- Fashion and Beauty»
- Costumes & Uniforms
Care and Keeping of Wigs
Wigs are a great way to make a fashion statement. They also can help create the perfect look for a costume or outfit without altering your natural hair. Wigs come in all shapes and colors and some can be a bit of an investment, so you want to keep them in good condition.
The ideal way to keep your wigs is on a mannequin but the average person doesn't have that sort of beauty supply equipment lying around. Even without it you can keep your wig in great condition and looking great with these few tips.
5 Tips for Wigs
- If you don't have a mannequin head to keep your wig on then the best way to keep your wig is to fold it in half along the part and store it in a hat box in a cool, dry place.
- It's easiest to style wigs when they're on a mannequin or someone else's head. If that's not an option, set the wig in place on your head and style it as you would normally do your natural hair.
- There are multiple ways to keep your natural hair in place underneath a wig. For long hair braiding and pining it flat against your head works well. Firm fitting hair nets and swim caps will tuck away all your hair of any length and presses it as flat to your head as possible.
- For styling and de-tangling wig hair use a doll brush. Synthetic wig hair is the same or similar to what is used in most stuffed animals and dolls and works well for straitening your wig without fraying or ruining it.
- After wearing a wig a lot it may need a wash to get it looking glamorous again, especially if you live somewhere humid. For best results gently wash the hair of your wig with special wig shampoo, laundry detergent or just with cold water after brushing. Blot the wig dry with a towel and set to dry on a tall slender object like a can of hairspray. Spray the wig with conditioning spray if you have it and brush the hair again only after it's completely dry.