- Fashion and Beauty
Choose the Best Shampoo for Your Man
Choosing the right shampoo can be a difficult task. There are hundreds of brands, each with countless varieties, ranging from conditioning shampoo to anti-dandruff shampoo. Women are out of luck, but men can narrow down the choices drastically by selecting a shampoo that is made specifically for the male mane. Let's face it ladies...most men could care less about what type of shampoo they use. So show your man some love by buying him a shampoo that will keep his hair healthy. Knowing which shampoo ingredients are healthiest is the first step in selecting the best men's shampoo.
Water is the first ingredient in all shampoos. Detergent is the second ingredient listed on a shampoo label. The remaining ingredients include moisturizers, thickeners, conditioners, fragrances, extracts, dyes, and more. There are six common types of detergents used to make shampoo. Each one has a different effect on your hair. Some are mild while others are harsh.
Common Shampoo Detergents:
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate - harsh
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - slightly less harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate - mild
TEA or MEA Lauryl Sulfate - gentle
TEA or MEA Laureth Sulfate - gentle
All of the detergents listed above are FDA approved, but the mild and gentle detergents are clearly a better choice for your hair. Look for a shampoo that contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It’s a great choice for adult hair. The gentler TEA detergents are found more commonly in shampoos made for children.
So which shampoo is the best for the male mane? Peruse the following list to find your answer. All of these shampoos can be purchased at most drug stores, grocery stores, discount stores, or salons.. Take note of the different types of detergents used in each shampoo as you read.
Buy Men's Shampoo on Amazon
$ave on Shampoo
You don't have to spend a fortune to get shampoo that's gentle. Some of the brands that contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate, such as Loreal Vive Pro, Old Spice, and Adidas, can be purchased at discount stores, such as Wal-Mart and Target. You may also be able to find manufacturer coupons to stretch your dollar even further.
18 Men's Shampoos in Alphabetical Order
- Adidas Hair & Body Shampoo + Body Wash, After Sport (Sodium Laureth)
- American Crew Daily Moisturizing Shampoo (Sodium Laureth)
- Axe Anti-Dandruff Shampoo + Conditioner, Armor (Sodium Laureth)
- Axe Just Clean Shampoo, Primed (Sodium Laureth)
- Clubman Country Club Shampoo Enriched with Panthenol (Sodium Laureth)
- Coast Hair and Body Wash, Pacific Force (Sodium Laureth)
- Gillette 2 in 1 Gentle Clean Shampoo + Body Wash (Sodium Laureth and Sodium Lauryl)
- Gillette Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (Ammonium Laureth and Ammonium Lauryl)
- Gillette Clean + Condition Shampoo (Ammonium Laureth and Ammonium Lauryl)
- L'Oreal Vive Pro Daily Thickening Shampoo For Men (Sodium Laureth)
- Matrix Men Active Control Pyrithione Zinc Antidandruff Shampoo (Sodium Laureth)
- Old Spice High Endurance Hair and Body Wash (Sodium Laureth)
- Pert Plus For Men 2 in 1 Shampoo Plus Conditioner, Daily Dandruff (Ammonium Laureth and Ammonium Lauryl)
- Pert Plus For Men 3 in 1 Shampoo + Conditioner Plus Body Wash (Ammonium Laureth and Ammonium Lauryl)
- Philip B. Anti-Flake Relief Shampoo (Ammonium Lauryl and Ammonium Laureth)
- Redken For Men Go Clean Daily Care Shampoo for Normal to Dry Hair (Sodium Laureth)
- Suave Men 3-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner + Bodywash, Normal (Ammonium Laureth and Ammonium Lauryl)
- Suave Men 2 in 1 Shampoo + Conditioner (Ammonium Laureth and Ammonium Lauryl)
Gentlest and Harshest
Redken, Matrix, L'oreal, Coast, Clubman, Axe, Adidas, and American Crew come in at the top as far as detergents are concerned. Each solely contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which is one of the mildest detergents used in shampoo made for adult hair. Fortunately, most of these brands have reasonable price tags too.
Anti-dandruff and 2-in-1 shampoos made by Gillette, Pert Plus, Philip B., and Suave are the harshest. If you can steer clear of these, do it.
Make a Healthy Change
Whether you're a man who cares about his own hair or a woman who cares about her man's hair, take a look at the ingredients on the shampoo bottle that's in your shower right now. You may be surprised by what you find. If your current shampoo contains harsh detergents, throw it out and try a milder alternative. Be kind to the only head of hair you'll ever have!
Additional Information on Choosing a Shampoo
- All Shampoos Are Not Created Equal: A Comparison of 28 Brands
Are pricey shampoos higher in quality? Find out how to choose the best shampoo for your hair.