Get More from Your Makeup
Today’s formulas do more than add color – they protect and perfect skin too.
Skin renews itself every 28 days, a process that allows dulling dead cells to be sloughed off and newer, healthier – and more glowing – skin to shine through. Amazing, for sure. But the process slows in our 30s, contributing to skin that looks ashy and less than radiant. Don’t panic: You can give skin a helping hand by exfoliating two to three times per week. (If you’re prone to acne, make that once weekly with an extra-gentle scrub). In addition to diligent skin polishing, and morning and evening moisturization, take advantage of today’s radiance-boosting makeup – you’ll love the results.
- The newest foundations refresh your skin to bring out a youthful dewiness and they offer full-coverage color to minimize the appearance of age spots and fine lines. CoverGirl Advanced Radiance Age Defying Liquid Make-Up, which boasts hydrating ingredients like vitamins B3, B5 and E, is a lightweight formula with a soft-looking finish that doesn’t fade even after 10 hours of wear. It also contains the antioxidant green tea to protect your skin from harsh environmental elements like sun and airborne pollution. It has an SPF of 10 and it’s available in 15 shades.
- Two more foundations that help enhance your natural glow: Maybelline New York Pure Makeup Shine-Free Foundation, available in 12 shades, which contains 50 percent more water than many of the existing foundations on the market; and Almay Line Smoothing Liquid Makeup SPF 15, with calming cucumber and green, red and white teas to help minimize fine lines and wrinkles.
Hydrate and condition lashes
You condition your hair, you moisturize your skin, but when was the last time you thought about giving your eyelashes a bit of nourishing TLC? We’re all so obsessed with having full lashes that we often abuse these fine hairs by curling them and layering them with coats of mascara. Over time, excess manipulation like this can lead to thinning lashes.
- The newest mascaras have vitamins like panthenol (a form of B5) and amino acids to protect. Two to try: Bare Essentuals Big Tease Mascara with panthenol and Estee Lauder Lash XL Maximum Length Mascara with silk proteins and amino acids. Try one in this season’s hottest color: basic black. It frames your eyes like no other hue – you may even be able to skin eyeliner.
Conceal and nourish
Chances are, you currently apply concealer with one or two missions: to hide pesky blemishes and to disguise dark undereye circles. Get ready for the new breed of cover-ups that conceal and hydrate skin – including the delicate undereye area. Since the skin surrounding the eyes is thinner than the rest of your face, it’s important to hydrate, nourish and protect it as often as possible. Find a treatment concealer that really delivers benefits.
- The newest concealers are, in fact, full of beneficial perks: they camouflage deep circles, deflate puffy eyes and help diminish fine lines. Reach for Clinique All About Eyes Concealer with color-correcting particles that cause light to reflect off skin, diminishing the appearance of dark circles and evening out discoloration. Hydrating glycerin also helps temporarily fill slight surrounding wrinkles; choose from seven shades. I also like Physicians Formula Cover ToxTen Wrinkle Therapy Concealer with an ingredient called GABA (short for Gamma Amino Butyric Acid, a topical muscle relaxer that helps temporarily minimize expression lines); vitamin C also helps keep skin youthfully radiant. It comes in four skin-flattering shades.
Keep lips soft and gorgeous
It’s a universal beauty fantasy for women: finding the perfect lipstick shade that feels creamy (to relieve any chapping) and the color really stays true all day – period.
- The newest lipsticks do all that plus more. That’s why we call Origins Flower Fusion Hydrating Lip Color a genie in a petite-sized tube. Available in 24 super wearable shades, it contains two plant-derived ingredients: flower wax and rice wax. Both team up to help your lips retain moisture longer. Wax in lipstick can work like shea or cocoa butter in a body lotion. It locks onto your lips to help moisture penetrate and color stay on top. For those who prefer gloss, L’Oreal HIP Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss will become your new favorite; it’s infused with jojoba oil to condition lips and it comes in 10 high-shine shades.
Strengthen your nails
Although I don’t think of nails as “radiant,” chipping, peeling and scruffy cuticles are anything but. Daily use of a rich hand cream will keep skin soft and prevent annoying chips that are caused when the nail becomes dehydrated from hand washing or overly-strong polish removers. (Stick with nonacetone removers – they’re gentler.) Equally important: keep nails strong with protein (like keratin, for example) to encourage new growth. A bonus: when nails are hard, colored polish glides on smoother and stays on longer. Bonus: Nail polish acts as a protective layer on nails. It prevents drying chemicals (like those found in harsh household cleansers) from reaching the nails’ surface.
- The newest polishes double as strengtheners. I like Sally Hansen Diamond Strength No Chip Nail Color. It uses bio-marine protein (a keratin byproduct) to strengthen nails and encourage new growth. Also good: Pantina Nail Lacquer, which helps protect against environmental damage with special ultraviolet light filters, vitamin B5 to harden, and vitamins C and E to nourish. It comes in three pastel-pink spring shades.
Prime First, Then Add Makeup
Makeup primers hydrate and brighten, as well as help foundation glide on smoother and stay put longer. These four work for all different skin types.
- If you have oily skin, apply Per-fekt Skin Perfection Gel over your daily moisturizer; it’s an oil-free, gel-based primer that contains vitamins A and E.
- For normal / combination complexions, moisturize, then spread a thin layer of Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Toning Lotion onto your face. Unlike typical toners that help to power-clean pores, this toning lotion actually acts as a primer and boasts skin-brightening vitamin C and hydrating rice-germ extract.
- If you have dry skin, smooth on Becca Silky Hydrating Primer over your daily moisturizer; it packs water and glycerol (a form of glycerin) to lock in hydration.
- For sensitive skin prone to irritation, moisturize, then spread a dime-sized amount of Givenchy Acti’Mine Make-Up Base SPF in Kiwi; it contains complexion-friendly calcium.