- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
DIY Body Scrubs | For Smooth Skin All Over!
Reasons to Exfoliate Your Body
While most people have no problem remembering to cleanse, exfoliate, and care for their facial skin they often neglect to to do the same for their body. Exfoliating your body regularly has many benefits.
1. Exfoliating improves the texture of your skin. It gets rid of the rough outer layer of dead skin cells to reveal the healthier smoother skin underneath.
2. It helps fight body acne. If you struggle with acne on the back, shoulders, and chest then exfoliating is one step towards clearing it up. Pores can become clogged by dead skin cells and cause acne breakouts.
3. Makes skincare products more effective. By removing the outer layer of dead skin moisturizers and toners are able to penetrate the skin deeper and produce better results.
4. Allows for a smoother, closer shave. Without dead skin cells clogging up your razor you're able to get closer to the root of the hair when shaving resulting in a smoother shave.
5. Exfoliating fights signs of aging. As we age our skin starts to lose the ability to renew itself and heal itself. By keeping your skin exfoliated you will help your skin renew itself and fight signs of aging such as wrinkles and dull skin texture.
6. Evens skin tone. By removing dead skin cells you get rid of patchy, dry areas giving your skin a youthful, more even look.
7. If you're someone who uses fake tanners then exfoliating regularly will help your tan go on and fade more evenly.
Invigorating Coffee Body Scrub
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil (coconut, grape seed, sunflower or olive oil will all work)
- 3 tablespoons of new or used coffee grounds
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until you have a good even consistency.
Best used while in the shower. Massage gently into warm, damp skin using circular motions. Use just below the neck all the way to the feet. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Energizing Lemon-Lime Body Scrub
- 1/4 cup room temperature organic coconut oil (While coconut is the best, olive, sunflower, or grape seed will work too.
- 3/4 cup sugar (raw or regular will work for this one)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Make sure the coconut oil is of a creamy consistency and melt SLIGHTLY if needed, as coconut oil hardens when cold.
2. Combine coconut oil, lemon juice, sugar, and lime juice together. Mix very well until you have a creamy pasty consistency.
In the shower, massage gently into damp skin. Be very gentle with this one since citrus juices have the potential to be harsh on skin. Make sure to rinse very well.
Calming Cinnamon Body Scrub
- 1 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup oil (olive or sunflower works well for this)
- a few drops of cinnamon essential oil (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
2. If you chose to use the cinnamon oil as well add this last and mix again.
Massage onto damp skin in small circular motions. Rinse well.
Softening Sea Salt & Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sea salt (table salt will NOT work well for this)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (softened)
1. Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
2. For this one it is less important to follow the measurements exactly. You can experiment and see which combination of more or less works best for your skin type.
Massage into damp skin using gentle, circular motions. Rinse well. Salt can be irritating to skin so do make sure to rinse well.
Soothing Brown Sugar Vanilla Scrub
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oil (olive, grape seed, or sunflower works well)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Massage into damp skin using gentle, circular motions. Rinse well. The vanilla will double as aromatherapy as well as scent your skin.
- Body scrubs and exfoliators should not be used on broken skin or open wounds.
- These body scrubs are best used below the neck and are likely too harsh for facial skin.
- Make sure to massage gently, the sugar does the work for you so there's no need to use a lot of force when exfoliating.
- These exfoliators are best used every few days or a few times a week.