7 Best Sulfate Free, Clarifying Shampoos
You do not have to use harsh chemicals to thoroughly clean your hair.
Scroll through this page and you will find the gentlest clarifying shampoos and deep cleansers.
Very suitable for those who develop irritation to SLS products, these shampoos are free of not only sodium lauryl sulfate but also its derivatives (Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Olefin Sulfonate, sodium myreth sulfate, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate,Sodium laureth sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate).
That’s not all,these shampoos are also free of Parabens!
Acure Organics Clarifying Shampoo, Lemon grass+Argan stem cell
Average Price=15$ for 8 oz.
Acure Organics Clarifying shampoo,Lemon grass+Argan stem cell is an all-natural shampoo. It’s very suitable for those who develop allergies to chemicals and are looking for products with very less toxic ingredients in them.
Completely free of sulfates, it uses lemongrass to cleanse and clarify hair. It’s also rich in argan oil and organic avocado oil which strengthens the roots and conditions the hair, leaving you with clean, shiny and silky locks.
As it is free of harsh surfactants, it’s a very suitable clarifying shampoo for color treated hair.
Acure Organics claims that their blond customers find that it tones down brassiness promoting beautiful platinum highlights. Acure's packaging uses soy based inks and at least 70% recycled material.
The minty scent smells refreshing and clean. The shampoo gives a slight tingling sensation on your scalp when you apply it which feels energizing and rejuvenating during your shower!
Acure Organics Clarifying Shampoo Lemon grass+Argan stem cell is a very suitable Clarifying shampoo for normal to dry hair.
- For a sulfate free shampoo it lathers well.
- Hydrates hair well.
- Smells like mint.
- Eco friendly product.
- Cleanses hair very well and rinses clean.
- Silicone free.
- Gives hair nice body.
- Cruelty free and paraben free.
- Tames frizz.
- Gluten free shampoo.
- It is rated very highly on the EWG website as containing no harmful chemicals.
- The price is reasonable for an all-natural shampoo.
- Those with very oily hair may not find it suitable.
- Strong scent. But the scent fades once rinsed thoroughly.
- Acure Organics describe this as an everyday shampoo.But it’s a clarifying shampoo, not suitable for daily use.
- It hydrates well but if your hair is dry, you may still need a conditioner with this.
- The packaging can be hard to open with wet hands in shower. The cap cracks easily. Once cracked the product leaks out and the sharp edges on the cracked, cheap plastic can cut you.
- If you have a lot of product build up you might need a stronger clarifying shampoo that lathers really well.
Living Proof Full Shampoo
Average Price=25$ for 8 oz.
If you are looking for a sulfate free, gentle, clarifying shampoo that not only thoroughly cleanses your hair but also gives you nice volume, look no further!
Living Proof Full Shampoo effectively removes dirt, grease and product build up without leaving your hair stripped or greasy .It’s a very gentle, yet a powerful cleansing product. It suits most hair type but its best for fine hair or color treated hair.
Based on technology from MIT’s laboratories, Living proof full shampoo deposits tiny thickening dots on hair that create space between each hair strand. Thus fine hair looks and feels noticeably fuller. Living proof is not just another beauty brands but the company is founded by scientists and the products are based on their scientific research and patented ingredients.
Use the shampoo, conditioner, and the mousse and you will find that your hair has 4 times the volume it naturally has.
For fine haird ladies ,living proof full shampoo is a life saver!
- Lathers well.
- Gives hair nice volume.
- Color safe shampoo.
- This pairs really well with other Living Proof volumizing products like Full Thickening Cream and Full Dry Volume Blast hair spray.
- Leaves hair shiny and smooth.
- Paraben free.
- Repels dirt and oil to keep hair cleaner for longer periods.
- A very suitable shampoo for fine hair.
- Sulfate-free, silicone free and oil-free.
- Safe for color and chemically treated hair.
- Leaves hair super clean.
- Very expensive.
- Heavily scented and the scent may linger.
- It becomes hard to squeeze out the product after just a few uses. The bottle collapses on itself and the product gets trapped inside.
- Might leave hair a little dry so do not forget to use a conditioner.
- Not suitable for daily use; it’s expensive and frequent washing might dry out your hair.
