- Fashion and Beauty»
- Women's Fashion & Clothing Styles
Stuck in the '50s: The 5 Best Online Stores to Buy '50s Rockabilly Fabric
The 5 Best Online Fabric Stores and Why:
If you are an avid DIYer or vintage lover, and are looking for vintage fabric to create your own vintage look, sometimes the best way to find the right vintage fabric is online. If you are a risk-taker and a hunter, then by all means...search through thrift stores and garage sales; however, if you do not have the time to go thrifting for vintage fabric here is a list of my top five favorite online stores in which to purchase quality vintage and rockabilly fabric. Thank heavens for the internet!
1. The Rusty Zipper. I have preached about this vintage site in my other hubs, but I will go ahead and pound it into your heads one last time...RUSTYZIPPER.COM! They have a wonderful selection of vintage fabrics from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and the 1970s. At the moment, I am lusting after the atomic-print, rockabilly-style fabric pictured to the right. There is a whole 6 yards of this stuff and the price is not bad at all...$40.00! A circle-skirted shirtdress could be made out of this adorable vintage '50s fabric, with extra left over! Also pictured to the right is a vintage chintz fabric that would be absolutely gorgeous if made into a tablecloth or curtains and stuck in a rockabilly kitchen. J'Adore.
2. Etsy.com. One of my most visited sites for vintage anything is this site. If you have ever purchased any vintage items on etsy, you will know that the sellers are extremely professional and timely with any purchase when compared to eBay sellers, overall. The swiftest way to find vintage textiles on this site is to do a search. Select "Vintage" from the dropdown box next to the search field at the top of the screen and then type in "vintage fabrics". I recently did a search on vintage fabrics and it listed 19,347 items that fit the search words. You have to sift through some irrelevant items that have been made from vintage fabrics but for the most part there are some lovely vintage textiles to be found on this website. Take a look to the right and you will see vintage 1950s barkcloth at its best, with a lovely heart pattern. The creative possibilities with this vintage barkcloth are endless...throw-pillows for the living room, chair cushion covers in the kitchen, napkins or placemats for the kitchen, the list goes on...
3. Revivalfabrics.com. Talk about quality! This website has the best quality vintage fabrics...so much so that some of their fabrics have been used for costumes in two famous modern movies: Catch Me If You Can and Dreamgirls . Of course their selection of fabulous rockabilly '50s fabrics is broad, but they also have fabric dating back to the '20s. You will not want to overlook this online vintage fabric store. Check out the rockabilly cactus fabric above. My imagination goes wild with ideas for this classic cowboy fabric of the 1950s. How about making a rockabilly, button-up western shirt to go with your favorite pair of high-waisted jean capris? Or the perfect Christmas gift - a western shirt for that rockin' handsome man in your life.
4. Warmbiscuit.com. If you are a little more on the adventurous, playful side of the Rockabilly world, you may enjoy browsing the fabric selection at warmbiscuit.com. Yes, this fabric is advertised for children's clothing, bedding, and décor; however, use your rockin' rockabilly creativity and you could see the playing card fabric made into a sweet, little '50s summer dress. I can even picture this playing card fabric made into a bandana to wrap around my head while sitting in a 1967 thunderbird convertible, barrelling down route 66. Not all of their fabric is actually vintage fabric but has that timeless and fun vintage appeal. You may just find something whimsical that you could turn into an every-day wearable item, that may just remind you of your childhood.
5. Fashionfabricsclub.com. This fabric site has a gigantic selection of fabrics, from chenille to poplin, bark cloth to cashmere...and you will not want to miss these outstanding prices! The navy cocktail fabric above is on sale for only $5.00 a yard. Their gingham fabrics are something to remember. My mind gets lost in a sea of orange, blocked purple, and pink ginghams every time I visit this site. I simply cannot give you the best five online fabric stores without mentioning this particular page.
Vintage Textiles: Educate Yourself
Knowing what is the best quality and best deal on vintage fabrics takes a lot of practice and a good deal of patience. You simply must educate yourself on the different types of vintage textiles and which types of textiles were used in which decades of the 19th century. Below is a list of books available on Amazon that could get your vintage textile education started in the right direction. Learn as much as you can and be as creative as you can and you will be successful in designing and building the perfect rockabilly or vintage look...to clothe your body and decorate your house!
Educate yourself on vintage textiles in America.
Other Rockabilly Hubs:
- Rockabilly Pin-up Hairstyles for Women How-Tos, Part...
New to the Rockabilly scene? Are you dying to learn how to do your hair in those hot retro Rockabilly Pin-up hairstyles? No problem!
- Rockabilly Pin-up Hairstyles for Women How-Tos, Part...
You have the rockabilly clothes, the rockabilly tunes, and the rockabilly attitude, but you need the rockabilly hair! In this hub, I will give you instructions and tips on how to do your hair in different women's rockabilly hairstyles. We will use so
- Stuck in the 50s - Rockabilly Style Clothing Online ...
To be successful in creating your own Vintage Rockabilly look, you will need to know the best websites to find those key 1950s rockabilly pieces. In addition to some fabulous rockabilly vintage pieces that can be found online, there are also quite a
- Stuck in the '50s: Rockabilly Outerwear for Winter 2011
Do you consider yourself to be Rockabilly? Or maybe you just love the rockabilly style and flair? Well, this winter you can stay warm and still be "cool" by picking yourself up a rockin' Rockabilly style...
- Rockabilly Clothing Online Shopping for Men
There are hundreds of websites that sell rockabilly gear for the ladies...but how about the rockabilly guys out there? Trust me, there's plenty of cool gear for the fellas, too. You just have to know where to...