- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
DIY: Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer - Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera and Cinnamon Hand sanitizer.
Hand sanitizers are liquid formulations designed to kill bacteria on skin of hands.
Most of the sanitizers available in market contain high level of alcohol which irritates skin and cause drying of skin.Market based sanitizers are expensive and can take out moisture from your skin.Constant use of alcohol based hand sanitizer cause germs to develop resistance to sanitizing agent.
Say goodbye to those expensive alcohol based hand sanitizers,Create your own at home and keep germs at bay! This homemade hand sanitizer is great way to keep hands clean.
Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil is a volatile essential oil and Unlike the name suggests, this essential oil is not derived from plant associated with tea as a beverage but it is derived from the leaves of Australian native plant tea tree (melaleuca akternifolia).
- Tea tree has been used on skin for various skin infections like acne, lice, scabies, fungal infection, ring worm etc.
- It contains terpene, hydrocarbons and their associated alcohols.
- The anti-microbial activity of tea tree oil is mainly due to terpinen-4-ol.
- Tea tree oil kills bacteria and fungus, its known for its antiseptic and anti-fungal property.
- It also reduces allergic skin reactions.
Tea tree oil should never be taken orally or ingested and should be used for topical application only. Also it should not be used on babies younger than 6 months old.
- Aloe vera is a fleshy plant filled with gel from inside.
- It has many medicinal properties and has been used in creams and lotions.
- There are certain complex carbohydrates in aloe vera which possess antibacterial action.
- Aloe leaves contain anthraquinones (phenolic compound), salicylic acid and 72 other active ingredients.
- Salicylic acid and anthraquinones possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- Aloe vera contains 6 antiseptic agents: lupeol, salicylic acid, urea nitrogen, cinnamonic acid, phenols and sulfur and all these have inhibitory action on fungi, bacteria and viruses.
Any natural ingredient may cause redness, burning, stinging sensation in sensitive individuals. It is best to apply small quantity to a small area on skin first to test for possible allergic reaction.
- Cinnamon is fragrant, sweet spice and it is brown bark of the cinnamon tree which is available in its dried form or in powdered form.
- Cinnamon has many health benefits like cholesterol control, blood sugar control, memory booster etc.
- Cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde and several polyphenols (proanthrocyanidins and catechins), both these ingredients contribute to cinnamon's antibacterial properties.
- Cinnamon has been studied for its ability to prevent growth of fungi as well as bacteria. (its antimicrobial properties are so effective that recent research suggests that this spice can be used as an alternative to traditional food preservatives)
Recipe Of Hand Sanitizer.
Below I have listed the ingredients required to make hand sanitizer.
Aloe vera gel
Tea tree oil
1/2 Tea spoon
- In a bowl mix 1 Tsp of Aloe vera Gel, 5-6 drops of Tea tree oil, 1/2 tea spoon of cinnamon power and very little water.
- Take this mixture in mixer jar and mix it well till the consistency is smooth and easy to pour.
- Pour this mixture in a dry and clean bottle and use it as and when required.
- Your alcohol free home-made hand sanitizer is ready!