- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care»
- Facial Skin Care
Can Skin Aging be Delayed? Tips on Yoga, Food, Face Packs
Want to get compliments for your radiant skin at the age of 50?
‘Wow! You have crossed 50 years. But you still look 30.’
This is the compliment which can make a 50+ overjoyed.
But getting this compliment is possible, only if the skin looks youthful and firm.
And this is possible to achieve, with a little care and disciplined lifestyle
During teenage and young age, the skin naturally looks beautiful.
But it can not stay like that forever. As we age, fine lines and wrinkles are bound to appear.
Aging is a natural process. We cannot stop it, but we can definitely delay it.
How to take care of aging skin?
Everyone-- women in particular desire for a youthful, toned, bright, and healthy skin. And who wants sagging skin, fine lines or wrinkles on their faces, neck, chin, or any part of the body?
The markets are flooded with skin tightening creams, anti-aging creams, skin toning creams, which claim to help and correct the aging skin problems.
They are helpful to some extent, but temporarily. To maintain healthy and perfect skin one can conveniently adopt regular skincare regime by themselves.
With regular natural and herbal care, you would not even need to use these artificial products.
Anti aging and face lifting massage, Source: YouTube
What is the right age, when we should start taking care of our skin?
Right from the 20's, one should start taking special care of the skin. As we age, the skin slowly and gradually starts losing its moisture. The skin may start looking dry and dull. It looses it’s shine and elasticity.
Many factors are responsible for this. Some of them can be—
Direct Sun exposure,
poor food habits,
too much alcohol,
lack of nutrition,
stress and anxiety,
dehydration and other factors may speed up the process of aging.
These signs of aging can be delayed by adopting a healthy lifestyle, taking proper and nutritious food, enough sleep etc.
What is the proper diet for glowing skin?
A nutritious and balanced diet, enough sound sleep and relaxation are essential for maintaining youthful skin.
Smoking, too much fat in the daily diet, junk food should be avoided as far as possible.
Fruits and vegetables, rich in Vitamins A, B, and C should be included in the daily portions. For example Orange, Carrots, Spinach, Broccoli, and others.
Antioxidant rich food is best for your skin.
Water intake should be adequate for that soft, flawless skin.
Water keeps the skin hydrated. In the winter season, we need more hydration and therefore we should drink at least 12 glasses of water per day.
Smooth out facial wrinkles with massage, Source: YouTube
Facial Massage to prevent wrinkles and sagging of skin
Regular massage of the facial skin with Olive oil or any other suitable oil is important. Apply gentle upward strokes, starting from the neck, upwards towards the forehead, and temples.
The idea is to make the massage anti-gravity and anti-sagging. This helps to maintain facial contour as far as possible.
Massaging is also necessary for hands and legs with the same principle.
If you are using a cosmetic product or a moisturizer for massaging purposes, you must follow the guidelines provided on the pack.
This is the standard rule to be followed, while using a skincare product.
- Cleansing means loosening dirt and dust, and unclogging the skin pores by using warm water. After cleansing, cold water should be used to close and tighten the skin pores.
- Toning removes excess cleanser which might be left on your skin. Toners also stimulate circulation.
- Moisturising means protecting and rejuvenating the skin. They can be chosen according to the different types of skin--dry skin, oily skin or normal skin.
They are available in the form of gels, serums, lotions, creams or with SPF for sun protection.
Yoga poses for radiant and glowing skin
Like any other part of the body, the facial skin also needs exercises.
Yoga exercises such as:
These yogasanas are beneficial to maintain radiant skin.
While facial massage with Olive oil helps to get rid of dry and dead skin through exfoliation, these yogic exercises are very effective in toning the skin naturally.
- Another exercise to delay the wrinkles is to inflate your mouth with air, rotate the air within mouth from one side to another. Remember to keep your lips firmly closed. Slowly release after a minute. Repeat five to ten times a day.
Simhasana yoga pose for radiant face, Source: YouTube
For wrinkled and sagging skin, here are some of the best homemade face packs: Safe, easy to prepare and use.
Homemade skin care products are safe and effective. At least you know what you are applying to your precious skin.
- Milk, Curd, Fruits are used to make excellent facial masks.
- One of most effective facial mask is prepared with a mixture of honey, turmeric powder, few drops of lemon juice and raw milk.
- In Indian tradition, a combination of Sandalwood powder and turmeric powder paste is applied to the prospective bride and the bridegroom. This is done to provide the radiant glow to the skin.
- This face pack has immense skin benefits and is also considered auspicious.
- Due to the medicinal properties, the turmeric prevents skin infections, spots, blemishes, acne, and keeps the skin glowing and radiant.
- Drinking at least 10 to 12 glasses of water every day, Keeps the skin hydrated and glowing. And hydrated skin does not form wrinkles and it does not sag.
- Doing regular exercise, Yoga, morning, and evening walks are beneficial for glowing skin.
- Regular and gentle massage with olive oil or any other suitable oil.
- Eating healthy foods which includes fruits, nuts, green vegetables and avoiding unhealthy and junk food is necessary to prevent wrinkle formation and sagging of skin.
- Last but not the least, sound sleep is beneficial for skin health.
Skin is an important part of our body. In fact, it covers and protects our entire body. It regulates temperature, protects, manages wastes from the skin, and also breathes.
Therefore, it is very important to take care of skin. Any negligence can result in skin related issues such as rashes, acne, eczema to name a few.
Not only for a youthful look, because the skin is the first thing which can tell your age, but also to avoid spots, blemishes, wrinkles, and sagging skin, we must take care of our skin as we cross twenty years of age.
References and useful read about skincare : Dermatologist ‘s Advice
What do you prefer for skincare?
© 2017 Chitrangada Sharan