Guide to Buying Electric Clippers
Which Clippers Should I Buy?
Purchasing electric clippers can be a time consuming and challenging process if you are not armed with the right knowledge.
Ideally you would like your purchase to be meaningful, in the sense that the clippers you are buying should be of quality and last a long time before having to purchase another one.
Taking care of you investment is always a great idea. A good pair of clippers that have been taken care of can last you a very long time, we're talking at least 3-5 years. Over time the investment should pay for itself. Check out this article on how to keep them working like new.
I always look for quality over price when making a decision like this.
Top Electric Clipper Brands
The market currently offers many brands. Here are the top ones:
Not all electrics clippers have been created equally. Do you homework and choose ones that will last you a long time. Be sure to choose ones that come with lubricating oil, and also a small brush to help clear out hair that has been cut already.
Does a Low Price Mean Good Value or Bad Quality?
Does a low price mean good value or bad quality? This is tricky question to answer. Due to competing markets and the ability to purchase goods from sources from all around the world because of the internet, one might be able to purchase a good set of clippers for a low price.
This does not mean that the quality of the product is poor. It could simply mean you are getting a good price because there are less middle-men involved in the sale. The name of the brand is usually a good indicator of the quality of the product and also how many extra features are offered, a good one is taper control.
Keep in mind that electric clippers aren't made to last forever, but taking care of them will definitely extend the life and the quality of your haircuts.
The combs that are provided also tell a tale of how easy it will be to use the clippers. If the comb attachments are made of rubber, you may have a hard time getting them to fit into place.
Oster Blade Wash
Keeping Them Working Like New!
In order for your clippers to work optimal at all times and for many years to come, you need to take care of them. Check out this link on how to Extend The Life Of Your Clippers This includes cleaning them before, during, and after use. Lubricating the clipper blades after using. And last but not least, cleaning the clipper blades every so often with a professional cleaning product.
- Clean your clippers using the brush provided (it's usually the smallest brush that came with the clippers). It's important that you clean all around the blades before using or lubricating them. It's also a good idea to clean out all clogged hairs that have been caught during use. This keeps the blades free to cut new hair, and prevent the blades from getting hot too quickly. Always brush away all hair when you done using your clippers.
- Lubricating the blades after cleaning away the hair and using the clippers will help keep the blades conditioned and well oiled for the next use.
- Use a professional cleaning and lubricating solution to keep the blades working a new for a long time. I would say to clean them at least once every 10 times of using the clippers.
Oster 76076-010 Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper (5 stars)
This is by far the best pair of electric clippers I have used and owned. Not only is it fast, but it can literally cut through any type of hair, especially coarse hair!
This is the standard for most barbers, professionals, home barbers, and those who cut their own hair. The quality is superb, and the detachable combs make cutting hair a different lengths a breeze.
- Powerful, heavy duty universal motor cuts through thick, wet hair efficiently and quickly
- Detachable Cryogen-x blade system allows quick and easy blade changing , thirteen blade sizes available
- Strong valox material makes the clipper housing virtually unbreakable
- Includes size #1 and #000 detachable Croygen-x blades, blade guard, blade oil, clipper grease, cleaning brush and instruction sheet
Oster Fast Feed (5 stars)
Amazing value for the price. The Oster Fast-Feed's adjustable blade setting allow you to adjust the taper control. Meaning you can get really close, or adjust it to be a little longer.
The Fast Feed is also quiet in its operation. Its adjustable blade and four included combs can handle short- to medium-length hair. It runs quietly and doesn't get hot to the touch
- Convenient adjustable blade allows you to quickly change the length of cut from very close to medium length
- Provides fast and accurate cutting
- Includes fast feed adjustable clipper, size 000 to size 1 blade, blade guard, 4 guide combs, blade Oil and cleaning brush
- Includes pivot motor which provides the power to cut even wet hair
Andis Clipper Combo with T-Clipper (4 stars)
The set includes both a good quality electric clippers with an adjustable blade, and also a smaller high speed trimmer that is good for outline beards, moustaches, sideburns, and hair lines. The combs that come with the set however have been noted to be of a flimsy plastic.
The combo is good if you're looking to get two products for the price of one. But keep in mind that because you are getting to clippers, the quality of the parts are most times of lower quality.
- Close-cutting t-outliner trimmer perfect for trimming, outlining and shaving
- Professional magnetic motor trimmer comes equipped with close cutting t-outliner comfort edge blade
- Hanger loop allows for easy and convenient storage
Andis Promotor + Trimmer
These electric clippers are just ok. The metal plate below the clippers gets warm and if used continuously, they become hot.. Ok price, not so good value. The comb attachments as well seem to be of a flimsy plastic.
- 27 piece Complete Home Haircutting kit is anchored by a powerful clipper and trimmer
- The clipper is four times more powerful than a comparable magnetic motor unit
- Trimmer is prefect for detailing and trimming necklines, beards and sideburns
- Both units feature a contoured housing for comfortable cutting and trimming
- Kit tucks away in convenient storage case
Wahl 79524-3001 Home Barber
These clippers were designed to provide a complete home barber experience. It has a lot of extras that include a batter operated touch up trimmer, a smaller personal trimmer with two heads, and finally a multi-cut trimmer.
Don't be too surprised at what you get in terms of quality. You are getting 3 trimmers for the price of one. These clippers will most likely break quickly, and usually at a time when you really need them! Shopper beware.
Also the comb attachments also don't always seem to cut the hair to the desired length with consistency.
- 30-piece complete haircut kit makes haircutting at home even easier
- Contains a multi-cut clipper, cordless touch up trimmer and cordless personal trimmer with 2 heads
- High-carbon steel blades stay sharp longer
- 5 year limited warranty on the clipper and 2 year limited warranty on the trimmers