- Fashion and Beauty»
- Shoes & Stockings for Legs & Feet
Different Types of Compression Stockings
Doctors and healthcare professionals in today’s world prescribe compression stockings due to a variety of reasons. However, purchasing a compression stock from the pharmacy would not be an easy thing to do. That’s because many different types of compression stockings are available out there in the pharmacy for you to purchase. Therefore, you would need to have a clear understanding about the specific type of compression stocking that you need to purchase. Otherwise, you will not be able to deliver the best treatment for your health condition.
The compression stockings available out there in the market can be divided into four major categories. They have been categorized based on the compression level offered to the users. The compression level is measured in mercury millimeters. If the amount is a higher value, you will be able to receive a higher compression level from the stocking. Therefore, you need to have a clear understanding about this scale before you go to the pharmacy and purchase a compression stocking for you.
Here are the four major types of compression stockings that are available for sale in the pharmacy:
- Mild – The mild compression stockings have been designed in order to offer relief for tired and achy legs. They come along with an mmHg compression level between 8 and 15. If you are a person who spends a lot of time sitting or standing, this would be the ideal compression stocking available. That’s because it can assist your body to keep the limbs healthy and energized. On the other hand, people who are dealing with minor swellings in legs, ankles and feet can also think about purchasing the mild compression stockings. Pregnant women can purchase them in order to stay away from varicose and spider vein formation.
- Moderate – The moderate compression stockings offer a compression level in between 15 to 20 mmHg. They are prescribed for minor to moderate cases associated with the varicose veins in pregnant women. They can also be used in order to stay away from the hassle associated with achy and paining legs. They are in a position to ease the swelling that can be found in ankles, feet and legs. On the other hand, the moderation compression stockings are used to prevent the occurrence of vein thrombosis.
- Firm – The firm compression stockings offer a compression level that ranges between 20 and 30 mmHg. They can be helpful when dealing with deep vein thrombosis. On the other hand, they can effectively be used to prevent the cases associated with superficial thrombophlebitis, orthostatic hypotension, edema and active ulcers.
- Extra firm – The extra firm compression stockings are much similar to firm compression stockings, but they deliver a compression level in between 30 and 40 mmHg. They can effectively be used to deal with severe cases. For example, the firm compression stockings can eliminate the symptoms associated with postural hypotension.
As you can see, many different types of compression stockings are available in the market and you should go for the best one out of them based on your needs.