Easy Homemade Hand Cream Recipe
Inspired by Marie ~
When I was working in the cosmetic business in a leading Dublin department store, I was introduced to a lady called Marie.
She worked for Estee Lauder and to this day, 25 years later I will always remember how her hands felt as I shook her hand for the first time. I had, and probably never have since, felt hands so smooth and soft in my life.
Marie’s entire arms and face were like porcelain. Soft creamy skin without a mark, freckle, age spot, wrinkle or indeed any aging sign whatsoever. As we got to know each other we became friends, meeting for lunch, talking shop, and I was always curious to know her secret to her smooth creamy, supple skin, just like a newborn babies.
Her secret was exfoliation, moisturize and weekly hot oil treatments. Never sunbathe and always wear sunscreen, always wear rubber gloves washing up, never use harsh soap or liquid soap and plenty of drinking water.
I have never forgotten those secret tips and still going strong for Estee Lauder is Marie in Dublin. When I am in the city centre I always pop in to see her and her amazingly perfect hands. At 60 plus years of age her skin is still the same.
It was remembering Marie that led me to this recipe idea.
Keeping Hands Moisturized
Check your Brand Rating
- Hand Cream Ratings & Reviews | GoodGuide
Over 700 hand cream brands rated and scored in 3 categories including health which covers chemical, banned substances and known problematic ingredients. Results may surprise you.
Hand Cream for Cuticles
- Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs
for all your ingredients and more! Excellent online suppliers of quality products.
Learn Hand Massage
Hand Care ~
Our hands are often forgotten about when it comes to due care and attention.
By that I mean exfoliating them and treating them daily to a hand lotion or hand cream.
What is it about our “digits” we don’t find appealing when it comes to maintaining them?
Feet and hands are the least looked after when it comes to skin care, in my opinion.
Our face is given the no. 1 priority along with hair care, body care and oral hygiene.
The skin is our largest organ and should be treated the same way we try to keep our heart, kidneys and other vital organs healthy.
Our diet, lifestyle and climate have a huge impact on our health and organ maintenance and they are all invisible. The skin’s top layer the epidermis, is constantly on view for all to see and for all chemicals and elements to abuse.
I have to hold my own hands up (pardon the pun) to the fact that my own hands probably don’t get the looking after they deserve with all the abuse they have to go through daily.
Harsh chemical agents, dipping in and out of water, rough drying of the hands, being exposed continually to the outside elements and having dead skin accumulate without removing it with a scrub or exfoliating product, all take their toll to leave hands not so appealing for many.
In a nutshell, without proper maintenance, our hands will be subject to the following:
- Sluggish Appearance
- Dead Skin Cell Build Up
- Skin Unable to Regenerate
- Poor Circulation
- Uneven Skin Texture
- Dry Chapped Skin
- Dark Age Spots More Noticeable
- Split Skin
- Dry Cuticles and Nails
- Skin Infections
- Bacterial Breeding Ground
Hand Cream Aids Cracked Fingers
Lavender Hand Cream
Lavender, Patchouli & Mint Hand Cream
Luxurious Lavender Hand Cream ~
This recipe makes approximately 6 oz of hand cream so you may split it into small containers or use one glass jar.
1/3 cup Sweet Almond Oil
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
2 tbsp Olive Oil
3 tbsp Grated Beeswax
30 drops Lavender Essential Oil
1 (6 oz or 8 oz) Glass Jar
- Add the sweet almond oil, coconut oil and olive oil to your saucepan and start to heat them over a medium / low setting until just warm (about 5-10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add the grated beeswax and continue stirring until it has completely melted.
- Pop the saucepan in the fridge for 10 minutes to start the cooling process.
- Remove from fridge and add in your Lavender essential oil. You may feel you need a few extra drops but do not exceed a total of 35.
- Stir in the fragrance combining it evenly and then pour the hand cream into your glass container or containers.
- Allow to cool completely.
- It will thicken as it cools and may be stored at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Storing in the fridge will produce a thicker (stiffer) consistency.
- Voila, one easy hand cream that will enable you to have a natural chemical free powerhouse treatment for your hands, you may use throughout the day.
- You need only apply a small amount as it is oily but does absorb.
- Combine with a hand scrub or hand exfoliator for the ultimate hand treatment.
Do you ever use hand cream or hand lotion?
For a thinner consistency use less beeswax, approximately 2 tbsp and for a thicker cream use 4 tbsp of grated beeswax.
These make ideal gifts for men and women by playing around with the essential oils and base oil.
A perfect product to include into an at home spa party for the girls or boys!
For makeup craft idea for teens this hand cream is great for teens to make for themselves or as gifts for friends, or as a favor gift at their party.
Hand & Body Lotion Recipe
Some More Homemade Essentials ~
- Homemade Lemon and Lime Hand Scrub
This lemon and lime hand scrub is one homemade skin essential suited for men and women. Often neglected our hands will be rejuvenated into being smooth and soft with sugar, olive oil, lemon and lime.
- Lip Scrub Recipe to Recondition Dry Lips
Do you suffer with dry or chapped lips? By doing a weekly homemade lip scrub will help recondition the lips restoring their natural beauty. Often neglected, our lips need help particularly in the winter months so help is on hand. With a few kitchen c
- Pumpkin Spice Lip Gloss or Lip Balm Recipe
Pumpkin Spice is a wonderful blend of aromatic spices that make great homemade Lip Gloss or Lip Balm recipes. Often reserved for Thanksgiving, here I show you lip recipes incorporating Pumpkin Spice.
- Homemade Shaving Cream
An easy to make homemade shaving cream for men and women which will leave your skin in tip top condition using natural chemical free ingredients. Recipe includes Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and Rosemary.
- Homemade Aromatherapy Cleanser Recipe
Homemade skin cleansers are easy to make using Aromatherapy ingredients. Essential oils have many beneficial uses in Aromatherapy, particularly in skin care and massages. Aromatherapy cleansers may use a couple of different essential oils or they may
- Top 10 Carrier Oils for Homemade Beauty Products
Carrier Oils or base oils are present in the majority of homemade beauty products and are an essential ingredient to add. There are a large amount of carrier oils available so here is my top 10 list.
"Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions"
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs