From TV to Real-Life: Gossip Girl's Blair Waldorf's Collegiate Style
Longing to capture the prim and apropos style of Gossip Girl's Queen Bee, Blair Waldorf into your daily life, but end up getting lost in translation? This easy guide will give you the tips you need to know to emulate B's fashion do's into wearable chic for your everyday.
The Right Stuff
The largest cornerstone of Blair's approach to fashion is that she is always appropriate. She takes each event into consideration and dresses accordingly. Always look the part. Going to lunch with friends? Leave the little black dress at home. Important dinner to attend? Lipstick and heels are essentials. By paying attention to the context of your outing, you can ensure that you stand out for all of the right reasons. If you're unsure of the dress code, contact the host or hostess of the event, or restaurant, and they will be glad to assist you.
It's In the Details
B is always able to accomplish a timeless, consistent look because she stays true to her favorite motifs. Bows, ribbons, florals and other feminine details such as ruffles are some of her favorites, and these things give additional weight to her luxe appeal. While she may not favor a low-cut minidress like her BFF, Serena, Blair maintains a more innocent, flirty air with her girly leanings. By staying away from trends and focusing your attention to details, such as a delicate neckline, or a fine cable-knit, you can impress others with your understated glam. You should also stick to classic fabrics, such as cotton, linen, cashmere, and wool. These fabrics last infinitely longer than their polyester counterparts, and while they may be more expensive up front, will easily pay for themselves in comfort and endurance. Polyester is never OK!
Don't Be Afraid of Color!
Blair's outfits are rarely blasé, and she usually relies on color to accentuate her figure. Be sure to use hues which flatter your natural complexion. Here's a quick guide to selecting your perfect, personalized shades -
Warm skin tones:
Spring: A golden undertone that is white and/or creamy. Look for warm yellows, golden browns, spring greens and peachy pinks. The deeper saturated, the better!
Autumn: Tanned or dark skin with a golden undertone. Look for rich browns and greens, deep oranges and avoid blue-toned colors, like indigo.
Cooler skin tones:
Winter: Blue/pink undertones, with white, dark or olive color skin. Strong colors, like navy blue, black and bright red go well with this season. Avoid pastels - they will wash you out.
Summer: Blue/pink undertones, and light colored skin. Go for pastels if you're in this season, and avoid harsh colors like black and bright white.
- HEADBANDS! Blair loves her headbands, and they're a great way to add something special to your outfit. Pick up them up in your favorite colors and patterns and you'll never look back! They're also a great, easy way to incorporate bows into your wardrobe. You can also use scarves the same way, by using them to inject a splash of color or personality into your daily favorites.
- Tee shirts are a big no-no for Blair, but for us regular folk, try to find a slim cut tee in a flattering color with a sweet embellishment, such as a ruffled shoulder, or with some feminine detailing. J. Crew is your best bet for these finds.
- Collared oxford shirts should be your go-to for any casual outing. You can layer them up, or dress them down. They always look good with a cardigan and jeans, and even better with a high-waister skirt and belt.
- If you can't stomach the idea of wearing heels while running your errands, fear not! The dainty ballet flat will be your savior. Opt for a simple, sleep design, and if you need to, purchase an insole. You can buy flats in a variety of colors and patterns, and a brightly colored pair can provide the perfect extra-something in your daily ensembles.
- Never overdo it with your jewelry. Blair's look is understated, but if you want to get a little glamourous, you can always layer a few of your favorite bangles for an easy twist.
- Always look your best with a light application of makeup, but don't let your brushwork overshadow or overwhelm your face. Concealer, a light foundation, blush, mascara and lip gloss should do it.
Where to find preppy clothes in B's style
J.Crew offers the highest quality men's and women's clothing as well as children's clothing including cashmere, sweaters, women's dresses and shoes, men's shirts and ties, accessories and much more.
- Ralph Lauren
RalphLauren.com - The Official Site of Ralph Lauren. RalphLauren.com offers the world of Ralph Lauren, including clothing for men, women and children, bedding and bath luxuries, gifts and much more.
- Brooks Brothers
Business and casual clothing for men and women - classically modern dress shirts, ties, pants, and sweaters. Legendary quality and customer service are a click away.