Different Ways To Wear a Black Skirt
If you've ever wondered why some women look perfect when they wear a black skirt, it's because they're not trying to outdo the skirt itself. They let the skirt do its job, and design around it.
So here's a list of classic ways to wear that black skirt that's collecting dust in your closet!
Wearing a Black Skirt with a Belt
When a belt is the same color as your skirt or pants, your waist will appear shorter and your legs longer; if the belt is a different color, your body will appear cut in half. The best belt balances the impact of color, texture, and contrast, so choose wisely.
- A black suede belt with silver buckle: A black mid-calf length wool skirt will look smashing with a black turtleneck and silver jewelry. Try cowboy-style shoe-boots to complete the look.
- A black patent leather belt: Wear a knee-length skirt with an animal-print sweater or twin set and black pumps for an eye-catching, attractive style.
- Match a black miniskirt with a wide, stretchy black belt and a crisp, collared white blouse for a look that's fetching, but not overtly sexy. Wear with black flats or riding boots.
- Or, try a high-waisted black pencil skirt with a narrow belt. Add a red silk blouse and gold jewelry for a chic look.
The Shoes to Wear with a Black Skirt
You can wear almost any type of shoes with a black skirt, but consider material, skirt length, and season of the year before you leave your home. Here are some examples.
- When wearing a black skirt with low-heeled Mary Janes, choose a skirt that comes to slightly above the knee. High-heeled Mary Janes should be worn with a skirt that ends at the knee. Woolen skirts are great to counter the sturdy style of the Mary Jane.
- A long, slinky silk or clingy velvet black skirt will look great with high black stilettos. Pairing this style skirt and shoe will make one's legs appear longer. A glittery evening top balances the slim lower half.
- If you'd like to wear your black skirt with loafers, try a mid-calf length. It will look fun when put with loafers of any height and an interesting vest over a fitted t-shirt.
Or, choose boots!
- Suede knee-high boots look very smart when worn with a knee-length black skirt
- Doc Martens look terrific with a black miniskirt and a newsboy-style cap.
- Wear a long, ankle-length black skirt with any type of ankle boots.
Wearing a Black Skirt with a Hat
The real trick to wearing a black skirt with a hat is to choose the right type of hat. Here are some general hat rules:
- A knee-length black skirt suit can be worn easily with a black felt pillbox hat, like Jacqueline Kennedy
- If you prefer a more casual hat like a beret, choose a mid-calf black skirt and a light-colored turtleneck
- A wider felt hat like a Breton can be worn very charmingly with knee boots and a black skirt in a heavy material, like wool.
Black Skirts in Costumes
There are so many directions to go with black skirts in costumes it's mind-boggling. But here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Go Edwardian with a long, slim black skirt and a silk blouse with a floppy bow at the neck
- Forget about a blouse! Grab your longest, swingiest black skirt and hike it over your chest, then cinch with a glittery belt
- Pair a black mini with black fishnet tights and high heels and show up at a party as a dancer! (Carry a small clutch purse and be prepared to accept dollar bills.)
What kind of black skirt is your favorite?
All You Need Are Three Black Skirts
- Chase, Deborah. Terms of Adornment: The Ultimate Guide to Accessories. Everything You Need to Know About Buying, Collecting, Wearing, and Caring for Them. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 1999