- Fashion and Beauty»
Diamond Buying Tips
Utmost care should be taken while buying diamonds. After all, these are the items that are bought once in a while.
Tips for Buying Diamond
Following list of diamond buying tips should help the prospective buyers while purchasing diamonds or jewelry made of diamond:
The rate (price per carat) of diamond increases with its weight. In other words, per carat price of 1 ct stone will be more that 0.96 ct stone.
- If someone is looking for a 1 ct piece, it is advisable to instead opt for 0.95 ct - 0.96 ct, because from a naked eye there won't be any visible size difference, but it will definitely put less burden on buyer's pocket.
Bigger diamonds are costlier than their smaller-sized siblings because of former being rarer in nature.
- If a shopper is not looking for a solitaire piece, then multiple small-sized stones will be a good option, instead of a one big stone. This approach can save lot of money without quality compromise.
With the increase in the size of diamond, its flaws and inclusions becomes easily visible.
- While purchasing higher carat weight diamond, it is very important to pay attention to its clarity. It is one of the four characteristics (other being cut, color and carat) - also called 4C's - of diamond that determines its value.
Usually, small flaws in the diamond are covered by putting a prong over it or by setting it in a mounting that hides these flaws (like - in a Bezel Setting).
- It's always better to buy loose and certified diamonds and have them set later in a mounting of one's choice. This allows the buyer to check any hidden flaws, and thereby getting the best quality stone at an appropriate price.
Inclusion at the bottom of a diamond is mirrored all around the stone, which reduces its beauty and value.
- It's important to check if diamond is having any inclusion or flaw at its bottom. If any such inclusion is present, then this type of stone should never be purchased.
Being corner-less, round stone is more robust and less likely to get damaged as compared to any other fancy-shaped stone.
- If the buyer is not having any special inclination towards any fancy-shaped diamond, then it's always better to buy a round-shaped diamond. After all, this classic shape has always been in trend.
- How much to spend? Well, it's a subjective choice, and depends on individual's budget. Sayings like - spend your 2 month's salary - is nothing more than a marketing strategy. So, it's always good to think about what is affordable.
So, following these small but important buying tips will allow diamond buyers to get a good return for their money. After all, expensive items like diamonds are once in a life-time purchase.