- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
Hair Problems- Henna, a Perfect Remedy
My mother dyes her hair with henna. And I thought of henna just as a natural method of covering grey hair. But I once saw my gorgeous and trendy cousins dying their hair with henna. The rich luster and great thickness of their hair inspired me to try henna on my hair too.
The notable thing was that one of them had dark brown hair and other one had deep red hair with burgundy flicks in between. She told me that she used henna with some other natural ingredients being mixed with it. And the results were different for both of them depending on the original color of their hair.
Henna made their hair lavishly colored, shiny, smooth and quite strong. So the purpose of using henna was not just dyeing hair but making them strong, thick and long.
Benefits of Henna for Hair
Henna is preferred over other cosmetic hair dyes and treatments because of its extraordinary beneficial qualities. It is mostly used as a natural hair dye but at the same time it is also a great natural hair conditioner. Henna has properties that can strengthen hair from the root.
- Improves hair texture: Henna contains natural ingredients important for hair nourishment. It shares a great bond with hair as it helps to penetrate, cleanse, and thicken the hair shafts which improve the quality of hair.
- Covers gray hair: Henna is a natural dye which gives a reddish brown color to the hairs and covers gray hairs naturally.
- Cooling agent: Henna is a great cooling agent. Due to natural cooling effect of the herb, it improves eyesight and gives sound sleep. So clearly henna should not be used if you have cold.
- Conditioner: Henna also works as a nice hair conditioner.
- Brown hair dye: When henna & indigo both applied to hair it gives lovely dark brown color to the hair.
Henna as Hair Dye
Henna also known as hina or mehndi is a powder dye prepared from the plant Lawsonia Inermis. Henna has been used since ancient times to dye skin, hair, hands and fingernails.
Commercially packaged henna, intended for use as a cosmetic hair dye, is available in many countries, and is popular in India, as well as the Middle East, Europe, Australia, Canada and the United States.
The color that results from dying with henna depends on the original color of the hair, as well as the quality of the henna, and can range from orange to auburn to burgundy.
Adding natural ingredients like yogurt, coffee, tea water, amla, shikakai, methi, egg, lemon, coconut milk, olive oil and mustard oil etc. to the henna paste, adds to its benefits manifolds.
Henna can be mixed with other natural hair dyes including Cassia Obovata for lighter shades of red or even blond, or with indigo to achieve brown and black shades. Some products sold as "henna" include these other natural dyes.
Henna for Dandruff Prone Hair
Henna treatment is very beneficial for dandruff control. It helps to restore normal balance of scalp and prevents dandruff. Lemon is a natural product for dandruff control and when mixed with henna to create a hair pack it assists in getting strong and healthy hair as well as a clean scalp.
Method of Making Henna pack for Dandruff control:
- Add 4 teaspoons each of lemon juice,
- mix two whipped raw eggs,
- take one teaspoon fenugreek seed powder (methi)
- and enough water to the four spoons of henna powder,
- two spoons of yogurt.
Mix all these ingredients well to form a smooth paste without any lumps. Apply the pack on the scalp from roots to the tips of the hair. Leave on the paste for at least 30 minutes and wash off with mild shampoo and conditioner.
Henna for Dry Hair
Dry hair need more conditioning to make them manageable. Otherwise they tend to break and also result into split ends. Coconut milk or cream is good for dry hair. It helps to moisturize hair and also aid in getting thick and voluminous hair. It stimulates hair growth getting deep into its follicles. It adds luster, shine and softness to the hair. It also prevents hair breakage and split ends and results in faster hair growth. Henna is used to condition hair naturally in our tradition since time immemorial. And it becomes more beneficial.when henna is added with coconut cream
Steps to make henna-coconut hair pack:
- Blended coconut cream and add four tablespoons of henna to it along with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients to a thick consistency.
- Apply this hair pack evenly on your hair and scalp.
- Keep it for an hour and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will be smoother, shinier and stronger.
Henna and Mustard oil for Hair Fall Treatment
If you spend a lot of time worrying about hair fall problem then mixture of henna and mustard oil is a great natural home remedy.
Mustard oil helps strengthen your hair follicles and has antibacterial and anti fungal properties that help heal and protect your scalp from common infections such as dandruff that is known to cause hair fall. It also helps your hair look lustrous and shiny.
- Take 250 ml of mustard oil in a tin can and add 60 gm of washed and dried henna leaves.
- Now boil the mixture the leaves burn and then filter the oil.
- Massage your scalp with it on a regular basis and store the rest in an airtight bottle.
Apply this oil regularly and massage it into your scalp to beat hair fall and induce hair growth.
Henna - Perfect Remedy for Hair Problems
Henna is a perfect substitute for costly saloon hair treatments and its DIY task and is in budget too. Henna is extremely beneficial for your hair. Apart from improving the texture of hair and making scalp dandruff free and healthy, henna also repairs damaged hair cuticles and makes the strands of your hair thick and strong. in this way it helps in reducing hair fall. Herbal henna darkens hair, acts as natural hair conditioner, controls dandruff and also prevents hair loss. So, henna becomes a perfect remedy for all kinds of hair problems.
We need to take care of applying proper hair pack for different hair problems. Moreover it is essential to wash your hair properly after henna application. After two or three applications of henna, the color will deepen further. Use a lot of conditioner to help with the washing process. If you don't wash it all out well, then your scalp will feel itchy, and gritty. There is no need to oil your hair at least for 24 hours of henna application.
So with henna what you get is strong, shiny and great looking hair which look awe-inspiring and adding grandeur to your personality.