- It does a thorough job of removing grease and dirt so it may not be the best for very dry or damaged hair.
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo
Average Price=11$ for 8.5 oz.
A clarifying shampoo that will not only remove, grease, dirt and product build up but also help alleviate dry flaky scalp.
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo is rich in tea tree oil which is very effective at keeping dandruff at bay and regulating scalp sebum secretion levels. Along with the peppermint oil, rosemary and eucalyptus Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo will soothe your itchy scalp and leave you with clean ,silky strands.
The shampoo is free of sulfates and parabens, thus it’s very gentle on color treated hair. It might not lather much when you first apply it. But for the second time when most of the dirt has been removed it will be foamy and lather very well.
The scent is delightful and refreshing and only lasts till you wash it out. Since it has peppermint in it which cause a cooling sensation on the scalp, Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo feels really refreshing on the hot summer days.
So good, it tingles!
- Organic tea tree botanicals alleviate dry flaky scalp.
- Stimulates scalp circulation for refreshed feel.
- Reasonably priced.
- Sulfate free.
- Paraben free.
- No harsh ingredients
- Leaves hair very clean.
- For a sulfate free shampoo, it lathers and cleanses very well.
- No synthetic fragrance.
- Gentle enough to be used for color treated hair.
- Cruelty free.
- Safe to use after Brazilian blow out.
- The texture is a bit liquidy and the opening pours so it can be easy to get too much.
- It has menthol and Tea Tree scent and this has no additives to sweeten it.But the scent doesn't linger.
- Not very moisturizing to hair. If you have dry or brittle hair follow with a heavier conditioner or use a leave in conditioner.
- The botanical ingredients may cause an allergic reaction in some people.
- The top lid breaks off easily or doesn't close properly sometimes.The packaging is an awkward rectangle shape. It’s hard to get out the product with the lid in the way.
Carol's Daughter Lisa's Hair Elixir Clarifying Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Average Price=19$ for 8.5 oz.
Lisa's Hair Elixir Clarifying Sulfate-Free Shampoo is an incredibly gentle, detoxifying shampoo that thoroughly removes product build up and gives clean healthy environment for your hair follicles to grow. Instead of sulfates, it uses coconut derived surfactants to fully cleanse hair without stripping away your natural moisture or washing your hair color down the drain.The elixir blend which includes sage,eucalyptus and lemon oils deeply nourishes the hair and scalp. Your hair become softer, smoother and tangle free.
Lisa’s Hair Elixir collection includes a shampoo, a conditioner, a restorative oil and spray.
Lisa's Hair Elixir 7-in-1 Complete Conditioner is thick and deeply hydrating.It’s rich in hair nourishing ingredients like caffeine, rosemary oil, omega6 and 9, proteins, botanical oils and vitamins. It gives a tingling sensation to scalp which is very soothing and leaves hair soft and styling easier. Even though it’s deeply moisturizing, it doesn't weigh hair down and does not leave any residue behind.
Lisa’s Hair Elixir Fortifying Scalp Spray helps to lift dead skin off of the scalp. It’s an excellent product for a prewash routine because it starts the process of lifting the grease and residue off your scalp so it pairs well with the shampoo.
- Color safe shampoo
- Free of sulfates.
- Contains eucalyptus oil, sage oil, lemon oil, proteins and vitamins.
- This shampoo is strong enough to remove any product buildup yet is gentle enough to protect hair color.
- Good for curly hair.
- Free of petroleum and mineral oil
- No artificial colors
- Paraben free
- Cruelty free.
- Bottle is small for the price.
- Strong medicinal scent and it will linger on your hair into the next day.
- Can be drying.
Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Average Price=10$ for 13 oz.
If there’s a lot of product buildup in your hair and you think you need a deeeep cleanse this is the product for you.
It will remove ALL the grease, dirt and product buildup and cleanse your hair to the point of being stripped. This is why it’s important to deep condition afterwards and use it weekly(if your hair is thick and curly) or monthly(for rest of the type).
It’s a sulfate free deep cleanser so it’s not easy to get it lather up.
To get nice lather, transfer the shampoo to a squeeze tip bottle and divide your hair in sections. Apply this to one section at a time and wet the hair really well. This will help you get good lather.
