- Fashion and Beauty»
- Women's Fashion & Clothing Styles
Bra Care - How to Extend The Longevity of Your Bras
The other day I couldn't help but noticed a woman with her bra straps peeking out from under her sleeveless top. They were not stylish straps meant to be shown, and their color didn't even match her clothing. What seemed worse than her awkward peek-a-boo bra, however, was the condition of the straps themselves. Although not tattered or filthy-looking, they appeared discolored and slightly stretched out. These are well-worn signs that indicate the bra is not fit for wearing anymore, let alone allowing others to witness parts of its decay. Well, I did feel sorry for the woman. Not all of us can afford to buy new bras all the time. Being pretty budget-challenged myself, I don't go bra shopping very often, either. One smart thing we can do, though, is to take excellent care of our bras in order to extend their longevity. Don't just handle your bras carelessly as if they are kitchen towels, then blame them for making your breasts look weird!
Quick Bra Survey
How often do you shop for bras?
Bra Wash Bags
This nifty bag allows maximum circulation of detergent and water while protecting your bras from damage.
Made with durable mesh material, this lingerie wash bag is ideal for slips, nylons, and any delicate items.
Bra Washing Tips
- Check the care tag on every one of your bras. Some bras are not meant to be washed in a machine.
- If possible, hand wash all your bras (even the ones that are machine-washable) with gentle detergent. According to Jene Luciani, the author of The Bra Book, this can lengthen the life of your bras up to 30%.
- Don't just throw your bras into a washing machine separately. The hooks, bands and underwires can sometimes get damaged even during a gentle cycle. To make sure your bras are well-protected, put them together in a netted garment bag or a casing especially designed for bras, then you can toss the whole thing into your washing machine with no worries.
- Remember to fasten the hooks of your bras before washing them, so that they won't catch on other bras or garments.
- Always set your machine on the gentlest cycle possible and use cold water.
- NEVER dry your bras in a dryer. Simply hang them up on hangers or lay them flat to dry.
- Wash your bras after every use. If you don't want to do that, at least don't wear the same bra many days in a row without washing. Give it a "break" for at least 2 - 3 days before wearing it again. Repeated contact with your sweat and body heat will cause the band and straps to stretch, and ultimately shorten the life of your bra.
Bra Travel Bags
Storing and Packing Your Bras
- The nicest way to store bras is to lay them flat in a drawer, on top of one another, with the cups of one bra nestled inside the cups of the one on top of it. Hanging them up is also a good strategy, but that may not look very neat.
- Don't fold or flatten the cups.
- Don't try to twist or squeeze your bras into a tight space. Doing so can permanently distort the cups and underwires.
- To pack your bras into a really stuffed suitcase, it might be wise to place rolled-up socks or any soft items inside the bra cups to help them retain their perfect shapes.
- The side of the suitcase might be the best place to put your bras. Try not to place anything on top of them, so that the cups won't get crushed.
- If you have expensive bras, consider buying a bra travel bag. It will assure you that your $100 Brulee Boudoir will stay safe and sound while you're traveling.
Signs that Tell You It's Time to Buy New Bras
No matter how gently you handle your bras, they still won't last an eternity. So instead of holding on to your old bras until they fall apart, consider throwing them out when these things happen.
- You have not shed a pound, but your bra feels loose even when you move to the tighter hooks.
- Your bright-colored bra has turned pastel.
- You can't really find a white spot on your supposedly white bra.
- The pokey underwires just won't leave you alone.
- The underwires have gotten so crooked they make it look like your breasts hate each other.
- No matter how many times you adjust your bra straps, they still keep slipping.
- The misshapen cups make you look like a victim of breast implants gone wrong.
More Bra Tips By Me!
- Bra Tips for Small-Busted Women
Bra tips for small-breasted women who want to feel comfortable in their own skin. No padding. No tissue stuffing. No more ill-fitting bras.
- How to Make Your Bra Comfortable with Simple Modifications
Some annoying bra problems can be conveniently fixed with a few little tricks. Don't put up with bra discomfort anymore.