Do You Have an Inverted Triangle Body Shape?
Are you an inverted triangle?
Your body shape that is. If you are your shoulders will be wider than your hips and you won’t have much in the way of a waist. Sounding attractive eh? Actually a well toned inverted triangular shaped body is considered to be one of the more coveted body shapes. Many models and athletes have this shape so you’re in great company if you do too.
What problems can someone with this body shape encounter?
If clothes are not chosen wisely you could end up looking very top heavy and boxy; especially if you are carrying some extra weight.
Do’s and Don’ts for people with inverted triangle body shape
The main aim is to minimise attention to the chest and shoulders and draw attention to the slim legs and small hips. Below are 16 tips to look great in your clothes:
- Wear dark colours on your top half and lighter colours on the bottom. Because dark colours minimise and light colours make things look larger a sense of balance and proportion will be achieved
- Keep tops plain, unpatterned and without adornments. The eye will not then be drawn to the larger top half
- Tops with dropped shoulders help to minimise size of wide and large shoulders
- If wearing sleeveless tops, don’t go for spaghetti straps as they will only emphasise the broadness of the shoulders. Thicker straps or a halter neck will minimise shoulder width
- If you are fortunate enough to have slim arms; accentuate these with sleeveless tops but bear in mind strap advice given above
- A V neckline will draw the eye away from the shoulders and towards the bust line. However; beware of plunging necklines if you have a larger bust. Keep away from boat-necks
- Cropped tops and jackets are another no-no.
- Do not wear tight, clinging Lycra type tops as these will draw attention to a thick waist and a large top half. Try instead soft knitwear or jersey material which fit snugly but skim over the bits you don’t wish to accentuate. Wear tops to just past the hip to hide the waist and divert attention to slim legs
- Wear trousers or skirts that are fuller or have a flare to add width to hips and legs
- Never wear great big earrings or necklaces they will draw people to look at your shoulders. Instead keep all large jewellery to your lower half. Large chunky bangles and bracelets will draw their eyes to your slim hips. You could carry a large clutch bag too.
- Don’t wear anything with a high neck it will not flatter your shape and you will end up with the dreaded boxy look.
- Steer clear of floaty tops or anything remotely billowing as you will get the illusion of being big all over
- Shoulder Pads or puff sleeves would be a big mistake for the person with an inverted triangle shape
- Wrap and crossover tops are generally flattering for this body shape
- To balance the shoulders and hips go for patterned bottoms, tulip shaped skirts and wide leg pants
- Nip in the non-existent waist with a decorative belt
Famous Inverted Triangle Body Shapes
I mentioned at the beginning that you were in good company didn’t I? Here are 10 famous people with the same body shape as you:
- Cindy Crawford
- Renee Zellweger
- Teri Hatcher
- Naomi Campbell
- Demi Moore
- Lucy Liu
- Kelly Clarkson
- Dolly Parton
- Pamela Anderson
- Catherine Zeta-Jones
With this body shape; especially if you are on the short side it is easy to look chunky so do your best to keep your weight in check. Always wear high heels to flatter those slim pins and add height.
© Susan Bailey 9th May 2013 All Rights Reserved