Rich in Tea Tree Oil and Willow Bark Extract, It’s also good for itchy scalp and dandruff. If you have spent a lot of money trying to soothe your itchy scalp, you should try this one. It’s a natural product that may help and save you from itch and nasty chemicals.
- Eases the dandruff and removes the excess oil.
- Cruelty free
- Calms itchy scalp.
- Paraben free
- Cruelty free
- Sulfate free
- Regulates scalp secretion levels.
- An excellent deep cleanser;removes all the product buildup and grease.
- The scent is quite strong and medicinal but it doesn't linger after rinsing the shampoo out.
- Might wash out color.
- It’s not very moisturizing so it is necessary to follow up with a good conditioner.
- This is a deep cleansing shampoo that should not be used daily or frequently. Use it weekly or bi monthly. Using this product daily will probably cause the oil glands to work over time, making your hair oilier faster.
Not Your Mothers Clean Freak Purifying Shampoo
Average Price=5$ for 8 oz.
It’s hard to find a shampoo that is inexpensive,really sulfate free, cruelty free, cleanses well and also smells nice.
Now you have found it!
Not Your Mothers Clean Freak Shampoo is a perfect middle ground product between no poo options and harsh traditional shampoos that clean too much. Free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones, It will clean your hair but not strip it. It’s a very suitable shampoo to gently wash out product build up or anything that has stuck in your hair. The minty scent is refreshing and pleasant; It will relax and soothe your stressed out nerves.
Comes in a cute plastic squeezable tube that has beautiful green imagery on it.The tube shuts tight with top white cap and there’s no danger of leakage of the product.
The matching conditioner is light but it provides enough hydration to leave hair tangle free. In addition to mint and raspberry extract it also contains quinoa protein which is known to help moisturize and deeply nourish hair.
This is the shampoo that’s good for you and the environment.
- Very affordable.
- The minty "wake me up" type scent is fresh and not overpowering.
- Sulfate free.
- Oily haired ladies will find that it extends duration between washes
- Free of dyes and parabens.
- Good for oily greasy hair.
- Not tested on animals
- Gives hair volume
- Both the shampoo and conditioner are Silicone free.
- It may not lather like some other shampoos out there but It still works and gets your hair very clean.
- It’s easy to use too much of the product because with a shampoo that lathers really well,you know when to stop applying more but with a shampoo that does not lather much it becomes difficult to know the exact amount you need to clean your hair..
- Those with oily hair can use it frequently but for others its once-in-a-while shampoo.
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
Average Price=11$ for 11 oz.
A healthy natural alternative for dandruff shampoos.
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying shampoo is an all-natural shampoo that deeply cleanses and effectively removes product build up that may be causing dandruff. If your dandruff is because of the product build up Aubrey organics Green tea Clarifying shampoo can take care of that.
The shampoo is rich in vitamins and botanical extracts. You have to shake it before you use it to allow everything to mix together well. The scent is a little musky and the color of shampoo is orange brown. It’s a natural product so try to use it within six months.
It is an effective anti-dandruff shampoo. As a clarifying shampoo it also performs well. It cleanses your hair better than many chemical laden shampoos. organic Matcha, green tea and ginseng extract remove all the dirt and grease leaving you with beautiful, shiny clean hair.
- Packaged in a recyclable plastic container.
- Good for oily hair.
- Gluten free.
- Removes product build up, grease and dirt very effectively.
- Paraben free.
- It says it's for oily hair, but as clarifying shampoo it works with any type of hair.
- Oily haired ladies will find that it extends duration between washes.
- Cruelty free
- Phthalate free.
- Helps remove dandruff caused by product build up.
- Runny consistency barely thicker than water .If it was of a bit thicker consistency it would be easier to use it.Pour the contents in a pump bottle
- Contains a small amount of alcohol which might cause allergic reaction in some people.
- Earthy herbal scent.
- Do follow up with a good conditioner, as it might make your hair feel very dry and tangly.
- Should be used weekly or at least after 3-4 days if your hair is oily and greasy. Being natural does not make it suitable for daily use, It’s a clarifying shampoo.