- Fashion and Beauty
Industrial Piercing: Everything you wish to know
Industrial piercing is another popular kind of piercing which is often referred as the Scaffold piercing. It is done on the upper cartilage of the ear. Industrial piercing involves two perforations, one is done at the bottom of the cartilage, while the other is done at the top of the cartilage which is near the head. It is highly recommended that the piercing is carried out by a reputed and reliable professional as there are high risks of going wrong.
- At the start of the piercing you might need to provide your identity proof. So ensure you carry a legitimate and lawfully accepted proof. You would also be asked to sign a consent form.
- Do some research about the possible options for jewelry required and get one for your piercing before-hand. It is often recommended to use Barbell whereby using jewelry made of steel or titanium would reduce the chances of allergies. Also confirm before using any form of jewelry, so that it is of the correct shape and size for your ear.
- The pierce would initially mark the spots for entry and exit where the cartilage is going to be pierced. He would do so by using a surgical marker. Do ensure you ask him to carry these steps of precautions which would include cleaning the area and sterilizing the needle as well.
- While carrying out the perforations the pierce must insert the piece of jewelry simultaneously and should clean the area of blood as well as remove the dirt to avoid any kind of infection.
- Avoid putting stress or even adding weights over the pierced area
- Do not touch your pierced area or jewelry at least for the first 3-4 days. Moreover, it is recommended that you do not play around the area of the jewelry for at least 5 to 6 months which is the usual healing time.
- Do not search for cheaper and lessor experienced pierces. It is a matter of your ears and there should be no compromises made towards the piercing costs or the jewelry used.
- Avoid using Hydrogen peroxide and disinfectant soaps for cleaning the pierced area.
Industrial Piercing Kits
- Straight Barbells 1-1.5 inch
- Forceps (Disposable)
- Sterile Piercing Needles
- Cleansers (Medicinal )
- Receiving Corks
- Skin Ointment
- Sterile Cotton Swabs
Getting Industrial Piercing done
Like any other form of piercing, Industrial Piercing comes with its own technique. The common practice for this piercing starts from the preparation by the pierce to have all the required items such as the needles, cottons, antiseptics, and jewelry with him. Washing the hands and wearing gloves, the pierce disinfects the ear. It is followed by marking the needle point on the ear and drawing a line which indicates the alignment of the jewelry. He follows it up by pushing the hollow needle and creating the 1st whole. Instantly the jewelry needs to be inserted through the whole. The pierce would create the other whole in a similar manner and insert the other end of the jewelry. Lastly, the blood needs to be cleaned up and the disinfectant needs to be applied to the pierced area.
Industrial Piercing Pain
Intensity of every piercing differs from one another and is directly dependent on the ability of the person of bearing the pain. Usually people having a better stamina to bear the pain would not find it troublesome for getting Industrial Piercing done. For industrial piercing the intensity of pain would also depend upon the kind of piercing done, i.e. vertical or horizontal. The feeling would feel more like a pinch and would not hurt much. However, the actual pain arrives during the healing and cleaning process. One suggestion which pierces recommend is twisting the jewelry while cleaning the area. This is the time at which it would hurt the most. One may say that it is only during the healing process when it hurts the most but the anticipation before getting the piercing done hurts the most.
Which kind of Industrial Piercing Jewelry would you prefer?
Industrial Piercing Infection
As Industrial piercing like any other form involves puncturing the skin for accommodating a jewelry, they can get infected. They may attract bacterial or viral infections and some signs which reflect infection are:
- Soreness in the pierced area
- Swelling in the pierced area
- Redness around the pierced area
- High intensity of pain while moving the jewelry
- Discharge of puss from the pierced area
In case any of these symptoms appear it needs proper attention and aftercare for healing the punctured area. One should clean the pierced area at least twice on a daily basis by using a saline solution. This saline solution should be prepared by half teaspoon of salt and a cup of lukewarm water.
Industrial Piercing Aftercare
- Clean the pierced area by using the saline water (as mentioned above) at least twice on a daily basis.
- One may also wash the area with salt water for two times a day and continue doing so till a month.
- One may also use anti-bacterial soaps (must be consulted with expert before using)