs in your bottle and pour over boiling water. Allow to cool and pop on the lid. Leave overnight and strain. If you wish, you may leave the mouthwash for up to a week before straining which will produce excellent results. Remember to give a good shake daily.
homemade oral hygiene
Basic Rules to Making Mouthwash ~
- Mouthwash recipes contain water but do not use tap water as it often contains mercury, chlorine and nitrates. Chromium-6, a known carcinogen (cancer causing agent) may also be present in tap water. Use mineral, bottled, distilled or filtered water instead.
- Dried or fresh herbs generally need a heat source to bring out their qualities so use the boiling or steeping method way.
- Non herbal ingredients such as baking soda, salt and glycerine do not need heat so just need mixing.
- Essential oil recipes do not need heat so use the mixing method for them.
Best Mouthwash Recipes ~
- These recipes are in my opinion the best of the bunch. I have another 3 recipes shown on Easy Homemade Mouthwash which includes the benefits of mouthwash and further mouthwash information.
- The recipes below have a shelf life of approximately a month but should you find your solution smells rancid or “off” discard immediately and whip up a new batch!
- All of them require a mouthwash bottle or jar with a tight fitting lid. Recycle an old one or buy an inexpensive container that is suitable. Thoroughly clean and sterilize before use.
- Remember to check out the full list of ingredients that may be used and feel free to experiment in your own potions. Don’t forget to make up your own mouthwash names as I did for a bit of fun.
- Recipes may be easily doubled up to make larger batches.
- To use, take 2-3 teaspoons and swirl around the mouth, do not swallow any of these recipes.
- N.B Each of these recipes will refer to one of the three ways to make mouthwash described above.
Honeylicious Mint Mouthwash
1 cup water
1tsp organic honey
1 tsp lemon juice
2 drops spearmint essential oil
2 drops peppermint essential oil
1 drop anise seed oil
Liquorice Allsorts Mouthwash
(Boil or Steep Ingredients)
2 ½ cups water
1 tsp anise seeds
1 tsp mint leaves
1 tsp rosemary leaves
Soda Pop Mouthwash
1 cup water
1 tsp baking soda
4-5 drops peppermint essential oil
4-5 drops tea tree essential oil
Which mouthwash recipe appeals to you?
Tutti Frutti Mouthwash
¾ cup water
¼ cup vodka (optional)
6 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops bergamot essential oil
1 tsp aloe vera gel
Easy Peasy Mouthwash
(Boil or Steep Ingredients)
2 cups water
4 rosemary sprigs or
2 tsp dried rosemary
Bacteria Busting Mouthwash
1 cup water
2 tsp baking soda
2 drops lemon essential o
2 drops cinnamon essential oil
4 drops tea tree essential oil
½ tsp myrrh essential oil (or tincture)
1 pinch of stevia
Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash
1 cup water
1 cup hydrogen peroxide
- Only make this as required, and discard any left over.
- Always use at least a 50% ratio with water, never alone.
- Always spit out completely.
- May cause temporary foaming, which is normal.
- Only use once per day never more.
- Has a chalky taste which does not last.
by Rajan Jolly
- The Natural Sweetener Stevia Plant And Its Health Benefits
The leaves of the stevia plant are a natural sweetener. The stevia leaf extracts, stevioside and rebaudioside are many times sweeter than sugar and far safer. Learn about the health benefits of stevia...
More Homemade Recipes ~
- Homemade Sensual Solid Perfume Recipe For Women
Making your own sensual solid perfume is easily accomplished and will cost a fraction of designer perfumes. Homemade perfume with essential oils is an ideal signature fragrance recipe idea for women.
- Homemade Eau de Cologne For Men
Refreshing Eau de Cologne is easy to make at home with natural essential oils. Here I have 3 recipes for men that are inspired by the very first homemade Cologne so read on for recipes, tips and more!
- Homemade Lemon and Lime Hand Scrub
This lemon and lime hand scrub is one homemade skin essential suited for men and women. Often neglected our hands will be rejuvenated into being smooth and soft with sugar, olive oil, lemon and lime.
- Easy Homemade Hand Cream Recipe
Ever thought of making your own lavender hand cream? Chemical free, all natural hand cream recipe will give you a wonderful luxurious hand treat that leaves your hands soft, supple and moisturized.
- Homemade Cucumber Face Wash Recipe
A homemade cucumber face wash is easy to make and much more beneficial to your skin than store bought varieties. Here is a face wash recipe that is cost effective, chemical free and suitable for all ages, sexes and skin types thanks to the wonderful
- Homemade Eye Cream With Coconut Oil and Vitamin E
Making a homemade eye cream that is beneficial to the delicate skin around the eye is made easy here with 2 ingredients. Coconut Oil and Vitamin E are packed with reasons to use in an eye cream recipe.
"Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions"
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs