DIY Hair Treatment Recipes Using Avocado and Other Natural Ingredients
I'm guilty of spending (no, make that wasting) lots of money on store-bought hair treatments. After years of highlights and lowlights, let's face it, my hair definitely needs treatment... but at what cost? I recently came to realize that hair treatments don't need to cost an arm and a leg as the store-bought versions. Actually, they can be made from the products we already have in our fridges and pantries.
So if your hair needs some loving and your pocketbook needs some extra moolah, check out these three all natural hair treatment recipes that will have you skipping the hair treatment aisle on your next shopping trip.
Olive Oil & Lavander Conditioning Scalp Treamtment
Olive oil is great for moisturizing hair. So if you've been a beach bum this summer, this treatment will be perfect for you. In addition to this treatment moisturizing your hair, the lavender oil that will make it smell good is packed with benefits too - including alleviating headaches, improving the elasticity of hair which prevents breakage, and making hair feel soft. Isn't it great?
Use this hair treatment every week.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 drops essential lavender oil
- Warm up the olive oil in a small saucepan.
- Remove the warm olive oil from heat and transfer into something for easy portability (I just put it in a cup).
- Add lavender oil and stir.
- In the shower, wet your hair and while it's damn and the olive oil is still warm, massage into scalp.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave in for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out the olive oil and shampoo and condition your hair as usual. Tada! You've got your very own and very easy to make hair treatment!
Mayonnaise & Avocado Hair Treatment for Dry Hair
This is an awesome conditioner for hair, especially if you have damaged hair like me. It has a bunch of the ingredients that beauty experts swear by like avocado and eggs (used in mayo). Avocado has oils which are really similar to the oil that our skin secretes, making avocado the most wonderful natural way to condition hair.
Prep time: 5 min
Leave-in time: 20 min
Yields: One hair treatment for dry hair
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, and pitted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Mash up the avocado in a bowl (I use a potato masher) and slowly add the mayo, mixing in the process.
- Massage the concoction into your scalp, covering your hair. When you've used up all of the treatment, cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave in for 20 minutes and proceed to shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
Sweet Hair Treatment for Shine
This one-ingredient treatment recipe will make your hair shiny and soft. It's so easy and the results are so good that maybe you'll be kicking yourself like I do for not trying it out sooner.
Do this treatment weekly and you'll see awesome results!
Do you plan to make your own hair treatment
Prep time: None!
Leave-in time: 20 min
Yields: One hair treatment
- 1/2 cup of honey, syrup, or molasses
- .1 - 2 Tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Massage the half cup of sweetness into your scalp while your hair is damn. If you want, mix olive oil into the honey to make it easier to apply.
- Cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave in for 20 minutes and shampoo and condition your hair as usual.